16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Choke Tube Mystery
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:27 am  Reply with quote

Been looking for a autoloader and experiencing the same theme over and over. I find a decent gun for sale and it comes with one choke tube and no wrench that's it. What do people do try and make a extra buck and peddle the tubes separately? Actually found one decent gun with no choke tubes??? Must sell them on usedchoketubes.com

Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:07 am  Reply with quote

A lot of guns get traded and people do t bring the extra tubes with them. Also when someone dies their family members sell their guns and don’t know they have tubes that go with them. Some people just keep them for the next gun if applicable.
win7stw
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:12 am  Reply with quote

A lot of shops have boxes full of choke tubes that you can buy cheap. Just ask next time you are in one

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:27 am  Reply with quote

I can see it on a O/U looking for two IC chokes but how many duplicate chokes do you need for a single barrel? Looked at 5 guns so far one choke tube included. Buy 2 chokes and a wrench there's another $150-$175 added onto the price of the gun.
Then you hope the choke in the gun isn't stuck because the seller has no wrench to check it.Oh what a pickle.

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:56 am  Reply with quote

I can see it on a O/U looking for two IC chokes but how many duplicate chokes do you need for a single barrel? Looked at 5 guns so far one choke tube included. Buy 2 chokes and a wrench there's another $150-$175 added onto the price of the gun.
Then you hope the choke in the gun isn't stuck because the seller has no wrench to check it.Oh what a pickle.

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Tubes lost due to poor organization, as opposed to greed, are a more likely scenario.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:19 am  Reply with quote

I store my choke tubes in these zipper pouches and mark the outside with the gauge and shotgun identity using a paint pen. I mark the plastic tube tops with the choke designation and if I'm not sure what chokes are in a gun, all I have to do is check which plastic tubes are empty and I have my answer. Works for me.

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:20 am  Reply with quote

The last 5 guns I looked at are missing chokes. Must be a lot of unorganized people.

Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:18 am  Reply with quote

For What It's Worth the final stats.
15 out of 17 Autoloaders on GB and GI came with one (majority) or no choke tubes at all. 13 of those 15 no wrench. Further investigation revealed no boxes of used choke tubes at the gunshops and asking around my gun club who has lost choke tubes, no one.

I was fortunate and found a 10 year old NIB 20ga Benelli Montefeltro 5 chokes, wrench, shims, and accessories, 5lbs 9 oz, light recoil at a terrific price. Functions flawlessly, wish they made them in 16ga.
Won't I be able to clean the grouse off the birch limbs with this thing.

Mystery continues maybe the grandkids have something to do with this?
End of story.

drcook
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

There are lots of barrels that get separated from their receivers the same way and also bolts. A lot of the serial nbr'ed Ithaca 37 barrels that aren't from the parter-outers, were separated by kids/wives/etc because they didn't know they belonged together.

Same with bolts. During the time my buddy had his gunsmith shop open, he said he saw lots of guns come in with no bolts, bought at yardsales, flea markets etc as the owner had stashed them somewhere for safe keeping and then died.