16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My first 16 ga Sterli
kosinar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I kept looking at it for few days and finaly bought it. I am not sure how will I like it in person but it looks like good deal for shooter 16 ga Sterli. I would appreciate your opinions base on the picture on gun broker listing and picture. I asked seller for serial number but I do not consider it important since I do not care for collector value of the gun. Seller has another 16 ga Sterli two barrell set on gun broker also. Buy price is $3000. I wish I could buy it. I went to gun show Saturday to take a second look at 16ga and 20ga Sterlis I saw on the previous gun shows but both were already gone. Both were priced at $1,900 and $1,800. It is hard to find anything decent for less than $2,000 at least in my area. The only Fox I saw and bought was nice model B with Waterfowl ingraving on the receiver in 12 ga for $425. It is in good shape except that some gun improvement jerk hacked 2" from the original 28" barrels.
Thanks in advance.

Gun broker Item # 63872037
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:03 am  Reply with quote

tough to see it well in only one picture - congrats on the purchase - I hope it serves you well
kosinar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Sprocket. Have you look at that other 2 barrell set 16ga Sterli? Is $3,000 price range reasonal? How did they get original serial number on second barrell set. Was that done by factory at the time of the fitting barrells to the receiver?
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:57 am  Reply with quote

I'm just not qualified to give you answers - sorry - I'm not an expert by any means, more of an enthusiast at best.

I know there's some here who will pitch in when they see the thread, be patient.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Here's the 2 brl set http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63871163
Pretty cool and the seller is probably correct that the second brls were post 1929 Savage add-ons as they are marked '2' and the serial #s match.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Looks like a nice gun, pretty decent price. I agree it's getting hard to find small gauge Serlingworths under two grand. Congrats; hope you enjoy it!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:58 am  Reply with quote

I once saw a 20 Gauge 1915 Sterlingworth with Utica barrels and its original serial number. I assume these were installed as replacement barrels by Savage.

The Gunbroker gun will handle totally differently with the long barrels. McIntosh lists those #2's as 3# 14 ounces compared with, for example #3 28's at 3# 6 ounces. Since the 28 barrels don't ahve a weight marking, they are probably #3 or #4, and would result in a gun at 6-1/4 pounds or less. I think matching the barrel weights is important for 2 barrel sets. That is, if you want them to handle similarly.

It would be interesting to know the chamber lengths. The shorter barrels appear to have a Philly forend. The chambers may have been the original 2-1/2". The Savage barrels could even be marked as 2-3/4", although the pre-1934 Sterlingworths I have measured all had 2-1/2" chambers as well.

I hunt with two 16 gauge Sterlingworths...both have #3 barrels, one a Philly set up for grouse, and the other a Full Mod combo as it was from Savage, including Philadelphia style wood. Together they cost me <$3K, even after repairs. Mike