16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 12 -vs- Ithaca 37
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

I have always told people that Ithaca37's don't wear out they wear in. Model 12's are fine guns and I've owned several including a 42. Remington 870's are too, I still own a couple. But I consider Ithaca the King of pumpguns. A prewarwar sixteen gauge is about as good as it gets!
drcook
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
I have always told people that Ithaca37's don't wear out they wear in. Model 12's are fine guns and I've owned several including a 42. Remington 870's are too, I still own a couple. But I consider Ithaca the King of pumpguns. A prewarwar sixteen gauge is about as good as it gets!

The only difference between a pre-war Ithaca 37, all the way up to serial number 855,000 is the wood. The fore end is checkered instead of ring cut.

The buttstock is hollowed out, A LOT. I have one in my hands as I type this. I was given a pre-war buttstock to try and repair. The top broke off at the receiver and was lost before my friend bought the gun. I am going to try and glue some walnut back on and recut the receiver mortice.

Yes it is a 16ga buttstock. If I can rescue it I will show you all pictures. The checkering is still all there. If I can't fix it, I am going to turn it into a lamp.

I am restoring the fore end for him, recutting the checkering and refinishing the wood.

drcook
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Actually there is another other slight difference. The length of the tang on the trigger guard that goes into the stock was shortened and the stock bolt correspondingly lengthened.

I would assume this was for ease of manufacturing and cost.

The magazine cap also went through a couple iterations with the push pin being deleted.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I grew up shooting my dad's 20 ga. Model 37

The 20ga M37 is unique, amazing that such a light and well balanced little gun could be mass produced. Maybe only the older models were so light?

My father was USMC officer in the Pacific during WWII. He said the M12 was the preferred weapon carried by regimental commanders, typically Colonel rank. Officers were issued M1911 pistols or .30 cal carbines but none would carry them as it made them sniper targets. He personally carried a Garand M1 but it would jam in the sand.

B.
Uplander44
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

I am kind of in the opposite camp, have several Mdl 12s but have been curious about the M37. Have handled a couple and shot my buddies, but never owned one or had any extended time with one. I am pretty happy with the M12 though and I adore my 16ga gun.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Winchester and Ithaca made the 12 and 37 over a long period.

Unfortunately you have to judge not by the overall design, both well done are good, but by the individual gun.

I have held Ithaca 37 that were glass smooth in in my grandfather’s hands was as fast as an auto. I have seen some in pawnshops that were not.

I believe this true of the model 12 too.

Judge individual guns, both are good.