16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  boss copper plated bismuth in fixed choke belgien A-5
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:35 am  Reply with quote

I would not buy anything from Boss.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:13 pm  Reply with quote

Citori16, I fully agree to err on the side of caution. Modern shotguns have a safety factor of three or four times (or more) the SAAMI pressure spec. Virtually all bursts, bulges or rings in modern guns are from obstructions, including snow, ice and water., not overpressure loads. I probably wouldn’t fire a gun unless there were at least a 2X safety factor, as you note there are too many unknown variables.

B.
Citori16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:16 am  Reply with quote

bmarks wrote:
Do y'all order the Boss loads with lower muzzle velocities (less pressure) ?

I know that i mainly shoot lead loads out of my older shotguns that are generally less than 1200fps muzzle v.

Boss loads are advertised as hotter than that

I'm going to be more specific on some things from my previous post. These are only my opinions based on reading from reliable sources, as well as talking to gunsmiths.

The current (as of this morning) offering from Boss in 16 ga is 1-1/8 oz @ 1240 fps.

I would NOT feed this to my Ithaca Flues as the wood is 102 years old and there would be significant recoil at that speed with that heavy of a load, and there is no published pressure that I can find. I limit that gun to 7/8 oz @ 1165 fps with a max press of 8500 psi. This is a self-imposed limit, hopefully conservative, and the gun is still at the smith for a repair & inspection so should there be any adverse indications that could change things. I already know the chambers were lengthened, and while I have shot similar loads from it, I consider it literally dumb luck that I did not have an issue.

My point is, it depends on the gun. Some older guns can handle it, and some people are more comfortable with risk. Assuming a solid vintage gun & normal hunting situations (not high quantity target shooting), it would be a better choice than a modern hi-speed duck load. I prefer a tested reloading recipe and measured drops.