16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  1 oz 1165 fps loads
dwr353
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Have not bought shells in years. Going back to my 16 gauges again. It seems that most upland shells available now are in this loading. Is this the standard now? I used to recall them as around 1250 fps. Are they effective as a dove load? Might be a silly question to some, but due to age and physical limitations, I walked away from heavy 12 gauge guns. Tried a few 20 gauges but they are not for me. I grew up in a family of 16 gauge hunters, going back to my roots so to speak. Shot some ducks last year with my Sweet 16 and loved it. Time to stock up on lead now. Thanks in advance.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Since 1900 the standard 16g load was 1 oz. with 2 1/2 Dr. BULK Smokeless at 1165 fps;
2 3/4 Dram was 1220 fps

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Any dove that 1 ounce at 1165 won't kill can't be killed.

I'm tickled to be able to get them - today we received delivery of a flat of 1 ounce 16's at 1165 for my wife. Also received 3 flats of 1 ounce 12 gauge at 1185 fps.

She enjoys shooting the 1 ounce at 1165 but the one time she had to buy some 1 ounce at 1300 she turned to me and said "these kick". That was the last time we bought any high velocity ammo.
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

1 oz. at 1.165 fps is standard today for target/dove loads. Most field loads are 1 1/8 oz. at 1,295 fps. Federal PF High Velocity loads are 1 1/8 oz. at 1,425 fps. Fiocchi Golden Pheasant are 1 1/8 oz. at 1,310 fps. And of course there are other various loads and velocities to be had.

Browning BPS Upland Special
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I like and use the RST SpredR 2 1/2" shells in my American Classic & Best German SXS double guns, #8's or 7 1/2's under the 1st trigger. I try to keep the 1st shot around 1165 FPS or under. The 2nd shot under the back trigger is around 1295 - 1300 or less depending on whether I am using RST or Fiocchi or B&P. The 2nd shot needs to be quicker in the Grouse woods, usually with #6 shot to bring down an escaping Grouse thru the heavier foliage. I like the 16 gauge RST or Polywad SpredR shells for both Grouse & Woodcock, out west I use my 20 gauge guns a lot for hunting Mearns Quail,
I have an old OO Grade L.C. Smith 20 gauge that weighs under 6 lbs and really puts the escaping Means Quail down quite nicely, using the RST #8 & #6 Spreader Shells.
My 28 gauge guns get used mostly for Grouse & Woodcock, the new modern Huglu 200A 28 gauge is a great Means Quail gun also, 5.2 Lbs for carrying in the AZ mountains, it is really a great 28 gauge bird gun. This is a new modern 28 gauge gun, we will see how it holds up longevity wise, durning the next few years. So far the gun has preformed perfectly.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L. C. Smith 16 Gauge #5 Grouse gun, the stuff Dreams are made of!

1910 OO Grade L.C. Smith 20 gauge, a perfect Mearns Quail and Woodcock SXS double gun.

Early 1800's J.P. Sauer 16 gauge double gun on a 20 gauge Sauer frame with incredible Krupp barrels Chambered for 2 1/2", 16 gauge shells.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
dwr3618
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies. I took advantage of another poster's tip on the shell sale. Bought 2 flats of the 1165 loads. Will be able to feed my old Sweet 16, my 16 GA Ringneck, and my 16 GA Model 12. Was able to buy #8s, my favorite.
dwr3618
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies. I took advantage of another poster's tip on the shell sale. Bought 2 flats of the 1165 loads. Will be able to feed my old Sweet 16, my 16 GA Ringneck, and my 16 GA Model 12. Was able to buy #8s, my favorite.
dwr3618
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

dwr3618
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for multiple posts. Kept getting an error message and then all went through.
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:42 am  Reply with quote

dwr3618 wrote:
Sorry for multiple posts. Kept getting an error message and then all went through.

I find I get an error message every time I post on this site. Yet the post still goes through. Not sure what the problem is but before you re-post check to see if your original post did go through.

Browning BPS Upland Special
bigblue
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing The post studder seems to be built into the sight. Ignore the error message the first post always goes through for me.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Wow. $16.99/box. Doesn't seem that many years ago that Herter's 16ga shells were $5.99/box. I should have bought a dozen flats. Crying or Very sad

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
probie
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:11 am  Reply with quote

You can say that again. Most recent price I have seen on them in Bass Proloteriot was $16.99 and at least according to them, you should be glad they have 16ga for you. Tons of 10ga got me into an argument with the clerk. "Ive been shooting over 50 yrs & have never SEEN a 10ga shotgun. Why the hell all this ammo for it. Where's the 16ga" ?
We don't sell that; be glad for what's here" ;which is usually a few boxes of 7 1/2s or 8s. You're not missing anything special. They are black shorties ( cheddites) like the current RGL (IF you ever see RGL in 16 again ) with the same stiff & brittle plastic which would probably be good for only a few reloads.
probie
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:12 am  Reply with quote

You can say that again. Most recent price I have seen on them in Bass Proloteriot was $16.99 and at least according to them, you should be glad they have 16ga for you. Tons of 10ga got me into an argument with the clerk. "Ive been shooting over 50 yrs & have never SEEN a 10ga shotgun. Why the hell all this ammo for it. Where's the 16ga" ?
We don't sell that; be glad for what's here" ;which is usually a few boxes of 7 1/2s or 8s. You're not missing anything special. They are black shorties ( cheddites) like the current RGL (IF you ever see RGL in 16 again ) with the same stiff & brittle plastic which would probably be good for only a few reloads.