16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  MEC 600 JR. STEEL final crimp die 16 gauge.
citori16guy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all !

I have been searching for an old style MEC STEEL final crimp die in 16 gauge. Does anyone have a used one for sale ? I Presently use a plastic one and feel some of my hulls would finish better in a steel die.

Don't need a whole die set just the last crimp station in steel. Maybe someone has spare parts ?? PM me please, thanks ! Dan .

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Dan, I enjoy your tag line/avatar...curious to understand; what are you experiencing w/a Plastic Final Die that you aren't from an old style Steel Final Die??

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

I have the steel dies on my 20 and 12 ga. MEC 650 presses and they do a better job. It seems, if I remember correctly, that not only are they made to tighter tolerances, but are slightly longer so the die fully holds/covers the plastic portion of the hull rather than allowing it to bulge below the die during crimping pressure.

MSM2019 made an extension to solve this issue with his press. I will be doing the same for my MEC 16 ga. crimp die.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 am  Reply with quote

I did the sane thing for a 366 I converted. I just us the 366 for one piticular load. Don really care much for the 366 though. It does the job good but to change to a different load can be a hassle.
Citori16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 am  Reply with quote

Wyo or MSM,

Any details you can provide on the extension? I occasionally get bulged cases and haven’t had success with adjusting. Very frustrating.

citori16guy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:52 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Hello Dan, I enjoy your tag line/avatar...curious to understand; what are you experiencing w/a Plastic Final Die that you aren't from an old style Steel Final Die??

On Fiocchi and Cheddite hulls there is a slight bulge on the O.D. of the hull near the crimp. I think the plastic final die doesn't support the hull enough at finish . They are snug to chamber in all my guns when shooting.
I have steel dies in 20 gauge and 12 on other 600 Juniors that don't exhibit the bulge. I would prefer a 16 gauge STEEL final die if I can locate one.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 am  Reply with quote

citori16guy wrote:
putz463 wrote:

On Fiocchi and Cheddite hulls there is a slight bulge on the O.D. of the hull near the crimp. I think the plastic final die doesn't support the hull enough at finish . They are snug to chamber in all my guns when shooting.
I have steel dies in 20 gauge and 12 on other 600 Juniors that don't exhibit the bulge. I would prefer a 16 gaug
e STEEL final die if I can locate one.

I drew the measurements and had a friend turn me one out.Bill
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

10-4, relevant MSM2019 sleeve thread....

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24790&highlight=crimp