16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1OZ crossover
bigblue
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Any thoughts on 1 oz loads in the the 20 and 16 gauge shot shell loads. In my world they both seem to be the go to shot weight for most upland situations with number 6 shot size with those two gauges. Any shot weight over 1 oz is a waste of time in my opinion what do you have to say ?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:36 am  Reply with quote

I think that this type of thread has been beat to death several thousand times over. No one will change your mind and you won't change anyone else's mind.

You might try SGW.

bigblue
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="bigblue"]Any thoughts on 1 oz loads in the the 20 and 16 gauge shot shell loads. In my world they both seem to be the go to shot weight for most upland situations with number 6 shot size with those two gauges. Any shot weight over 1 oz is a waste of time in my opinion what do you have to say about it. I should have included the 12 gauge also. This post is not about one gauge vs the other but it is about 1 oz shot weight and size in the uplands .
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Bigblue,
Its a fun and interesting topic, I’ll go ahead.

Traditionally, the standard loads have been 7/8 oz for 20 ga, 1 oz for 16 ga, and 1 1/8 oz for 12 ga. By traditionally, I mean by authorities who held forth at least a hundred years ago! And much has been made of the 1 oz (or 15/16 oz depending on who you believe) 16 ga as being a “square load”.

In practice today however, shotgun loads are all over the map with great success in many cases. The 1 1/8 oz 16 ga is very effective with newer powders that were not available circa 1900, such as the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant load. Many members here load 1 1/4 oz in the 16 ga with excellent results. The key is slow burning powders like Longshot and Steel which allow heavier loads without sacrificing velocity. If you have more pellets without loss of velocity, the load will simply be more effective. But these heavy max pressure loads might not be suitable for older lightweight 16ga guns.

I prefer the 1 oz load (#6 in general or #7 1/2 for grouse) in the field for a number of reasons. But I wouldn’t hesitate to go heavier if circumstances demanded it, such as a late season Dakota pheasant hunt over dogs.

I can't speak much for 1 oz load in 20 ga as I’ve only used it for a few seasons, albeit with excellent results.

All the best
B.
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

If the birds are holding tight, 1 oz or even 7/8 oz is fine, depending on the species. If they are flushing further out, a 1-1/4 oz with heavier shot helps to keep the pattern dense at distance. If I am not sure what I will get I use a combo load with 1-1/4 oz in the tighter barrel to start with and adjust from there.

My tendency lately is to only carry one type of load per jaunt. Makes for less thinking and more hunting.

df
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

I disagree that more than one ounce of shot is a waste. As the gentleman above said, I’m not changing your mind and you won’t change mine. Carry on.
bigblue
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:44 am  Reply with quote

I load with nickel or copper plated shot #6 at a measured 1oz at the highest velocity I can attain. I use choke constriction to keep my patterns together at longer ranges. I don't seem to gain much with the 20 and 16 gauge by going with a heavier slower shot charge other than recoil most times the patterns are not that much improved. My opinion not a fact and only that.
kgb
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:43 am  Reply with quote

To me, more than 1oz has the potential to be more effective than a lighter load but it's not generally worth the extra recoil in most heavy factory rounds. It's been a long time since I shot more than 1oz in a 20ga, I'd be more inclined to do it with a 12ga and am planning on trying out some 1 1/4oz rounds in a gas automatic 12. Curious because I've not tried them before.

Hootch
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:34 am  Reply with quote

One ounce and a 1/16th is my go to in the 16ga.
I have only used the 20ga for doves, as I shoot most upland with the 16ga