16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Used gun price, browning citori
up-hunter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

Ok i have a question for you guys, i was wondering what a browning citori feather 16ga. in about 95% condition is worth. It has 26" barrels and has only about 2 boxes of shells shot through it. The thing is my buddy has two of them and i finally talked him into selling this one, and he said to come up with something that i thought was fair and we could negotiate from there, and i don't want to insult him, so what do these guns ussually sell for used?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy is the expert on these, he should be along shortly.
I wouldn't want to insult your friend or make a fool of myself by guessing. Wink

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

The first question I would ask myself is: how accurate is the 95%? There can be a notable difference between 95% and 99% and that equates to two different prices. If there really have been only 2 boxes of shells shot thru the gun, it simply should be cleaner than 95% ! It ought to still be tight, with few nicks and dings in the stock. Take the gun apart and see how much wear you find on the hinge, look at the face of the receiver---do you see a ring? Does the seller have the box, manual, additional choke tubes that came with the gun, wrench, etc? Or do you just get the gun? Any loaded ammo or hulls that go with the purchase? a soft case, perhaps? You never know till you ask, and it all adds up...

Don't know for sure, price wise but I can say I bought a Grade I Citori 16 ga, NIB at a dealer for $1,150 about 15 months ago. If the gun is "used", you should not pay a "new" price. These guns aren't that rare, yet anyway. Good luck, and see it for what it is, not what you want it to be, is the most brutally honest advice I can give you.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief said it well Wink
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:49 pm  Reply with quote

The lowest price I saw a year & a half ago was $1400 on sale and good used ones were running $1000. I would of loved to find one for $1,150 and the prices have gone up.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

A gun that has only shot 2 boxes of shell - especially a citori is basically brand new. 95% would indicate there is cosmetic damage cuz I can guarantee you there could be no mechanical damage from that use. 2 boxes wouldnt even come close to breaking that gun in. That gun is basically 100% but since it isnt new in box, you might be able to argue for 99%. I think the feather model at would be a bargain at $1300-1500 bucks.

consider the citori lightning feather combo's suggested MSRP is 3150.00.
I would think anyhting under 2,000 for that gun could be viable.

Twer me, I'd offer $1200.00 - becasue thats enough to not be insulting, but low enough to incite him to counter offer, or just say no. At that point you can go up from there. Know what your celing, or top offer will be going in. To do that just spend some time on guns america or gunbroker to get an idea of market value.Good luck
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Its easy for us older folks with one of everything to be picky and a bit jaded about prices of new guns. I've been just as guilty of this as anyone and have come to see it in the last several monthes. God knows I love a bargain. But I also have owned a 1988 16ga Citori for nearly 10 years now as well as all the guns I could ever want or use. So I'm a bit jaded and overly picky about "deals".

I was told back When I bought my first 16 ga Citori I paid too much for it by all the older "experts" at my old club. Its funny how things get discounted by all our "friends". In their minds, all their purchases were terrific bargains and the other guy got suckered. Rolling Eyes Human nature. It never ceases to amuse me. Laughing Even worse, I was a bit ahead of the curve on the 16 gauge resurgence, so I was also considered a bit loony. Now everyone is telling me hoe wonderful a light weight 16 ga O/U gun like the Citori is. Gee, I didn't know that. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I do know that even 15 monthes ago, $1150 for a new in box 16 Ga gr I Citori was extremely low and hardly a realistic price to expect considering the average price of over $1500 NIB. This new 2006 batch is conciderably higher priced. A rising tide floats all boats. I doubt prices will go down. They haven't yet in the last 40 years or so. so don't hold your breath for them too. History is against you.

I don't think you can touch a new featherlight model for under $1650. The few that were advertised under this price were gone in a couple of days last fall. Now, the prices seem to average closer to 1750-1800 over the entire range. I saw several at nearly 2K. This average will climb as the lower priced units get picked off. Plus, this last batch has been flying out the doors much faster than the last batch in 2003. So demand has definately gone up.

My best advise is to consider if this man is your friend. If he is, you will probably get a break. If not, don't sweat it. If this Featherweight gun is as new in box, $1500 is not too much. Unfired would bring another 10%. A tight 95% gun with several noticable handling dings and wear marks, without a box or extras would bring $1400 today. That is, unless you already are a bit jaded and can afford to wait for the bargain of the decade like the rest of us jaded old farts. Laughing If you really want the gun and can put it to good use, buy it and keep your mouth shut about what you paid--or do what I now do to all the other old farts when they stick in their big bazoos and ask--I lie. Wink Laughing

PS: I've been perusing the for sale and auction web pages in the last hour. Citori prices have spiked upwards with the turn of the year. So what else is new. Rolling Eyes
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

up-hunter: One thing I've learned is that when contemplating a "purchase", whether it be real estate, used cars, or a spouse---another item---maybe an obviously better deal---will eventually come along. Citoris are nice guns---and 12 and 20 ga. Citoris will drop the birds too. Spend wisely and be happy !

grousewoods
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure if you have made a deal on the 16ga but I just miss one for $1100. from a dealer and found a new one for $1699. in a local GM not sure if it's a deal,hope this helps!
20m3s
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a used Citori 16 last March for a bit over $900. It had a couple of scratches in the buttstock, but otherwise was basically like new.

My brother bought a closeout NIB Citori 16 from the same run a couple of years earlier for about $1,300, if I remember correctly. Both have an MZ prefix, which I think means they were made in 2001.

Local shop has (had?) a NIB Citori 16 sitting on the shelf for a couple of years, priced at $1,299. It has a black receiver and 26 inch barrels. It was there earlier this fall before the new run of Citori's hit the shelves. It may still be there, I haven't looked in awhile.

We both love our Citori's and I hope you get yours. But I do think there are deals out there, so don't overpay.

-20m3s
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Everone who buys a gun know that as soon as you shoot it will lose value. Ask you friend what he thinks the loss of value would be on the gun in question. You should have a figure in your head at this point, of course. If he's a close friend, and the numbers are not even near each other, then tell him you have started looking at english sidelocks and really need to save your money. No need to lose a friend over bickering over a gun price.

Just my thoughts.

It takes a lifetime to get a true friend, if your real close on price throw in a round of clays or a hunt you can enjoy together to smooth over the deal.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

Actually no, not all shotguns lose value after you buy then. Case in point, my recently purchased 1930 16GA Sterlingworth purchased for $1,000.00
It gained value before I even left the shop. When the rust blue of the barrels is finished, it will stabilize a bit because I will spend about 300 bucks. But still, I challenge you to find a high condition early (1st year) Utica 16GA Sterlingworth for 1300 bucks. Other than the exterior of the bores, the gun is in great shape, mirror bores, no dents, no buggered screws, top lever well right of center and generally not shot very much in its 77 years of life. But new guns definitely lose value and your point is well taken.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

NOTE that one of our compadres, 16'er, has posted notice in the "Guns For Sale" category of this forum, that he saw a used 16 ga. Citori for sale, not for $1,600 or $1,500 but for $1,200....don't know condition but you might take a look....