16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  French Gun
Tarkus
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I have a Verney-Carron 16 sxs that my father purchased in the early 1950's. In researching the date of manufacture I contacted Verney-Carron. They said that all records from 1980 and before were lost in a flood and could not be replicated. They also would not/could not give me a value range for the gun. I just know it's a pretty little gun that's nice to carry all day in the field and will knock the snot out of pheasants.
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I feel ya, Tarkus, my French 16 and the folding up of a rooster in flight is like peas and carrots..... what does your's actually weigh in at?

bgun

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Tarkus, I had a V-C years ago, contacted them and asked questions similar to yours. They actually sent me pages from the catalog showing my gun, although they couldn't tell me, by SN, exactly when it was made.

Steve Barnett has had a 12ga V-C sidelock on his list for a long time. It's probably worth that kind of money, if I had it lying around loose! That's the fanciest V-C I've ever seen, and I think the only sidelock.
Tarkus
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:03 am  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
I feel ya, Tarkus, my French 16 and the folding up of a rooster in flight is like peas and carrots..... what does your's actually weigh in at?

bgun

It ways about 6lb6oz. Barrels are 27 3/16" (69mm) choked IC and MOD with 2 3/4" chambers.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Tarkus wrote:
britgun wrote:

bgun

It ways about 6lb6oz. Barrels are 27 3/16" (69mm) choked IC and MOD with 2 3/4" chambers.

Thanks for the info, not much felt recoil there I don't suppose.... wasn't Tarkus the name of one of the Emerson Lake and Palmer albums in the mid-70's? Smile

warm regds,

b'gun

Tarkus
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
Tarkus wrote:
britgun wrote:

bgun

Thanks for the info, not much felt recoil there I don't suppose.... wasn't Tarkus the name of one of the Emerson Lake and Palmer albums in the mid-70's? Smile

warm regds,

b'gun

Uhhhh, yeah. I can shoot a few rounds of 5 stand with it but then the shoulder goes. Of course, when there's a rooster out in front I don't feel a thing.

Yes, Tarkus was(is) an album of ELP. The "armored-dillo" is Tarkus and is also what I named my bike after.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Tarkus wrote:
britgun wrote:
Tarkus wrote:
britgun wrote:

bgun

warm regds,

b'gun

Uhhhh, yeah. I can shoot a few rounds of 5 stand with it but then the shoulder goes. Of course, when there's a rooster out in front I don't feel a thing.

Yes, Tarkus was(is) an album of ELP. The "armored-dillo" is Tarkus and is also what I named my bike after.

cool, had forgotten that album until I saw your ID.....

ohmymy111
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far. I couldn't get logged in for a while, hence no response to those who had questions.

The gun I have has a 27 inch barrel, it is chambered atv 65mm. sn 3998 The serial numbers match on everything including the swivels for the sling. I don't have a real accurate way to measure the weight, but it comes in at about 5.5 pounds

The trigger guard has engraved on it the name Bartaud Chattonay, who I am guessing might have been the original owner?

Here are some pics.

Tres Bon 3, Excellent, Excellent 2, CACT
Fall Field Trials France 2006
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

gorgeous, looks so much like my 5 pounder "Helios" that it's scary.....

sweet, sweet gun, thanks for sharing...

b'gun