16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Four 16ga German side by's well under a grand each....
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:27 am  Reply with quote

I just bought a French 12 bore non-ejector ( an H. Huret) for my daughter's boyfriend (I know, it's a twelve, but it's what the kid wanted, and it's his money) from Thad Scott (www.thadscott.com). He was asking $775, he sold it to me for $650 including shipping, which seemed real fair to me.

I spoke to him a little, he is retiring, what's on his website plus one more shipment from Europe coming, and he's done..... he seems very willing to deal, there are health issues, and he wants to liquidate....

There are 2 Sauers, 1 Kummer (Merkel action), and a Simson, all sixteens, for well under a grand each, and I think he'll shave off more, as he just did for me 15 minutes ago.

I have bought a few guns from him, and he is easy to deal with. If there is something wrong, he'll pay the gunsmith bill, or take it back. If anybody is looking for a German gun, these look OK, but email him for more info, and he'll tell you, as he has done for me... he's not a nazi about the 3 day thing, just communicate with him if your smith is looking it over or whatnot.

The guns I have bought from him I have usually spruced up somewhat, like recut checkering, stock refinish, etc, but that's up to you, the main things (like bores, wall thicknesses, tight action on face, etc,) were all there, but be wise and have it looked over if you bite on anything..... like I said, he's wanting out, and will pay the gunsmith bill just as soon as (or sooner) than taking it back....I surmise, anyhow...

There is also a 200E Merkel for $1700 or so, as I recall, plus 2-3 higher end 16's that he may come down from for you well-heeled gents....

I didn't check his English guns for sixteens, but it might be worth a look also...

For what it's worth, be wise, be careful, but I smell deals.......

britgun.....

britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Oh heck, I just had to go look at the English stuff, too, he's got 3-4 sixteen bore non-ejectors for $1100-1300 range, and then he has a couple other spendier ones, too. These non-ejectors look priced well, pending everything checks out with them......there was one in particular, maybe a Boswell??

Believe me, I do not know this guy (except as his customer), he has no idea I'm posting this (unless he's a member or one of you tells him), I have nothing to gain from this, except if one of YOU finds a nice gun at a good price out of it....I would be very happy for you....

I write this only to quell ANY potential suspicions that I am in any way in cahoots with this feller, looking for kickbacks, anything fishy, etc......these simply look like pretty good prices TO ME, and thought I'd alert the group is all, I've been pleased with guns I've gotten from him, though like I've said, I needed to put some things (minor) right with them, and when it was faulty mechanically or something like that, he has paid for it.....

let me know if anything comes of this for anybody, these are some pretty realistic prices, in my opinion, for Continental and English 16ga game guns.....

warm regards,

Duncan Very Happy
Foursquare
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Dunc,
Now you've ruined it!

I was all set to clean him out at the last minute...... Wink

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:
Dunc,
Now you've ruined it!

I was all set to clean him out at the last minute...... Wink

Pete

go get' em Pete! Laughing
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a link to Thad's site. I have bought a couple of guns from him. I found him to be straight up. He doesn't answer questions you don't ask though.

http://www.thadscott.com/

I really like this Fred Williams:

http://www.thadscott.com/17765.html

It appears to be a high grade high condition gun for $2K. Has extractors. The stock would be all right as is for me or could be bent for what - $100?

I like the Anton Sodia O/U 16 gauge and also the Krieghoff 16 gauge two barrel set for $4495.

Mike

PS I am not on Thad's payroll either.

kosinar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Britgun shame on you. You got me in the trouble. I ended up buying
H. Clark & Sons 16ga shotgun from the gentleman. He shaved $125 off of the listed price and included shipping in the price. I am not sure about its collectors value but I am not concern about it since I bought it for hunting. It weighs only 5 3/4 lb according to description. I am anxious to lay my hands on it. I would appreciate your opinion about this gun since I do not have a clue about english shotguns between individual makers. Thanks in advance.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:29 am  Reply with quote

kosinar wrote:
Britgun shame on you. You got me in the trouble. I ended up buying
H. Clark & Sons 16ga shotgun from the gentleman. He shaved $125 off of the listed price and included shipping in the price. I am not sure about its collectors value but I am not concern about it since I bought it for hunting. It weighs only 5 3/4 lb according to description. I am anxious to lay my hands on it. I would appreciate your opinion about this gun since I do not have a clue about english shotguns between individual makers. Thanks in advance.

Dear Kosinar,

I hope you like it, it sounds like a real good deal. It will be VERY IMPORTANT for you to take it to somebody very familiar with this type of gun, and have them check it over very thoroughly for you, see if the action is tight, if the bores are free of pitting, and the barrel walls have ample metal in them... if any of these things are out of order, and you want to get them fixed and keep the gun anyhow because you like it, you must contact Mr Scott and ask him if he will pay for the repairs, as he has done for me..... so have a good gunsmith who knows English guns look it over, OK?

