16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Please take a look and tell me....
jig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Does this Superposed appear to have a parallel comb? In my quest to duplicate, or at least understand why i shot this old gun i used to have so dang well, I need to know. It almost appears parallel to me and if not very low sloping. This was a 1973 superposed lightning 12GA with 28"bbs choked IM/F that I shouldve never let get away.

I dug up this old picture I had to try and see what I could learn.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:42 am  Reply with quote

jig: lay the gun, rib down, on a table (with the front bead off the end of the table), and you'll be able to tell quite easily. You might have someone mark exactly where your cheek touches the comb when mounted, which is the critical drop measurement.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Rev,
I think he sold the gun, and only has a picture. Sad
Your instructions are correct, but without the gun, it's really hard to know from a picture. Wink

jig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

correct dave M.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

You can figure it out by scale ratios if you know what the actual length of pull measurements are. A kid that knows trig. can probably tell you real quick.That flat knob stock almost looks like a trap stock. Do you know for sure that it was the original stock? Idea

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry jig and Dave: I once had an early 70s Superposed Trap with the brls replaced by Simmons (which were much lighter.) The factory trap stock had an almost parallel comb and it was a wonderful SC gun with the 30" brls.

jig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Having bought that super in a pawnshop for 1300.00, I really have no way of knowing anything about the stock except these factoids:

1. The gun was stamped lightning on underside of receiver
2. I verified the serial number and date of MFG as 1973 (trying to determine any salt issue)
3. The wood, although matching (forend & Buttstock) was unlike any I'd ever seen on any Superposed before.
4. The LOP was 14"
5. It killed the first 12 roosters it was pointed at at all sorts of ranges
6. It loved and digested many Federal 12GA Premium coppers listed as 1500FPS of which by the way, I found one box of at Walmart in Wenatchee WA - the only one I've found this year and it was only 9.95! It verified an early post I'd had regarding this 1500FPS load. Should have saved the box to prove it to you all who didnt remember these loads. They struck like a lightning bolt and I attribute (at least in part) there speed to my accuracy with that super. Thinking back I had some 45-60 yard crossing shots that I had very little time to react on - and the shots seemed to require less lead than I've ever experienced before at that distance. Also shot many 20-25 trap scores with that gun. Never actually weighed it, but I would guess it 7-7.5 Lbs. Sold it to raise $$$$ for a custom Mauser 30-06 project and I was so hard on it I felt I needed to sell it before I completely de-valued it.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

jig,I have a 1962 Superposed Broadway lightning trap model. The orig. stock dim. were~LOP to trap pad14 1/2( would be about a 13 1/2" stock); drop@comb 1 5/16;drop@ heel 1 5/16. Previous owner cracked the stock,so I replaced it with a semi inlet from Boyds.LOP15,drop@comb 1 7/16,drop@ heel2 1/4, worked out real good but too long and too heavy for a field gun.( works good on doves though).I put 2 machinist scales on computer screen and scaled msmts to 14"LOP. My guess is that your drop at comb is about 1 1/2" and drop@ heel is 2 1/2". That is just a guess but I think you are right about the comb being straighter than standard.

jig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah the 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 sound very close to what i thought it had.
The 1 1/2 at comb is the exact same as my Browning XS which explains why i shoot it well too. I always wondered about the wood on that super. It was very nice by all means, but still unlike any other supers I've seen before or since. That said, I havent seen many supers newer than late 60's guns and most older than that. Any post 1972 superposed owners out there??? Let's compare wood uhhmmmph....I mean...let me rephrase that, gunstocks that is.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Just a quick note to say I messed up on the measurement I listed as Drop at comb on the XS- its 1 3/4" not 1 1/2 (the DAH is also 1 3/4).