16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stevens 311D . . . please advise!
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 am  Reply with quote

I'm responding to an ad in the local paper. It is a 20ga 311D. Rated at 99% for $350. Of course, 16ga would be better . . .

Anyway, can anyone advise whether this is a decent ball park price if the gun truly is 99%?

Also curious if anyone has any commentary on the gun itself . . . granted its not a parker or winchester, but the price isn't either! I'm curisous if the D (meaning deluxe) just means the wood is checkered, or what.

Thanks,
NR
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

The "D" suffix is the production Run for a specific year spread. I can't remember which years the D's were, but they are later and usually have clunky stocks. It would have to be in real good condition for that price, but your neck of the woods may demand higher prices... probably would talk them down to 300 if in excellent shape or walk away.

here's linkk to a Shotgunworld page where I wrote a little on checking out these guns. The Steven's/savage sxs's dont vary much..

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=87986&highlight=

Best of luck.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

16'er is right; the D designation means a later gun. With Stevens guns, the earlier the better; later guns can be pretty clunky. Probably pressed checkering (if at all) and maybe poor wood to metal fit. That said, where else can you get a 20ga sxs for $350? I have three Stevens doubles from the 40's; been good guns. Go take a look, and if it speaks to you, buy it. Just my $.02.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Amen---I'm with fin....

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 12 ga. 311 in the H designation. It's big, heavy, clunky, ugly, andI just hit what I aim at with it. If it was 2 or 2 1/2 lbs. lighter it might see daylight more often.

20 ga. guns seem to demand a premium these days. If it's as clean as claimed, I'd say it's a fair price. BUT that doesn't excuse you from trying to get the best possible deal.

Good luck,

Peter

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
spyder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

FYI, I had a nearly perfect 311A 20ga which I believe is an early '50's gun. I bought and later sold it for $400 at gun shows (both transactions in 2006). I think the 311D's are comparable in looks and quality, but later models such as the H are a step down (no offense, Prussian Gun Guy), especially the ones with Tennite stocks.

I kind of wish I still had it. Sad
Jesse168
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

STEVENS DATE CODE
Double barrel shotguns were date coded between 1949 & 1970. This code can usually be found behind the hinge pin or ahead of the trigger guard on the bottom of the frame and is a small circle with a letter and a number in it.
The letters indicate the year of manufacture starting with "A" in 1949 and ending with "X" in 1970. The letters "O" & "Q" were not used.

Some say this code worked on their single shot shotguns as well, but this is not verified. It appears to have not been used on any other models.
A 1949 I 1957 S 1965
B 1950 J 1958 T 1966
C 1951 K 1959 U 1967
D 1952 L 1960 V 1968
E 1953 M1961 W 1969
F 1954 N 1962 X 1970
G 1955 P 1963
H 1956 R 1964

Hope this helps.

Jesse

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Jesse:

Same date codes for Savage (Fox Model B etc...)???? I see the same circles and dates codes on three Fox Model B guns that I have. System work the same?

Anybody else?

Dr. 16 Gauge
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Yes; same date codes for Savage.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
jim18611865
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

I believe they coded all their guns. I have two pumps that have the code as well as 5 SxS's, just don't mistake the mfg markings for the date code.
The date code is really small and contains a number and a letter!!!
The date code usually is found only once, where the mfg marks will be on all the various sub assemblies.
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Out of curosity I pulled out both my savage/stevens to check the dates with the above posting. My 311A 16ga is marked with an "I" in a circle... 1957 by the above chart. Ok guy i bought it from told me '64 if I rember right... anyway the next is my Fox model B, It's a twelver. It has two circled proof marks an"A" and a "H". I thought this gun was a sixies era as well.. Hmm. Question
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

16'er,

Jim, above, is right: there will be production marks on most major parts: action, barrel flats, forend iron, stock, forend. It'll be just a circled letter; all should be the same if the gun's original. That's probably what you're seeing.

What you're looking for is a small oval, sometimes a very faint stamp. It'll have a number (inspector's number) and a letter; that letter is the date code. And as usual with Savage, never say never (and never say always).

I have three Stevens 5100's which pre-date 1949; no date code (and they shouldn't have). I have a Savage 99 rifle that's late 40's, a Savage 775a (my Dad's gun) from the earliest 50's, and a Fox Model B c. 1960. All should have a date code (and might, somewhere) but damn*d if I've ever been able to find 'em Sad !

Fin

britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

My Stevens 311 says "Eastern Arms Company" on the side of the receiver, and underneath, has a circle with an 8 instead of a letter....any ideas? I have been told that this gun is a 311....fact or fancy?

b'gun

berg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:28 am  Reply with quote

Unless the Stevens workers were more careful than the guys over on the Savage line you may need a magnifying glass, and even then may not be able to read it (if there is is one). The code is often poorly struck, light, or with the stamp tilted so only partly visible making it difficult to tell apart letters with similar structure such as E, B, F, P, and some others. I have a couple of Savage 99s with the date code on them and they can be hard to read. On 99s the code is located on the front part of the lever hinge.
berg
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I'll look again, but it is clearly an "8" and not a letter.....it is struck very clearly, in front of hinge pin on bottom of receiver. Could it be anyplace else, like on the water table or something? There is a random "y" there, but large, like the size of the serial numbers, but off away from them, and there is no circle around it... can anybody confirm that an "Eastern Arms Co." gun is indeed a Stevens 311?

thanks,

b'gun