16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  cheddite primers?
kennedy756
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:59 am  Reply with quote

down to my last brick of winchester primers, local trap range is selling cheddite primers, I load rem game load hulls, how well will they fit?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:19 am  Reply with quote

The Winchester primer has a small section of the end of the primer that is several thousandths smaller than the rest of the primer body. I had a buddy call me with issues of the Cheddite primers not fully seating in once fired AA hulls. He got some Winchester primers from his son and problem solved, but we did discuss taking a drill bit and cleaning up that necked down portion of the primer pocket. He thought that seemed like more work than he needed that particular day.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Cheddite primers fit every 16 gauge hull I have tried them in except RIO's. Federal, new Winchester and Remington hulls were fine.

Haven't had a problem with 12 gauge Federal GM, Federal papers or Top Gun either.

Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Kennedy, Back in March I posted about a couple loads tested by Precision in a batch with Cold Iron. The first is just what youre talking about. Its shooting so well in my Iside, I dont care if the DRs ever show up again.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Never had a problem with cheddite primers. Been using them 20 years on everything except RIO'S. YOU have to use Rio primers.Dont know if rios primers are available right now. But their 16 hull is an excellent hull. 6 to 8 reloads to the hull. More if you keep the pressures down.

Last edited by Hammer bill on Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:19 am  Reply with quote

Ballistic Products has RIO primers. I picked up 3000 a couple of weeks ago. I just checked their website and they still have them, $62 per 1000.

probie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Hammer..... "YOU have to use Rio primers". I'm assuming you meant in Rio hulls. I agree with you in that the Rio hull is an excellent hull. I'm on my 5th reload with a batch & they still look great. However, I've been using the Noble 688 in the Rio hull w/o any issues. I do confine that usage to my 2 SxSs though; a Parker-Hale & an Iside.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have experienced zero issues putting Cheddite primers in AA hulls of any gauge. The old Win Polyforms were a different story: I played hell de-priming them since the flash hole was so small (the de-priming stem would stick in them tight, making removal of the hull far from pleasant or easy).

nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have had no issues with Cheddite primers in any of the hulls I've been reloading - Winchester AA Supersports (gray hulls), AA (red - both older and newer types), and Remington STS.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:33 am  Reply with quote

probie wrote:
Hammer..... "YOU have to use Rio primers". I'm assuming you meant in Rio hulls. I agree with you in that the Rio hull is an excellent hull. I'm on my 5th reload with a batch & they still look great. However, I've been using the Noble 688 in the Rio hull w/o any issues. I do confine that usage to my 2 SxSs though; a Parker-Hale & an Iside.

Probie thanks for the info. I'll give them a try.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Only "FIT" problems I've seen is in 12ga Fios . Most go in firm enough , but a good portion can be pushed in by hand kinda easy . A couple , per hundred , will pop out in my SX-1 when the gun cycles . Usually keep an eye out for this , but can hamper the 2nd shell feeding on a doubles shot . Not a game changer , just a pest !

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

I've also had no issues with Cheddite in Federal Remington, or Winchester 12 or 16 gauge. As a matter of fact the only reason I'd go back to Winchester is if they were cheaper. I do have a small stash of Winchesters ,Federal, and Remington for my higher pressure Bismuth loads just to follow tested data.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

I've also had no issues with Cheddite in Federal Remington, or Winchester 12 or 16 gauge. As a matter of fact the only reason I'd go back to Winchester is if they were cheaper. I do have a small stash of Winchesters ,Federal, and Remington for my higher pressure Bismuth loads just to follow tested data.
lbrown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've had no problems at all with Ched primers in RGL hulls.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Ballistic Products has RIO primers. I picked up 3000 a couple of weeks ago. I just checked their website and they still have them, $62 per 1000.

I bought a sleeve of RIOs years ago, still have a partial brick. Mine are labelled 209/G600; the ones on BPI are labelled 209/G1000. I found them to be a cooler primer, with iffy ignition in light loads/cold temps compared to Cheddites. How do the newer ones compare? any issues seating them in Win/Rem/Fed hulls?