16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga weight
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:53 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather,

Exactly, hype. More hype than truth in a thread like this.

I am sure there are some folks that truly need a lighter shotgun for the more difficult terrain, like the stuff that chukar hunters encounter. The rest of us........probably not.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

You know, backpackers are all about shedding weight from their gear and only carry essentials. There is a reason for that, it's about energy consumption, performance, speed, and endurance.

I have found that when I hunt rough cover, mountainous cover, wet swampy cover, anything difficult to get through or to, I like having a lighter weight gun and I don't carry more than I need.

For folks that drive to the edge of the cover, make a half hour loop on a logging road before getting back to the truck and driving to the next cover, gun weight is much less important.

I have hunted preserves with heavy guns and that's fine with me because I'm not humping it up the side of a mountain through 10 year old clearcut growth and puckerbrush.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

It's a bit demeaning to posit that those of us who feel a slightly heavier gun is OK or even preferable always walk just a few hundred yards on dry, flat, open ground.

We don't have logging roads out here, but we do have section-long draws where the bluestem is up to your shoulders or higher and thick enough to trip you at every step. The badger holes are hard to see in there, and you usually go in up to your crotch if you find one. Takes a little more than a half hour to get through one of those covers usually. We do typically drive to the next cover however.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

No logging roads here,

or here,

or here,

After thinking about this for awhile, it seems we run into this question at least once every year. Many of us, including myself, take it a bit personal when others disagree with our likes and dislikes concerning light/heavy shotguns. There is no one here that is right or wrong about what their favorite shotgun weighs. We all shoot what we believe to be the best shotgun for us to kill a bird with. While we might not agree with what the best weight for a 16 gauge shotgun should be, we all might consider that none of us has anyone else's experiences, physical attributes, hand eye coordination, hunting situations etc., and all that will influence what we personally think the correct weight for a 16 gauge shotgun to be used in the uplands. And yes I do understand that my likes are pretty much on the heavy end of the scale.

Anyway, the photos were taken just after noon today. The dogs and I had a good morning. The bird in the center was a 45 to 50 yard crosser. Probably the best shot I have ever had on a Sharpie and (yes I am going to say it) with my slightly obese 16 gauge 1100, 0.015" choke and this load:

Cheddite 2 3/4" hull
Winchester 209
20.8 grains of Vihtavuori N320
Gualandi BRG16/21 wad (SG16)
1 oz. #7 Remington STS shot
1223 FPS

Oh yeah and that N320 burns really clean. I love that powder and I would have never found it if Hodgdon had kept on making Universal......Thank you Hodgdon!!

I have edited a previous post as when I reread it, it would be considered argumentative.

May everyone here have a great hunting season!

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:32 am  Reply with quote

think you said it all in this last post !

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:33 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019,

Nice Shooting sir, well done, especially using a Duck gun!
Just kidding and have a great season.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

I was explaining my personal reasons for preferring a light gun, and the situations where I feel it matters to me, in my opinion, as it applies to me. My apologies if this was construed as a personal affront, I did not name any names and it was not directed at anyone in particular.

My point was responding that an individual may have many reasons for preferring a lighter weight gun, other than "hype", and that was all. I perhaps should have worded it differently, so please accept my humble apology for any ruffled feathers.

Peace, love, and 16 gauges everyone - may you all shoot straight, and have a safe and thoroughly enjoyable season!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Carry all day? I've carried a 10 ga. all day, but don't consider it all that pleasant. On long strenuous hunts, especially after several days of such activity, I find 6 lbs. to be about right. Not all of my guns weigh 6, but the ones that do sure are a blessing when I'm dog tired.

IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I carried a 10 ga double one time all day turkey hunting with a friend. Thought it'd be cool to bag a tom with it. Last time I did that bonehead move!

Although I grew up using a Winchester model 37 16 ga into my very early teen years, I moved to a 12 ga. What set me back on the path of a 16 ga was dragging a 7+. almost 8 lb lb Remington 1900 12 g around pheasant hunting in some typical N ID pheasant country i.e. not flat with some terrain bordering on chukar type terrain, in some 80+ degree temps. By days end I was soaked in sweat, my arms felt like they had stretched a few inches and I was thoroughly whipped! I sought out, after that weekend a suitable lighter weight alternative, which happened to be about anything 16 ga.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:26 am  Reply with quote

And that’s where I go.

