16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Thoughts
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Since it is cocktail hour here, I was thinking ( I know, dangerous), since I have some nice 16's, if I get another gauge of gun, which one? 12,20 or 28?
Mostly upland hunting, but do do a duck occasionally. I shoot mostly bismuth.
Weight is a consideration.
Just sold a CZ Sharptail 12 ga because it is was stone post heavy.
Hard to go away from 12 ga, but my 16's are just way too versatile.
Maybe just buy another 16?
Thanks, Bob
16crazy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Completely your call but imho I would take stock of my days afield and see where that pushes you.
If you have need for a 12 go for it, or for that matter a 20 or 28.

In my case a 16 suits my days afield perfectly so I would look to buy another 16 if I was in the market.

I have found my 16 LC and 16 Uggie meets 95% of my needs. The other 5% is covered by my 10 ga bps.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

BWW,
I have a lot of 16 gauge guns, mostly L.C. Smith and J.P. Sauer and LeFever.
In fact I just purchased another nice L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun this past week, just could not pass the gun up.

16crazy is correct the 16 gauge gun is so versatile it cover many of my upland needs, they are my favorite Grouse guns for sure. I use my 12 gauge guns for Pheasants when they are not holding for my dogs also shoot a few clays with them, the 20 and 28's are definitely my most treasured Woodcock guns. Take a close look at what you will be hunting, and make the decision from that knowledge. It is so hard to pass up a graded L.C. Smith 16 gauge gun, especially the pre 13 guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Never pass up a #7 L.C. Smith 16 gauge gun, never!

#5 L.C. Smith 16 gauge pre 13 gun, what Dreams are made of!

Original Fox A Grade 16 gauge with upgraded stock, good for a secondary dream.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
df
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

If you can’t decide what gauge, get a SXS two barrel set, either 28/20 or 20/16. I did that in a Rizzini 550B, 20/16.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

BWW,

I do agree with the 2 barrel set idea!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith Special Order 00 16 gauge two barrel set, with Kraus #1 Gun engraving.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

I strongly suggest you base your choice on intended use as you indicated. Gun designs today are becoming very use specific. See the thread on Sporting Clays in the Guns section here. There are some absolutely outstanding 16 ga sporting guns to be had out there if that’s what you are interested in.

Many new guns are dual purpose hunting/sporting as well. That’s probably where I would start. Honestly, I wouldn’t look much at older generation all purpose guns, because the newer designs are so much superior, just my opinion.

I’ve been looking around and it has taken me some time, as well as obtaining excellent advice from championship level shooters, to understand and appreciate what makes a particular gun suitable, or unsuitable for various purposes. I believe we’ve never had it so good with the great variety of modern high quality guns available including 16 ga. Enjoy the quest!

B.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:05 am  Reply with quote

If I was to think about a different gauge it would probably be a 28 with 3” chambers for those much longer treks. 16 is so versatile that it’s about the same as a 3” 20.

Otherwise maybe a 3” 12 for more fowl with a bit of upland, double of course.

But I like the versatility of a 16, so given a choice of any gauge, it would be 16.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Citori16,

No doubt about it the L.C. Smith 16 gauge guns are my favorite Grouse & Woodcock guns, and in reality I own more than a few of them. Just picked up another L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun to add to the Grouse gun collection this past week. Once you carry an L.C. smith 16 gauge gun in the Grouse woods they are very hard to leave at home. I do have other guns, however none I like as well. Being a traditional Grouse & Woodcock hunter, I am addicted to these L.C. Smith 16 gauge American Classic Side Lock double guns. IMO every bird hunter should own more than one of them.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The latest addition to our 16 gauge Grouse gun collection.

16'er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Franchi instinct L in 12ga is in the 16ga weight class. Of course there is one in 16 as well as 20 if you want something even lighter. The 28ga is on the 20 frame and is heavier than the 20ga. The 20ga with 3/4 oz loads (fiocchi) makes more sense. For versatility the 12ga loaded with 1oz or 7/8 loads (B&p) is pretty good. Plus you have steel capability.

I have an AyA XXV in 12ga that weighs 6.25 lbs. if you prefer horizontal barrel alignment.

30’s vintage Sauer 12ga boxlock should be between 6 and 6.5lbs. I have one from simpsons ltd and it has 2 3/4” chambers. I opened the chokes for working pen birds over pointing dogs. It’s my rainy day sxs, and is 6lbs 5ozs and is happy with B&p 1oz loads.

Just a few options from my view point on upland guns.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

I will say that the next "planned" acquisition is either going to be a Browning 725 Trap Max or Trap Golden Clays, and I'm torn because I love the receiver art on the Golden Clays, but I also want the adjustable rib on the Trap Max, and Browning says no custom orders on stock guns...

Unplanned is whatever 16 gauge I find that strikes my fancy, and honestly the 16's I stumble upon have keep pushing back the acquisition date on the Browning Traps(s), whichever I end up deciding on...
Cheesy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

I like them all. Different horses for different courses. They all have their place. None are magical, I know, on the wrong forum for that statement. I don’t have a 28, but will.
Citori16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

An Elsie 16 is in my future, you have a nice one there. Almost took the plunge on
one weighing 6.25 lbs, but decided to hold off. Like BWW, I am on the lookout for something new, but am holding the line on the specs I want, likely it will be a German gun, 16 of course. The Elsie will come after that. Then maybe a light Fox. Then an NID.

My Citori weighing 6.5 lbs is a great compromise for me, being able to throw some heavy loads while still light enough for a hilly trek.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

As alluded to above, the Rizzini Comp 16 might qualify as the queen of 16 gauge guns today. With adjustable comb option, it’s quite remarkable.
https://www.rizziniusa.com/comp-16/

B.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
As alluded to above, the Rizzini Comp 16 might qualify as the queen of 16 gauge guns today. With adjustable comb option, it’s quite remarkable.
https://www.rizziniusa.com/comp-16/

B.

I hate the "Competition 16" on the receiver though, I'd rather it just be plain.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

It is indeed rather bold, but it might reduce the number of “What IS that?” questions you get at the range.

B.