16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Low-pressure ammo options?
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:29 am  Reply with quote

I've acquired yet another old scattergun that needs short shells (2 1/2-inch) and low pressures (it's a Damascus gun). I see RST has finally started to make some short 16-gauge shells available again, has anybody else come back on-line as well? This new (to me) gun is a very-old English gun (in 12-bore) and RST hasn't offered anything in short 12 just yet. I need to figure out how to feed it properly. Handloading is an option, but I was wondering...

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

The 12 gauge 2 1/2" shells are a might hard to get right now, to bad your gun is not a 16 or a 20 gauge. RST has them buy the box or the case right now. Looks like Morris is getting back into normal production, it maybe a while before you see 12 gauge RST shells however. I believe the hulls are the problem right now, he only builds with certain components to assure his RST products. Actually I could use some 12 gauge RST shells myself. Not sure Polywad is even in business any more, sense they were bought out I have not been able to purchase from them. They had great 12 gauge SpredR shells in 2 1/2" & 2 3/4" for many years also. Unable to find any Fiocchi 2 1/2" shells right now either. None of the UK shells are available right now also.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:31 am  Reply with quote

I've prepaid for a case of 2 1/2" 12 gauge shells from Shenk Shotshell Co. No word on delivery dates yet: https://www.shenkshotshellco.com/.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:50 am  Reply with quote

I feed My 2-1/2" Henry Atkin SLE low pressure loads assembled in WAA cases. Same for My Harkom 2-1/2" 16 bore and Robertson 2-1/2" 20 bore. Simple solution to a non-problem.

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Well, if I have to set up my press, trim a few shells, and go back to reloading I certainly can. I've stockpiled the ingredients for years now.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,
I can no longer due any shell building, sold the MEC progressive a few year back when RST started providing my shells by the case, it may have been a mistake to get rid of everything, especially with Polywad and Fiocchi so far behind on suppling me with the 2 1/2" shells, I use to purchase from them. RST is just starting to get back to normal, thank God I stock piled some 2 1/2" shells before the COVID mess. I use my 2 3/4" Chambered guns for clays shooting, most of the time now, save my 2 1/2" shells for Grouse hunting.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Pine creek Dave.
Regular production will be wiped out this fall. Why? Because Big pharma and the dems already said so. Said it's going to be worse than covid. Which is really saying a chance to make a big load of money. Place your big orders now and beat the price jumps.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Reloading is really the only way to beat the shortage of low pressure short hull loads, if you did not stockpile a hoard when the stuff was available.

You can keep it simple and stick with a minimum of tooling and minimize the number of different components.

Roll crimping short shells is a good way to go as it is easy and requires minimal tooling.

I have recently started loading 12 ga 2 1/2 inch. After minor experimentation I choose one hull (then started buying up as many as I could find), and two wads (1oz & 1 1/8oz). Then only two powders, one of which I used for 16 already. After awhile I found I only loaded the 1 1/8 loads and when I run out of 1 oz wads I will problem not restock. I only hope international powder will become available when I run out of the 19 pounds I have as it is a nice clean low pressure powder for 12ga.

I also believe RMC solid brass shells a great way to go, but they are expensive and you really need to be a die hard to go that route. Also true tested data is not as common as you wish.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Brass shells would be quite appropriate for this gun...

[url=https://imgur.com/0Bzk5D5] [/url]

[url=https://imgur.com/3eKt3gB] [/url]

but the cost sounds a bit extravagant. I'd sure like to try some one day.

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Fri May 26, 2023 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:32 am  Reply with quote

The RMC brass is an addiction, an addiction with issues

1st Issue: limited tested data, yes they say u can use any data, my experiment with measuring the volume with water and comparing it to known hulls cutoff to 2.5 inches show me two things. A. Not every RMC brass shell has the same volume, but they are consistent by order. Their internal volume matches Activ and Federals best.

2nd Issue they fireform to the chamber, some guns have tighter chambers than other, I have one gun with a wider by several thousandths than my others and once use in that gun, they are a bitch to try to resize back down, to impossible. So I now segregate them to particular chambers

Last issue: they are expensive, but they do last forever. I have yet to wear one out with some loaded over 200 times go on 250.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:22 am  Reply with quote

They sound pretty neat. This old Joseph Lang is almost 160-years old and I suspect that it's likely seen a brass shell or two in it's lifetime. The idea of not needing to find more shells, that you could continually re-use them and just use the necessary expendables of powder, shot and primers (at least now) seems practical to me. Where does one purchase such an item?

Allright, answered my own question (http://rockymountaincartridge.com/). At $117 per 10 shells, that leads to the next question...what sort of reloading tools are required?

Well....answered that one too:

(http://rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/RMC%20Load%20Kit%20Inst.pdf)

Fascinating!

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

After shooting I punch the spent primer then wash in a cheap harbor freight hydrosonic cleaner, I use a bore brush to clean off any remaining residue, wash one more time in the cleaner, then rinse off and let dry. A piece of cake

The loading instructions are on their website as you note.

I use sodium silicate purchased over Amazon instead of Duco as it cleans up more easily.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the Brits used to refer to the brass shells as "Perfects".

Old Colonel3
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

The old brass shells used by the Brit’s and in the USA were thin walled press shells with over size wads. Etc. They resemble the thin brass MAGTECH brass, commonly available.

The RMC are made from solid brass rods on a lathe and drill out. Their walls are thick brass (which is way resizing them is a bear). Their interior dimensions allow the use of gauge correct wads, unlike the MAGTECH.

While I obviously like the RMC, I am cognizant they are an expensive affectation to play with and not for everyone.
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Well, when it rains it pours. Bought some brass shells and then a case of low-pressure 2 1/2 inch RSTs when they finally became available. Nice to have some backstock. Looking forward to the brassies too.