16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  SG16S wads
brewer
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

A friend recently gave me a sack of SG16S wads. I am having trouble finding reloading info on these. I assume that they are designed for 3/4 ounce loads. Are they for 2-3/4" hulls? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DUKFVR
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

They can be used for up to 1 oz loads. Look at Ballistic products website. They sell them.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/16-gauge-wads/products/88/

Citori16
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:59 am  Reply with quote

The data for them are essentially the same as SG16, but they give you a little more room for the shot column. So if you are having trouble fitting shot due to the size, you can try an SG16S to get a proper crimp. DISCLAIMER: send for testing if the recipe is near SAAMI max (11500 psi) before using.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:37 am  Reply with quote

As Citori16 said they are better suited for heavier loads like 1 1/8 oz. The shot cup is smaller in height (18mm vs. 21mm) than the SG16 so shot will sit above the cup but that really isn't a problem. It is the same wad as the SG16 with the exception of the over powder cup which allows it to sit down further in the hull giving more room. And shot cup height. Rumor does have it that you can interchange with data for the SG16. I have a bag of them and need to load some up to send in for testing to verify with the data that I had Precision do with my SG16 loads. That would put any questions about interchangeability to rest.

The BPI SG16S wad is actually the Gualandi BRG16/18 which Precision Reloading sells as the TUWG1816. Send an email to orders@precisionreloading.com asking for 16 ga. data and they will send you load data for 7/8, 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz. loads and a lot of that data will include the TUWG1816 wad. Which is the same wad was as the SG16S.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:08 am  Reply with quote

IMHO the SG16S is a waste of time, unless you have some special load for them or are using them in 2 1/2" hulls. They load almost exactly the same as the SG16, and give just a little bit more room, which in most 2 3/4" hull applications you don't need, especially for 1 oz. loads. In the 36 years I have been loading the 16 gauge I have never found a reason to need the SG16S. Whatever the SG16S wad will do the SG16 will do better.

IMO, you aren't missing anything if you don't buy them.

Ballistically, there is hardly a bit of difference between the 2 wads, assuming all else is equal.

The physical difference, a slightly smaller shot cup on the SG16S and more room(less protrusions) in the obturating cup which allows the wad to sit lower on top of the powder charge. Maybe Gualandi makes it for a better fit with some of the single base powders used in Europe?

I have about 150 of the SG16S wads in a bag from the 1990's, never have found a use for them, except to take pictures of and post on the forums. Laughing Laughing Cool

L to R Gualandi BRG 16/21 - B & P Z2M16 - Gualandi BRG 16/18.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:25 am  Reply with quote

The SG16S wad works great in my 2 5/8 hulls that I load for my short chamber guns. The wad is designed for shorter hulls and that is the main use. Using in 2 3/4 hulls would be a waste.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:34 am  Reply with quote

FWIW, regarding the three wads pictured above, the BRG 16/21 (on the left) has always proved more useful than the other two. It has always patterned nicer than the Z2M16 with both 1 and 1 1/8 oz. loads in my shotgun. I don't know how the BRG 16/18 patterns.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:30 am  Reply with quote

I think that I MAY have found a use for the SG16S wad...

Headed to Ontario this fall for a cast and blast and restricted to 200 rounds at the border. Although that is a lot of shells for grouse but after a week there headed to the tip of the Mn. Arrowhead for 3 more weeks grouse hunting.

Some might consider 1 1/8 oz. of #6 overkill for grouse but it is my favorite load for the Great Northern Pterodactyl LOL. I'm almost out of the Federal loads that I picked up when Walmart was blowing them out for $5-$6 a box 5 or 6 years ago. Was worried about taking reloads across the border so ordered some Fiocchi Golden Pheasants which came yesterday. For the price a bit pissed off, most of the crimps are dished and have an opening in them. With loose shot rattling in at least one box. Just cut a couple open and they use the B&P Z2M16\BPI Z16 Commander wad

Those wads are not available anywhere right now. The Gualandi BRG 16/21 (SG16) just fits with one oz. and green dot in my Ched and Federals, I load thousands of them a year for clays. Can't imagine packing even more shot at 1 1/8 oz. and more powder using Universal into Ched or Federal hulls. Think this weekend I will load some up with the SG16S to test fit. Up until this point have always purchased factory 1 1/8 oz. but I think it is time for a change. Goes back to if you want something done right do it yourself.

I have 50 pounds of the hardest #6 shot I could find from several years back. I'm sure it is harder than the Golden Pheasant shot but for a ruff chilled would be fine.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

I used to hunt with a spreader load of 1 1/8 oz. #6 backed up by a standard 1 1/8 oz. load of #6's for ruffed grouse, back in CT.......those loads worked just fine. Heck most of the shot misses the bird (even when you center the grouse) and the rest of it hits the trees that the grouse were trying to put between you and them. I guess some folks would call it overkill, but it worked for me just fine.

I think you are making a good choice.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I agree that the SG16S is not very useful for 2 3/4” loads, but I find it ideal, maybe even essential for 2 1/2” 1 oz loads (hence the “short” nomenclature). The SG16S allows a perfect crimp especially for coarse bulkier powders like our old 800-X, an excellent combination. The SG16 is too tall for the 1 oz loads in 2 1/2” hulls, but perfect for 7/8 oz loads in 2 1/2” hulls, whereas the SG16S is too short for 7/8 oz.

The combination of the SG16 (7/8 oz) and SG16S (1 oz) in the 2 1/2” hull is the simplest, easiest, and most precise way to load 16 ga that I have found, no fillers or adjustments needed, such a convenience.

B.
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I’ve used it occasionally in some loads with larger shot, which takes up more room, especially with a bulkier powder, or with a spreader.

It’s not the shotcup that makes it happen, it’s the protrusions on the base of the wad that make the difference.

T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:49 am  Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that a couple years ago, I was gonna load my own "Goldon Pheasant" loads so I deconstructed a factory shell. They used(at least at that time) the SG16S in their 1 1/8 oz #6 load, and I reported it here and we had the "shot outside the wad" discussion then. I loaded a couple then, the combo was great in a primed fiocchi hull
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Pretty sure the Goldon Pheasant use the Z16 wad.
T-Bird
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:18 am  Reply with quote

I just checked my post from Nov 8 2019. Apparently, the shell I opened at that time had a SG16s. I went so far as to say, that day it was the short, not the regular SG16. I have both flavors of SG16 as well as the Z16 wad so I don't think I was confused at th
at time. I still have that partial box but I'm not wasting another shell to confirm! Very Happy Maybe they changed wads since then.