Give me 10 days straight of busting brush, and by day two I’ll be glad my gun is light. In past years my limits came on day 4 or 5, enough time to figure out the birds and get in the swing.

Maybe I could improve on that swing or be more observant of the birds, but when I remove the weight factor it’s just less to deal with. Tired bodies make mistakes.

May you all hunt with your best gun, whatever the weight, and enjoy your days afield!

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Update.Sent the gun back pitch way off on the butt for me.This was my first time handling a english sxs and was blow away by the fit and finish.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

After Grouse hunting the Greer Mining mountain in WVa for the 1st time long ago, we decided to never carry our 12 gauge guns on those mountains, much of the mountain was straight up and full of trees, carrying a 7+ lb gun on those mountains would have been very foolish and probably dangerous, especially when the mountains were snow covered. For those sportsman who believe a light gun is just hype, this mountain chain will make believers of you no matter your strength or size, in the light Grouse gun. Having huntered Montana for many years this particular mountain range in WVa because much of it is almost straight up, even has the Tobacco mountains in Montana beat for ruggedness. A light 16, 20 or 28 gauge gun is the order of the day, even if you plan on only hunting a half day, which in those mountains means you will be climbing your entire hunt. No a light gun is not hype in the Greer Mining country, if you want to have enough energy to actually gun Grouse correctly.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
canvasback
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:39 am  Reply with quote

What other sport, yes hunting can be considered a sport, does the weight and handling characteristics of the sporting implement not be considered. Tennis racquets, hockey sticks, baseball bats, skis….the list is endless. Of course we should be considering what works best for each of us. To put your head down and think “ my daddy didn’t so I’m not” is just dumb.

That said, like with all those other examples, what is right for you is what works….not an arbitrary set of specifications. The specs simply tell you what you are using and how to replicate if you need a new one.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:44 am  Reply with quote

This isn't a knock on anybody's preferences but... IMHO a heavier 16 is somewhat defeating the purpose of the gauge.

For lethality, a 12-gauge is pretty hard to beat. One shot kills are the norm and it's effectiveness is simply unquestioned. The downside of all that killing efficiency is the corresponding weight and recoil one must tolerate in order to use it. As a younger man, I hauled every version of a 12-guage you can imagine, all-over hill and dale (and never gave it a second thought), but sadly...as you age your physical plant starts to become less efficient (and in oh so-many ways!). With a heavier gun (~7lbs) , as the day and miles wear-on it becomes harder for me to quickly and efficiently respond to the shot when a bird launches unexpectedly. With my 6lb 16-bore, that never seems to be much of a problem.

My current 12-gauge o/u target gun weighs 9 1/2 lbs and with it I can shoot a hundred clay targets (or more) without any noticeable discomfort. All that weight soaks up the accumulated recoil (and smooths out my swing) and it's simply the right gun for the job at hand. But for upland work, I now have to balance lethality with weight (and handling) to do a very specific job, and for me a light 16 double is simply perfection. There are very light 12s that can probably do that as well, but they are fairly rare (& accordingly expensive to both own & feed). One ounce of shot out of a ~six pound gun works very well for me, as it has for many others who have gone before me.

I have even lighter sub-gauge guns and occasionally do use them (in situations where very-long and hard-walking days are anticipated), but they simply don't work quite as well for me as my little 16 does. There is a noticeable loss of lethality as shot amounts fall much under 1-ounce (at least that is what I've observed).

It's all subjective, of course, and your mileage may vary.

ROMAC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3 wrote:
This isn't a knock on anybody's preferences but... IMHO a heavier 16 is somewhat defeating the purpose of the gauge.

Well said Lloyd3, my thoughts exactly. I can tolerate weight pretty well but 6 3/4 pounds is my limit for a 16 gauge. Most of the ones I have are between 6 and 6 1/4 pounds.