16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ammo Opportunity
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have expressed my frustration with the rising price of ammo and components before, so to be equitable, I wanted to spread the word about what I feel are some fair prices for loaded ammo that I found just today at Rural King, in Niles, Michigan. I know there are other Rural King stores located in Illinois, Indiana and the midwest. I do not know if they have these prices at those locations, but it wouldn't hurt to check if you have a store close by:

16 gauge Remington (black hull) Game Loads, 1 oz. #6 or #8--$4.19/box

12 ga. Estate Target loads, 1 oz. #8--$3.39/box

12 ga., 3 1/2" Hevi Shot 1 5/8 oz. #6---$15.59 for 10 (For you waterfowlers,not cheap but about 35% off list)

I did not ask for per-case discounts but they may do that. In any case, thought I should pass this along...

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Same prices at the Paris,Il store----When they have any in stock Shocked
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief:

You all must have gotten my 100 boxes (10 cases) of 16 ga remington game loads that are on "rain check" at the Litchfield IL Rural King (since 9/9/06) for $3.39 per box Mad

I will call them tomorrow to ask what is going on again.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

busting: Hope you get your loads---I bought several boxes last year at the $3.39 price, but not enough. The $4.19 is the best I can find around here now---Meijer is selling the 16 ga. Winchester #8's for $5.19/box--this ammunition has certainly gone up ! Got a good deal on the Estates and the Hevi-Shot though...

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:06 am  Reply with quote

I just picked up a case of Rem Game Loads at Dick's for $3.99 a box with a 10% case discount. And since I had a $35 Gift card, it cost me $3+ in cash. Very Happy

I've got plenty of Rem Game Loads in 7.5's that I use for trap but I needed a couple of boxes for pheasants later this month.
So now I've got 18 cases of them sitting in the basement. Wink

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:47 am  Reply with quote

My shooting friend asked if I wanted to tag along to the Hamburg, PA Cabelas. I refuse to do business with them, but I went to see the Christmas decorations while they were still up. He was looking in the reloading area for something priced at $150 or more to use his $30 off coupon. I took a stroll up and down the aisles of shotgun ammo in the meantime. They have wire racks where they stack pallets of cased ammo with a forklift. There was a sign for all gauges of Federal ammo, even 16's. All sold out. They also have the typical shelves for single ammo boxes. I saw the distinctive yellow color of Fiochi Golden Pheasant. And right between the full shelves of 12 and 20 was the empty shelf for 16's.

I used their restroom and left without spending a penny. See? I knew it was a waste of time to shop Cabelas. Nice decorations, however. That's why I didn't spit on their marque.
sprocket
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:55 am  Reply with quote

whith everyone here buying all available 16 ga.ammo, is it any wonder the shelves are empty for the next guy? At least they had a space for 16, I find it more discouraging when there's no space...
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:00 am  Reply with quote

It does appear to be a seller's market at present; it isn't even so much that we can't get it ---it's the getting it at "a reasonable price" that's frustrating...what had been in the mid $3 range last year is now mid-$4 to low $5 per box and that's just for the basic"game" load, nothing "premium"---THAT stuff is running into the $10-13/box range now, when one can find it. And of course, Bismuth is much more....

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
My shooting friend asked if I wanted to tag along to the Hamburg, PA Cabelas. I refuse to do business with them, but I went to see the Christmas decorations while they were still up. He was looking in the reloading area for something priced at $150 or more to use his $30 off coupon. I took a stroll up and down the aisles of shotgun ammo in the meantime. They have wire racks where they stack pallets of cased ammo with a forklift. There was a sign for all gauges of Federal ammo, even 16's. All sold out. They also have the typical shelves for single ammo boxes. I saw the distinctive yellow color of Fiochi Golden Pheasant. And right between the full shelves of 12 and 20 was the empty shelf for 16's.

I used their restroom and left without spending a penny. See? I knew it was a waste of time to shop Cabelas. Nice decorations, however. That's why I didn't spit on their marque.

I was at the Hamburg store today also. You're right, not FGP in 16ga. They did have some Winchester, Estate and something else in 16ga. though. I didn't need any so I didn't buy any. I may have taken a couple boxes of the GP if it was there. Wink
I've still got 4-5 boxes which will last me the rest of this season. I'll stock up next year. Laughing

wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

I just got 2 cases of 16ga RGL 7.5s from BPS mail ordered last week. 3.99/box + 9.95 shipping so it came out to about 4.45/box. Not the best but not totally unreasonable since it came fedex ground in about a week.

Was at Dick's today and they aren't getting any new ammo for about 3 weeks they told me. Dick's is the only establishment in these parts that carries 16ga ammo comparably priced to BPS.

I'm still waiting for TJC to find a nice 12ga gun he can shoot so I can buy up his supply!!
Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

wildweasel wrote:

I'm still waiting for TJC to find a nice 12ga gun he can shoot so I can buy up his supply!!
Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If my barrels ever get back from Briley for the new 1620 I might be shooting a lot of that supply up. I'm kinda hoping that the new Merk will be kinda my all around gun.
Ya know, the man with one gun kinda thing. Wink Of course the Feather will be pissed if I try that. Smile

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:10 am  Reply with quote

TJC,

I hope you didn't make a special trip all the way from Jersey to Tilden Township expecting to find skids and skids of cheap 16ga ammo in the Cabela's foyer?
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Harrisburg,PA Basspro has 16 gauge REM GL for $3.99 per box and Richland shooters supply has them for $40.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
TJC,

I hope you didn't make a special trip all the way from Jersey to Tilden Township expecting to find skids and skids of cheap 16ga ammo in the Cabela's foyer?

No, I was picking up a few other things and just took a look in the ammo section just because. Wink

james-l
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

Check your local wallyworld I bought all the 16ga they had today for 3.50 a box. Jim Laughing