16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  One fine day
Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:05 am  Reply with quote

My son and I had a very nice preserve pheasant hunt on Friday. I wanted it to be an all 16 gauge day, so I gave my son his choice of which 16 he would use. He chose the Ithaca 37R, 26" Imp Cyl, which left me my Browning Lightning Feather, 28" w/tubes.

I had a great time with my brittany and son on this hunt. With him in college, I haven't gotten out hunting with him often enough this year. And after all the compliments I heap on my brit, it sure was satisfying to hear him recount what a swell bird dog she has developed into.

I acquired this Ithaca 37R last spring, and had it restored by Les Hovencamp. My son hadn't used this gun prior to this hunt, but I may never get it out of his hands again. He shot it VERY well, and said he understood what I meant about it being an excellent bird gun. Boy it sure is nice once in a while to hear your son say the old man was right!

I think I can rest assured this vintage 1952 Ithaca 37 will be enjoyed frequently even after I'm done with it. Which now that I think about it may be sooner than later! I am optimistic I have passed the traditon of hunting, my passion for the shotgun shooting sports, as well as my appreciation for Ithacas and the 16 gauge in general to the next generation.

A day like last Friday was one of those days that all was right in the world; one that I was truly enjoying being outdoors bird hunting, with the companionship of my only son and bird dog, and feeling totally fulfilled and content. I felt humbled to have such a fine day bestowed upon me, and said a prayer of thanks that night.

I hope all of you have had an as enjoyable a bird season as I have had this year. And I want to thank all that contribute to making this website one that I often reach out to at day's end.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:00 am  Reply with quote

You're one lucky gentleman.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:41 am  Reply with quote

I can relate to sons liking those pumps so much, mine loves my Win 12 16 bore I.C., he shoots it so well, and I guess it has pretty much become his.

He's a little younger than your son, he's just 14, but last season yielded his first dove, partridge, duck and goose, (at 13). This year brought his first wild rooster, sage grouse, and sharptail! I, too, give thanks for these wonderful experiences in the field each and every time I get to go out. Even more, to share this passion with him, and see him taking to it, maybe with not quite the same zeal as the old man yet, but with deep interest nevertheless, really makes the pursuit extra special. It's in his blood now, and I don't think it'll be shaken.

To be able to pass down a hunting legacy and the sheer exhileration of the flush, the guns we use, traversing the wild places where we find our quarry, the dog work, caring for the game.....it is such a joy and honor to hand it all over and watch him begin to assimilate it all into his own particular personality and tastes, for example, he prefers pheasants to partridge and likes waterfowl best of all (and for now, favors deer and elk over all of it, but I know deep inside he'll come 'round to prefering shotgunning as he matures, and doubleguns at that....)

Anyways, thanks for sharing, it got me thinking and thanking, too.....it was a rich season, and I am very grateful.....

warm regds,

Duncan

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Cool Cool Cool
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Great story, Grousen. Nothing like fathers & sons. Thanks for sharing.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook