16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  dehaan, cz question?
up-hunter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Ok from what i understan dehaan and CZ are basically the same guns, so what i can't understand is why the big price difference, dehaans are around 700 where CZ" are around 1000 what is the difference? Just wondering.
birddog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Up-hunter,
The only difference I've seen is their warranty. DeHaan is 2 yrs NQA. and CZ has a 5 yr warranty. Both made in the Huglu factory in Turkey. I've got a DeHaan model SO, good gun and good shooter.
Happy New Year
Charlie
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Upgraded wood and closer tolerances
storybrown
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

Upgraded wood & higher tolerances for the Ringneck - right (at that level or grade - there are lots of different kinds/grades of DeHaan, I think), and also generally a better feel & carry, generally. I have never shot a DeHaan, but I've handled several. I have a new CZ Ringneck 16 and it is a really great shooter - just about my favorite, maybe. (Don't know about the Bobwhites - never seen one up close - but they seem closer to the DeHaans you're talking about). The Ringneck's safety seemed a little sticky at first. I'm thrilled with it. I notice these prices are creeping/drifting higher, & then there's taxes &c. They won't get any cheaper, and there're not many 16 Ringnecks.
popplecop
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I own both and there are a number of differences, I prefer DTs so my comments will be limited to the DeHaan SO and CZ Bobwhites. The DeHaan is a 12 ga and is my primary waterfowl gun. Finish is a lot better than CZ, also has side clips. The CZs are in 20 ga. and 28 ga. The 20 gets use on ducks over decoys and other upland and pasture clays. The 28 is used on grouse and woodcock, and is an absolute joy to carry all day. None of these shotguns have ever given me any trouble, DeHaan has been around for 5 years the CZs for 2. The CZs get lot pasture clay shooting each is approaching 1000 rounds, now that's not much for a clays shooter. I bought these for rought usage SxSs in the field and occasional clays shooting. I don't have any problem with any of these.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps cost variance is due to CZ's higher overhead. I think the guns are basically the same. Both would meet the same quality level.

USAFA 71
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Well, I just called and talked to Cody at DeHaan. Mark's guns are made to his specifications, which include slightly different stock dimensions, and options. Once the guns are received by Mark, he goes through the internals checking triggers, cocking levers, cocking blocks, sears, sear selectors, etc, asl well as functions testing and test firing each gun.

Mark has a two year warranty, as opposed to the five year warranty from CZ, but Mark also has a 7-day return policy which CZ does not have.

If anyone has questions on the DeHaan, just call and ask them. They are good people to work with. I have two of them, one O/U and one SxS, and really like them.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 am  Reply with quote

[quote="USAFA 71"] Once the guns are received by Mark, he goes through the internals checking triggers, cocking levers, cocking blocks, sears, sear selectors, etc, asl well as functions testing and test firing each gun.

quote]

That statement could be interpreted two ways:

1) DeHaan goes out of their way to insure a quality product

2) The quality of the guns as received from Huglu is so bad all this checking is needed to insure the customer receives a quality product.

If the guns were truly built to DeHaan specs with an approved quality plan in place then all this checking by DeHaan would not be needed. I wonder what DeHaan's reject rate is?

With a background in manufacturing this statement by DeHaan does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Quality must be built into the process. Quality cannot be inspected into the process. Just another reason to be leary of Huglu products now.
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:27 am  Reply with quote

Hardly. I'm very impressed with DeHaan. Maybe this helps explain why:

http://randywakeman.com/DeHaanModelU216Ga.htm

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Randy-some great writing. Hope you will drive up from Indy to Chicago May 18-20th for the Event at the Northbrook Sports Club-all gauges, trap. skeet, sporting clays. Speciial 16 gauge events as well.

kosinar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Agree with the first sentence. But. If your manufacturing process is not stable enough to turn out consistent quality of parts then 100% inspection is capable to sort out nonstandard parts out of the output. This is very costly method and always used as the desperate effort to prevent sending out bad product. Always indicates shortcomming on part of the engineering.
justintime2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:52 am  Reply with quote

The Dehaan is customized and "put together" in the USA and that is where the money is kept (although anymore who knows). If you like that fact, then go with the Dehaan. The most important fact is that you need to have it fitted or send them your dimensions. I looked at a Ringneck at the local Cabelas and they didn't even know that it was cast for a left handed shooter! Shocked Plus, I like light weight guns and it felt like swinging a club - doing alot of walking when I hunt makes me appreciate the lighter weight guns. Again, every gun comes down to what you want out of it, just please make sure it is properly fitted since it is new and you won't have to go through the effort of bending stocks and watching them bend back.

OOPS - I just realized that the SGr Deluxe is the one that comes with a custom fitted stock. Again - more quality and workmanship, more money just like anything. Look at paying definitely over $1000 for the SGr Deluxe.

As far as cost, (back to the basics) get the best gun, with the best fit for the best price that you can afford. If you want specific things out of a gun that these cannot offer, save more money and keep looking. I don't buy shotguns under $2000 anymore because my tastes have changed. I've seen good "working" guns under $1000 but they are usually heavier and more bulky than what I desire.