16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Springfield, Stevens Arms Company 5100
Danth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Just picked up a Springfield 16ga and am looking for some thoughts on this gun. It is marked as a Springfield, Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls, MASS, USA. It has a 5100 action. Springfield was supposedly the lower grade Stevens made gun. This gun has what looks to be factory checkering on stock and forearm. The front bead is ivory along with an ivory mid bead. The buttstock has an unmarked red with black trim cushion butt plate. Think these features were options or gunsmith installed? Thanks, Dan
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

Dan,
Shoot her and enjoy her !!
Pleased to have you posting
Mike

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/shotguns-sav/5100

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like the twin of a gun I have, right down to the ivory beads and red recoil pad. I believe they were factory original. Mine's been a great gun; enjoy!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Danth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 am  Reply with quote

The gun apparently is from 1939-1948. The choke is mod/imp. Do you know if these chokes could be special ordered?
Danth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 am  Reply with quote

The gun apparently is from 1939-1948. The choke is mod/imp. Do you know if these chokes could be special ordered?
Danth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:27 am  Reply with quote

silverbowff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:22 am  Reply with quote

I believe the fixed chokes were related to barrel length. Longer the barrels the tighter the chokes in those early guns. What is your barrel length?

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Danth wrote:

I have an Eastern Arms 5100 SXS sold by Sears. According to J.T. Callahan, Savage Arms Historian, the Model 5100 shotguns was produced by the J. Stevens Arms Division of Savage starting in 1941 and continued in production until 1948. It was sold both under the Stevens and Springfield names as well as other brand names, including the Eastern Arms trade name used by the Sears Roebuck Co.

He also stated that it is basically a 311 or 5151. The 5100 stamp was used to indicate a change in the frame design. and it was used to distinguish between the old and new designs.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty bulletproof old guns, nicely proportioned in 16 gauge. One of the ladies who participated in a company trap league I shot on, back in the day (30 years ago, hard to believe) had one, and a few years in I asked her who kept her gun clean? Well, nobody did, so, yearly, I stripped and cleaned the old gun. She shot with us, and returned home to North Dakota, to hunt ducks and pheasants with her brother’s, and spend a few weeks with family, around Thanksgiving. She would give it to me after she came home. The gun was filthy the first tine I took it home, and a little lube went a long way. Her Dad bought it used for her, and I think she told me it was before I was born. We shot that league for 16 years, never a problem with the old 5100.
Lost touch after a lay-off and moving on. She would have been an awesome catch for a guy 15-20 years older than me.

I like meeting girls with their own guns.

Best,
Ted

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:34 am  Reply with quote

My 16 has 28" barrels and is M/IM by my drop-in gauge. I also have a 20ga with 28" barrels marked 5100 and it measures C/IC. I was always under the impression that the 28" chokes were M/F; guess not!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Danth
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:02 am  Reply with quote

The barrel length is 28". The gun is in very nice shape, except, deep pitting 2" from the muzzle and a small deep patch at the breech. I'm faced with a dilemma. This gun was purchased with the intention of customizing it to a short barrel grouse gun to be used in dense habitat. I had intended cutting the barrel back to 26" so the rust at the muzzle was of little concern. I also intended filling the pits at the breech and paint. Dilemma is the gun is so nice I am hesitant. Bluing and case hardening is 80% and the checkering and bores are perfect. I'm leaning towards cutting back the barrel to 26" eliminating the rust and leaving the rest as is but it bothers me altering a pretty nice original gun.
silverbowff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

You might look into having chokes installed rather than shortening the barrels. Mike Orlen has done a great job on several shooters for me.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Danth
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 am  Reply with quote

The rust/pitting is on the outside. Bores are perfect. If I were to cut the barrel back to 26" I would guess both tubes would be cylinder choke, which wouldn't be the worst for close shots in heavy cover.
Benjo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Also sold as a TRU-TEST.

One of my heirlooms.....They are a work horse.

-Benjo

Remington 870 (3)
Tru-Test SxS
H&R Model 88
J C Higgins Model 20
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Mine is the first sxs I ever owned; I blame my ongoing fascination on that gun Twisted Evil !