16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR-16 wads.
lbrown
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Any news about scheduled production this summer? Thanks!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:01 am  Reply with quote

I don't know about the DR16, but I saw a Unicorn the other day.

FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:21 am  Reply with quote

That unicorn sighting may be a good sign. Cool

I hadn’t talked with Kevin since last year when he was waiting on one component to do a DR16 run. I spoke with him a few minutes ago and he says that he has everything in house now and has tentatively scheduled a DR16 run for later this month.

Stay tuned.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:36 am  Reply with quote

The check is in the mail......I'll still respect you in the morning......the DR16's are scheduled to run.

lbrown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:14 am  Reply with quote

FallCreekFan wrote:
That unicorn sighting may be a good sign. Cool

I hadn’t talked with Kevin since last year when he was waiting on one component to do a DR16 run. I spoke with him a few minutes ago and he says that he has everything in house now and has tentatively scheduled a DR16 run for later this month.

Stay tuned.

Excellent news!
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I would suggest that any and everyone that has a need for the DR -16 wad upon the next run , one might want to aquire all that might be needed for the long haul.

Dry spells have been a proven phenomenal phenomenon.

Best Regards , Charles Nicholas Hammack
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I put in an order for a case of DR-16's two years ago, wonder if I'm still on the waiting list?

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Honestly Nick, I spent time and money on the DR16 wad data, because of two things. One, because you put so much time into it. Two, it's a great wad.

I obviously don't know the whole story with DownRange and there have been lots of rumors that I won't touch because I am probably about 100 people removed from the real truth. I will say that DownRange, somewhere along the line, could have done something a little better.

Yes, you sense a bit of frustration and I don't mean to come off mean spirited. None of this is directed at you.

Luckily, I have had some good folks from the 16 Gauge Society help me out over the last two years, so that I can continue to shoot some nice 7/8 oz. loads using the DR16.

Be well,

Mark

Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:04 am  Reply with quote

While everyone waits for the DR-16 wads to reappear, why not give 2 1/2” shells a try? There’s nothing the DR-16 can do that can’t be done as well or better with 2 1/2” hulls and SG16 / SG16S wads.

Some say that 2 1/2” shells don’t pattern as well in 2 3/4” chambers but I’ve never seen the difference.

V/R
B.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11,

That is a good idea for small batches but, 2 1/2" hulls don't run through a 9000G very well. I do shoot enough 16 gauge loads at targets to not want to use my Sizemaster.

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Interesting idea about 2-1/2 hulls.

But, it'll be a while before I wear out enough to want to cut down.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, You load a lot of RGL's, right? They're usually about 67 or 68 mm long, only about 1/8 inch longer than a 65mm hull. If one can load a 7/8 ounce load with the Claybuster CB0078-16, you should be good to go with those wads. If you really had to get along with something like those in a Euro hull, it would be easy to stand up a group of those CB0078-16 wads, say 50 or so, stick a 20 or 28 gauge .125 overpowder card in them and load away quickly with your MEC 9000. If gas and powder sealing were a concern, you could even do this with Gualandi wads and still not slow down your 9000 that much. It beats the heck out of pining for those floppy DR-16's (which are no picnic in a progressive loader) and bitching about unavailability.

No offense, bud! Wink Laughing

Have a good day -- lots of them!
Tony

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Max Smoke,

I had changed over to the RGL hull (I only have about 1,000 RGL's) and the CB0078-16, before I was recently given these two+ bags of DR16's. I have only so many RGL hulls and since they go bad after 2-3 reloads, I can burn through my entire stash over a summer, even in ND, LOL.

I don't have any problem with the DR16 for 7/8 oz. loads in my Federal, RIO, Cheddite/Winchester/Herter hulls on my 9000G.

I am not a fan of some of the other DownRange wads, so it doesn't take much to get me going about DownRange.

After these DR16's are gone, I am going to 1 oz. loads using Vihtavuori N320, in the hulls I mentioned above using the Gualandi wad. I am done waiting for Alliant, Hodgdon and DownRange (and Fed/Win/Rem/CCI) to get off their collective butts so that I can continue breaking targets and hunting.

lbrown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
I would suggest that any and everyone that has a need for the DR -16 wad upon the next run , one might want to aquire all that might be needed for the long haul.

Dry spells have been a proven phenomenal phenomenon.

Best Regards , Charles Nicholas Hammack

Nick, good hearing from you . . . remembering the old Flatwater Shoot days. The DR-16 is a great wad. Of course component supply has been screwed up for quite awhile, but unfortunately the DR-16s have been a particular problem.

I have a good stash of the CB 7/8 oz wads, but I haven't been able to get them to work well for me in the Herters hulls. They do work pretty well in the Rem Game Loads with Unique powder. Then it's a question of finding hulls.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Due to this being an imperfect world , I just had to go out and spend money on a couple of wad molds .

Design a wad that has the lowest standard deviation in pressure and velocity of any and all wads ever manufactured.

A wad that is the Bridgeport of wads , one that will load 1/2 , 5/8 , 3/4 , 7/8 and 1 OZ.

Set up an agreement with a company that has as bad luck as some of the rest of us , having three roofs blown off and other bad luck issues that one has no control over

No hopes of ever recovering money spent on the endeavor, 6% recovery to date , now that is sound business practices , NOT!!!!!

Set up a fun hunt for the 16 ga. crowd in the Dakota's with the intentions of having illustrated the distinguish characteristics of gun , dog and hunters in the field of which the majority came through exemplifying those traits, with a small minority diametrically opposite causing myself to feel shame and disgust.

Years have passed since 2008 , from a standpoint of business practices , I should not have brought the project to life , from a view point of pointing out to the likes of Mike Jordan of Winchester , Jess Hamblin of Federal and Browning and a host of other ney sayers, oh a special mention to ole GG who turned out to be a proponent later on.

I DONE GOOD!!!!!!

Regards Nick