Good luck,

Duncan

kosinar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:50 am  Reply with quote

I did ask him about barrell pitting and about shootability of the gun. He stated that there is no pitting in the barrells and the gun is safe to shoot. I would like to believe that since there are 2 3/4" chambers on the gun. Theoretically steel on shotgun with 2 3/4" chambers should be good enough for save shooting of some mild target loads. That is if barrels are not pitted or corroded. Where these guns build to shoot shells with current pressure levels or were the shells of those days generating lower pressures? I reload so I can reload some lower pressure shells. I would appreciate advice on the subject. Unfortunatelly I do not know anyone if my area that is expert or at least suficiently knowlegable on the subject of English guns that I can take the gun for inspection. I am located in upstate South Carolina and work in Charlotte North Carolina. I will look for someone in Charlotte area for sure. I would appreciate any recommendation.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Kosinar: Check the thread on page 3 of this forum "English 16's, how to judge value, quality and price". Lots of good info. When you get the gun the proof marks will tell you what kind of loads you can shoot. Also, I believe most of the English gun makers serial numbers were catagoried in Nigel Browns 2 volume book "English Gunmakers". SBS470 who frequents here was kind enough to look up my serial number in his copy of the book and give me the year it was made. Perhaps he would do the same for you. A work of caution, however, there were so many English makers that I'm sure not all are listed. If you have questions with the proof marks after you get them post here what they say and there are people who can help you out.

Good luck!

Matt
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

kosinar wrote:
I did ask him about barrell pitting and about shootability of the gun. He stated that there is no pitting in the barrells and the gun is safe to shoot. I would like to believe that since there are 2 3/4" chambers on the gun. Theoretically steel on shotgun with 2 3/4" chambers should be good enough for save shooting of some mild target loads. That is if barrels are not pitted or corroded. Where these guns build to shoot shells with current pressure levels or were the shells of those days generating lower pressures? I reload so I can reload some lower pressure shells. I would appreciate advice on the subject. Unfortunatelly I do not know anyone if my area that is expert or at least suficiently knowlegable on the subject of English guns that I can take the gun for inspection. I am located in upstate South Carolina and work in Charlotte North Carolina. I will look for someone in Charlotte area for sure. I would appreciate any recommendation.

Kosinar,

I'm guessing that your new gun will have 2 1/2" chambers.....there are good sources of short shells around, and you can load them yourself. They are typically lower pressured and there are many fine reloading remedies available. Now I am going out on a limb here to tell you that there have been many tests done that point to the fact that shooting 2 3/4" lighter loads in 2 1/2" is fine......you better ask around, but I have been doing it for years, and I think the guy that did the tests was Gough Thomas, but he was doing it on 12 bore. 16 bore shells generate a bit more pressure, but I do it anyway and have never shot any of my guns loose or felt undue recoil. You can also have the chambers opened to 2 3/4", but this would take the gun "out of proof" (if it's even in proof to begin with, and that is something your expert will tell you, but personally, doesn't mean much to me, especially for a reasonably priced shooter such as what you have bought).

Personally, I'm an American, and we don't have proof laws, and if the wall thicknesses in the barrels are sufficient, and the bores haven't been honed (backbored) too much, and aren't too open, and the action is nice and tight and all is otherwise rosy, I personally don't care much about proof, and if it were mine, would not hesitate to lengthen the chambers.

Now a lot of my English shotgun customers DID care about proof, so I always had them in proof.....but for my own guns, I didn't give a rip, unless it was particularly expensive and having it out of proof would effect the desirability of it, and hence, the resale value.....

If I were you, I would go to the ammo and reloading forum and ask the question about chamber length, proof, prices of and supply of shorter shells (the European stuff is slightly longer than 2 1/2", and is metric, like 67mm usually.) 2 1/2 shells are 65mm, and 2 3/4 shells re 70mm..... so a lot of guys buy light Italian loads and shoot them in their 2 1/2" chambered 16's (guys like me, for example....in some guns, others I opened to 2 3/4" for my normal reloads and US factory loads....)..... and I also freely, frequently shoot light 2 3/4" reloads in my 2 1/2" and 2 5/8" (pre war European) shotguns.... But PLEASE....ask some of these other guys, weigh what you hear, and then make your own knowlegable decision based on your own comfort level..... ALSO, ask if anybody knows anybody in Charlotte who knows English guns....there has got to be somebody.....

warm regards,

Duncan (britgun)

kosinar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Britgun,

Thank you for your kind reply and good information.
xtimberman
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to this 'site and happened to see Thad's name in the initial post of this thread. I've known Thad for ~ 20 years and have bought, traded, and sold him guns. He's fair, honest, and a great fellow to know. His shop is located in my home state about 15 miles from my sister's home. I get to go by there every year or so and he lets me back in that walk-in gun vault of his. After a couple hours, your head wants to explode from detail overload!

I'm really sorry that he's winding down

xtm
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

....well, the 12ga French gun for the boyfriend (my daughter's boyfriend, wiseguy) came today and was flawless and beautiful and a really good deal....save for the sad fact that, although the gun was
in English proof (had been bought by Thad in England apparently), it had a minimum wall thickness of just 15 thousandths of an inch in a spot in the right barrel. I was very disappointed, doubt that Thad knew this, but I did opt to send it back. I shoot guns with minimum of 19-20 thou (naturally prefer more), but this was just too skinny.... bummer,

so.....please have your guns thoroughly inspected if you get them from Thad, or anybody else..... wall thickness is the thing that probably slips thru unoticed more than any other defect as we trade guns.....have it checked!!!

britgun