16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Fausti DEA
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:11 am  Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has one and how do you like it?
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:33 am  Reply with quote

I had one for awhile in 16 gauge. Bought it new. It was very nice, but never shot it much so sent it on down the road and it sold very quickly. The biggest turnoff for me were the changeable chokes, which sort of flared out the muzzle to accommodate them.

It was a few years ago now so maybe they've improved that. They are nice guns for the most part but in that price range I would also seriously consider the B. Rizzini BR 550 or BR 552 before pulling the trigger on a Fausti. I would also consider the Upland Gun Company. Between those three makers -- you'll get a good, modern side by side in 16 gauge in whatever configuration you like.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Fausti DEA Nickel Edition that I like very well. I ordered it through Fausti USA in order to get my preferred configuration of POW stock, semi-beavertail forend and single trigger. It is 16 ga with 28" barrels and screw-in chokes. My gun did not come with flared muzzles to accommodate the chokes. The only issue I had with the gun was the ejectors were not timed properly, but a call to Fausti USA and I had the name of their gunsmith who did a great job of timing them. The gun is fairly lightweight for it's configuration, coming in at just under 6 1/2 pounds. It is a nice enough looking gun that I opted for a classy leather covered recoil pad. I shoot the gun well and have done considerable bird hunting with it.

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

I have a used 20 ga. 30” coming cause it had a 1/4 cast off and should fit me.
jusanothajoe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 20ga DEA, I really like the gun but my ejectors are out of time also.
Will call Fausti USA and see what they say.

Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:15 am  Reply with quote

Their smith is in Virginia (if it’s still the same guy). Very helpful and very professional. I thought their CS was spectacular. Unfortunately I sold my Fausti in moment of mental weakness. Rolling Eyes
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Got the gun today and was I’m impressed with the workmanship fit and finish.The gun shot to were I was looking and the regulation was perfect.The patterns were nice and even throws up great even with the 30” barrels.The only thing I wish it did was go on safe when you crack it open.
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I had one in 20 a couple years ago, but got rid of it because of the single non-selective trigger. Nice gun, got a lot of compliments on it..... killed a few Ruffs w / it, just couldn't deal w / the trigger
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have been looking at a DEA 28 gauge Side Lock Woodcock gun for a long time, they are a little more expensive than the regular DEA guns but I sure would like to own one. Every time I get the money together to order one, somebody is selling a serious #5 L.C. Smith gun that I have wanted and the Woodcock gun gets put on the back burner again. I talked to Giovanna at the NRA convention here in Pittsburgh, Pa and
she did not have to due much talking to interest me in the Woodcock DEA Side Lock gun. Some real nice engineering in that 28 gauge SXS double gun. Love to have one some day.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I think next year a 28ga, 28” Rizzini 550 with double triggers and no ejectors is on my short list.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:43 am  Reply with quote

AC,
Good choice!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister,how do you like the semi Beavertail on your gun after goining out for a round of clays yesterday I’m thinking about getting a semi Beavertail on a 28ga. Also where’s the balanance point on your 16.......thanks Aurelio
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek Dave,

Ever consider having a set of 28 ga. barrels built up for a Pre 13 20 ga. Smith? It likely wouldn't cost more than the woodcock gun you're considering...

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Aurelio Corso wrote:
Riflemeister,how do you like the semi Beavertail on your gun after goining out for a round of clays yesterday I’m thinking about getting a semi Beavertail on a 28ga. Also where’s the balanance point on your 16.......thanks Aurelio

The semi-beavertail forend is on the slim side without the extreme depth of some forends and fits my hand well without being clubby. It is very similar to my RFM and has a great natural feel in your hands when shooting. If all my guns had that style semi-beavertail, I'd be a happy camper. I tried posting a picture of it, but couldn't get it to work.

The balance point on my gun is about 1/8" forward of the hinge pin. The gun handles very well.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:49 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Garhart I already have my great Grandfathers pre 13, #2, 20 Gauge Gun that has been fully sleeved by Briley, Briley custom Sk1 & SK2 screw in chokes and all. When I recovered the gun, it had already been fully sleeved. Had the Wood and the Damascus barrels fully restored by Rich Painter years ago, so I really do not need to sleeve another gun for 28 gauge, however I have often though about doing it to another one of my 00 Grade 20 gauge guns, just to have 2 of them.
The L.C. Smith #2 gun fully sleeved for 28 is a serious Grouse and Woodcock gun, and is fantastic on the Clays course also. Briley Sleeved the gun for 2 3/4" shells so I can use the new RST Pigeon 28 gauge shells in her 1 oz @ 1300 FPS, the gun is now pure murder in the Grouse woods. Shoots better than most 20 gauge guns with these RST shells. I have been looking for another set of pre 13, 20 gauge Damascus barrels for this gun for many years, so I can use the gun as both a 20 gauge and a 28 gauge, 2 barrel set.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith pre 1913 #2E gun fully sleeved by Briley for 28 gauge, with working ejectors & custom Briley SK1 & SK2 screw in chokes, and Kraus Engraving. A one of a kind L.C. Smith double gun.

Close up of the Kraus custom Woodcock engraving on the Sleeved 20/28 gauge gun.