16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Interesting note on Fox Guns
txshootist
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys (and gals),

For doing all the homework for us newbies. I have a nice collection of pre-64 Winchesters that I started collecting back in the mid 60's, but I bought my first classic double just the other day (a pristine Lefever Nitro Special 16). What I am trying to say is... part of the decision to buy it over an Ithaca Flues was from what I have learned here on the board.

Having read this group of threads on the Fox now channels my interests more toward the Fox Sterlingworth over the Parker Trojan. Of course, I reserve the right to be totally emotional about ANY gun that I purchase whereby I just totally ignore what is said here on the forum - LOL. The information here is invaluable if one choses to use it.

My next goal is a nice Elsie Field grade in as nice a shape as the Nitro.

Thanks for all the help!

NEW to the board,
Marc
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I own Parkers, but I would not think twice...all other issues being equal I'd take a Sterlingworth over a Trojan.

Jeff
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Rev and Dave,

Now here is a nice looking LC. But it is a shame the side plates dont fit the action body well.

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19177&page=1#Post19177

Jeff
jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I also started my search for a nice 16GA double on the trojan.
But as you stated all things being equal...well they're not equal.
The Sterlingworth is lighter and thats what tipped the scales for me.
There really isnt much cost savings either way. They are hovering in the same price bracket from what I'd found, at least when condition is equal.

They are both excellent choices though and cnat really go wrong with either if you do some reseaarch. Also, I found the sterly at a bargain price for 1,000 bucks in great condition except the exterior of the bbls which will cost me about 200-300 bucks to address. But still, even after that it will have only cost me 1300 at most. Action was pristine as is bore interior. Wood has got some nicks and dings in it but nothing deep. Not even what I'd call normal wear and tear for a 70 year old gun. Top lever was still well to the right, bbls rang very nicely, and no quick fixes have been done to receiver /barrel fit to make it just appear tight. No buggered screws either.
Can't wait to send it off to Keracher.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

I agree to the reference to picking the gun up and closing your eyes so that you are only concerned about the balance and overall feel of the gun. That has always made me pick a Fox over a Parker. I also don't "get it" when I see the prices they are asking. The coolest 16 I've ever handled was a well worn Greener with long barrels,straight grip and a top saftey. I would'nt even want to guess what it weighed cause it balanced so well.Coudn't come up with the cash for that one and it's been haunting me ever since.

jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

And that begs the question I'be been meaning to ask anyway;
are 30" bbls really conducive to an upland gun?

So many of the old American doubles were with lots of drop and long bores.
I know when I take my 30" browning to the uplands I'm constantly coming close to snagging the bores on stuff. I don't becasue I'm real careful but being 5'7" walking up steep inclines through chest high sage and grasses chasing chukar and quail can make it tough with those long tubes. Then you gotta hurk it to your shoulder when your standing there with your tongue hanging out panting for air and trying to keep the sweat from landing on your metal. I dont know, for me I think 28" is the upper limit if I'm gonna throw down the big bucks. I took the browning on my last chukar hunt, but never again. It was just becasue it was brand new and I wanted to try it. I will take it out to the more rolling, gradual wheat country for rooster though, or to the duck ponds. But that sub 6Lb 26'bored Sterly is gonna feel nice this Wednesday on my next (and unfortunately) final Chukar hunt of the year. Gonna do one day of chukar/Quail and one day of rooster for the grand finally.
Dogfox
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:50 am  Reply with quote

You're saying that the very last 2" or 4" of barrel (26 to 30") is what gets caught on brush or that the extra weight of an extra 2-4" of barrel cause you to sweat and your arms to ache when walking around "panting for air"??? That sounds like more arm chair reading than actual hunting experience. 26" barrel;s do look cool and they are easier to get swinging but you'll find they are too easy to swing past a bird and they don't give you the sighting plane that longre barrels do. Even the skeet shooters are getting away from the 26" barrels that were primo for years and you'l see lots of 30 or 32" guns at the tournaments.
jig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:24 am  Reply with quote

As for sounding "armchair" I'm not even gonna go there.
In fact, you sound armchair to not know that the weight and the length are issues in my country. Obviously, you have no idea what chukar hunting is all about. It takes bird hunting to a whole other level. And I'm not talking so much about the shooting part either. I'd love to see the look on your face after the first hour of hunting chukars let alone an entire day. I 'm laughing just thinking about it as I'm getting my stuff ready to go.

30" bbls and 7-8 Lb guns don't cause anyone to sweat. But trudging up a couple thousand vertical feet, rising through shale, basalt and talus covered
slopes does. Sound like anything you know something about? Didnt think so. Bye
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I'd say chukar, and above tree line ptarmigan in Colorado, most certainly call for a Benelli UltraLight http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/ultraLight.tpl
Hard to hurt, easy to carry, and I'd want the 24" brl (recognizing that the receiver adds almost 3" to the sighting plane) and (gasp Shocked ) a plastic stock. Now if they'd only make one in 16g Wink