16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Kind of a neat find
drcook
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:15 am  Reply with quote

I am going to strip and redo the stock/fore end on the old 16ga Savage 755A that was my dad's. Other than chippies in the wood finish the gun is in great condition, showing little wear.

I took the buttplate off and inside was a piece of paper saying

Oct 21, 1953
From Shirley
To Jack
Happy Birthday

I have no idea who Shirley or Jack are, they are not family members. But now I know the history of the gun before my dad got it. It was Jack's and he got it for his birthday.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Nice discovery, thanks for the story. And it tugged some heartstrings too.

B.
stubshaft
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

On most of my guns. I put the original bill of sale and Registration in the buttstock. I figure that my heirs may come across it someday or someone else down the line might find it.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
drcook
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:23 am  Reply with quote

I used to use Picturetrail to post pictures here, however, it shut down. What are folks using now ? Then I can post a picture of the note.

I am going to preserve it.

Cheesy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:58 am  Reply with quote

drcook wrote:
I used to use Picturetrail to post pictures here, however, it shut down. What are folks using now ? Then I can post a picture of the note.

I am going to preserve it.

Postimages.org is super easy and requires no account.

Choose image. Upload it. Copy the link of “hyperlink for forum” and simply paste in here.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Very cool. My father's gun was also a 16ga Savage 775a. I recently gave it to my nephew; long story.

I've used Imgur since photobucket got weird; also very easy.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
drcook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://lunapic.com] [/URL]

oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Very cool find indeed. The first thing I always do when I get a new gun home is look inside the butt stock. I've never found anything yet. I have a Savage 775A in 16 and I love it. By the way .....that wouldn't be a Starrett 440 depth micrometer on the left side of the picture would it ? I'm a machinist by trade , and it looks somewhat familiar...LOL....

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
Mossberg model 190 bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
drcook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

oneeyednine1029 wrote:
Very cool find indeed. The first thing I always do when I get a new gun home is look inside the butt stock. I've never found anything yet. I have a Savage 775A in 16 and I love it. By the way .....that wouldn't be a Starrett 440 depth micrometer on the left side of the picture would it ? I'm a machinist by trade , and it looks somewhat familiar...LOL....

Well probably is. I was a tool maker/high precision machinist in my younger days before a hand surgery and future income potential ended that. I wrote software for most of my life. In the greater Akron Ohio area machinists weren't paid the best.

I miss working with the machines (sometimes). Because I was an artist at heart, I made things accurate and pretty ! Being a bit of a perfectionist, I could never use tolerances, so I learned how to make things perfect in the same amount of time most folks made things just ok. Saved a business a contract one time and got a whopping .25 an hour raise. BFD.

Do you know what a Hardinge Toolmakers Lathe is ? I once chased a 0000 thread for an instrument on one. No one thought I could do it Very Happy Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Did you put the note back in?

Seems like the right thing to do.

Best,
Ted

drcook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Did you put the note back in?

Seems like the right thing to do.

Best,
Ted

No. Its starting to deteriorate. In another 10 15 yrs it will be gone. I am going to laminate it and get it away from the oxygen or see about a small frame with conservatory glass and put it with my memorial stuff that I hand down to someone

but

I am going to make a copy and put that back in.

oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Dave , I'm a machinist by trade going on 30 some years now. Still got all 10 fingers too...LOL.... I've worked with tenths tolerances before. And chased more threads than I care to remember. I also like to make things better than they need to be. I always tell people , I make things like they're my own. Always take great care and hit "the number". Close enough isn't good enough for me. I did some work in mid Ohio with the last job I had. Mansfield area , small town called Congress and West Congress....good people. 0000 thread is almost microscopic...... WOW....I've tapped some 0-80 before. Good luck with your 775, I love mine though I really should shoot it more. I just have too many right now.....
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/l633/oneeyednine1029/IMAG0267_zpsdd069018.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
JC Higgins bolt action
drcook
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

I also have all 10, the operation was from a childhood injury to my wrist. I stopped working in shops 40 years ago. All the places I worked at are gone. The last shop I worked in was Goodyear Aerospace in the Defense Systems Division. I worked on lots of stuff including guidance systems for nukes.

I was involved in the buildup that eventually brought down the Soviet Union. I machined 98% of the tuning parts for the Pershing II nuclear missile amongst other stuff. There were a bunch of very talented people there back then. Some not so talented and hacks, some very talented, gifted machinists.

Back to the 755, the wood came out really nice. I am going to put in all new springs, a new brass friction ring and take it hunting. Maybe eventually I will have choke tubes put in, maybe, I have a stack of Ithaca 37 16ga guns that actually fill every niche.

drcook
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

This was the before

oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thats a beaut....nice wood....sounds like fascinating work. Gun turned out awesome....I also have several guns for almost every niche.

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
JC Higgins bolt action