16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Benelli 16 Gauge Disappointment! Not Good!!
bird buster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Sad Called today and talked with Benelli customer service and they were not interested in the least. I know I had only a phone jock on the line but I could not even get to a marketing rep. I did send an email and their reply was no 16 gauges will be offered in the Benelli family. I did mention our website and the need for a 16 autoloader. Also I mentioned the Browning runs and that obviously Browning was not losing money producing 16 gauge guns on limited runs. Maybe we should bombard them with email requests. I can only hold out hope that Browning might make a commerative Sweet Sixteen that I can add with my Japan Sweet Sixteen.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I met a manager from Beretta a few weeks ago. I asked him about the possibility of Beretta producing 16ga. guns. His reply was ... Why? Then again, would they make it on a true 16 ga. frame? The 28 I looked at was made on a 20ga. frame. They might make a real 28 but I didn't see it.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
pumpgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

An ever increasing trend. The ones in charge are only after easy money. Sad
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
I met a manager from Beretta a few weeks ago. I asked him about the possibility of Beretta producing 16ga. guns. His reply was ... Why? Then again, would they make it on a true 16 ga. frame? The 28 I looked at was made on a 20ga. frame. They might make a real 28 but I didn't see it.

Actually, even if it was a 16ga on a 20ga frame, it STILL wouldn't be bad and much better than the Remington fiasco of putting the 16's on 12 gauge frames.

One thing though, if you still have that Beretta manager's card, you might want to point out to him the used prices on Beretta 16ga Silverhawks. When you can find them, they run way over 12 and 20 prices. The market is out there, 16 gauge guns have almost as high of a markup as 28 gauge guns and are becoming very difficult to find.

Not sure why Beretta and Benelli have a hard time seeing that, particularly since there has always been a 16ga market in Europe, more specifically Germany.

Ah well,

KB
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

The prices may be high now, but how many guns could the market absorb before the bottom dropped out of the price the market will support.

In a market with limited quantities of goods just one more buyer than seller really moves the price.

Jeff
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
The prices may be high now, but how many guns could the market absorb before the bottom dropped out of the price the market will support.

In a market with limited quantities of goods just one more buyer than seller really moves the price.

True enough, thats Econ 101.

However, my point is not solely dependent on price, but also that there is a substantial 16 gauge market that actively seeks the gauge, so much so that it has caused a premium in the market for 16 gauge guns of all makers to command higher prices than 12 and 20 gauges, and particularly for high quality makers such as Beretta. This view uses price as a function of demand rather than as you stated it as a function of supply.

I am not exactly sure where the point where price will come back down on the 16ga Silverhawks, but certainly Beretta could sell alot of them at similar prices to what they currently sell the 12 and 20's for new right now before saturating the market.

Certainly any of the top manufacturers that produce a small/or scaled frame 16 gauge automatic wouldn't have any competition for the market. The Remington 1100 (and 870) example is hardly indicative because of the inherent flaws of the gun due to weight and balance issues. Unfortunately, it may have scared off all of the top manufacturers for years to come, except possibly Browning, depending on how the BPS does. I really hope the BPS is a huge hit for them.

KB
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

You know, one of the biggest joys of the 16 right now is that when you find one, deals can be had. If we work at elevating the 16 ga. status, we eventually shoot ourselves in the foot.

I, for one like the fact that a I can get a vintage 16 ga. for 20-25% less than a comparable 20 ga. and a good 15% less than a 12 ga.I collect vintage pre WWI german guns, and these #'s seem pretty accurate by my research. Those of you who collect British or English guns may find different figures.

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
You know, one of the biggest joys of the 16 right now is that when you find one, deals can be had. If we work at elevating the 16 ga. status, we eventually shoot ourselves in the foot.

I, for one like the fact that a I can get a vintage 16 ga. for 20-25% less than a comparable 20 ga. and a good 15% less than a 12 ga.I collect vintage pre WWI german guns, and these #'s seem pretty accurate by my research. Those of you who collect British or English guns may find different figures.

It's about the exact opposite for American sxs, from what I can tell. The 16's seem to run about 20-25% higher than the 12's for sure and about comparable or even higher than the 20's. The only gauges that are consistantly higher are the 28 and .410 bore because of the scarcity of guns in those 2 gauges.

I did an statistical analysis of American classic sxs auction prices as reported in DoubleGunShop.com auction reports going back for a year last year when I got interested in this. I found that 16's were roughly 22% higher than 12's and 8% higher than 20's for the American classic sxs. I may get around to posting the excel spreadsheets sometime, but that would mean I would have to clean them up and label them and everything. Just been too lazy to do it after I finished the calculations.

Food for thought.

KB
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Really. Last summer, I went into a small gun shop about 1 hour north of my country house, and the seller had 3 Baker SXS's. I walked out of the store with the nicest of the three, and paid the lowest of the three prices.

The only problem... Dr. Wife was with me and immediately signed me up for addiction therapy.

The "Batavia Leader" 6 1/2 lb. 28' barrels, extractors, M/F, a true sidelock for $275.00. I haven't fired it yet. Maybe Dr. Wife is right?

Grousen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy said:
" Maybe Dr. Wife is right?"

Oh man, those words just sent a chill down my spine! Deiner hausfrau ist nicht richtig.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:26 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
Really. Last summer, I went into a small gun shop about 1 hour north of my country house, and the seller had 3 Baker SXS's. I walked out of the store with the nicest of the three, and paid the lowest of the three prices.

I am glad to hear that there are still some good deals out there. However, I didn't include Baker in my analysis (maybe I should have). I just had the big ones; i.e. Parker, Ithaca, Fox, L.C. Smith, Winchester, LeFever, Remington. Hmm, maybe I will clean it up and see if I can post it and let y'all argue over it.

KB
Robin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Is there a 16 gauge autoloader (other than the Browning/Remington) of any age on a true 16 or 20 gauge frame?
Mod 97
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

I've been biting my tongue, but now I'll toss in my $.02

Benelli is the exact opposite of my 16ga philosophy . . . Benelli is for the cool kids. The "look how much my gun costs" crowd. Bigger (3.5" 12ga), faster (inertia driven), better crowd. Black synthetic or camo synthetic. yay. Benelli is Johnnie come lately.

The 16ga on the other hand is classy, and timeless - like old double guns and model 12s with ribs and checkering.

I never did like benelli and I'm glad they don't like us (16ga) either!

NR
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Prussian Gun Guy"]You know, one of the biggest joys of the 16 right now is that when you find one, deals can be had. If we work at elevating the 16 ga. status, we eventually shoot ourselves in the foot.

PGG, how can more 16 ga guns elevate the price of the existing ones? As far as vintage gun, you are shopping in a finite market. What exists is all that ever will. however more choices would take the pressure off the market and price would either stabilize or drop back in line with the other gauges.

Further, I do not see the market becoming glutted with 16 ga. guns. What I see is the demise of the 20 ga as folks learn that a 6-1/2 pound 16 shoots more effectively than a 6-1/2 pound 20 and carries just as well. I think what we are seeing is a reluctance of the market to face the obvious music if demand for 16 ga guns continues to accelorate. So some manufactureres will continue to try and surpress this phenomenon. however,I think is is a ball that is both rolling, gaining speed and its too late to stop it. So they can either jump on board or be run over. I don't particularly care. Folks get pretty much what they deserve in a free market.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

On the vintage gun market, the more perspective buyers there are, the more the demand there is. When I purchased my last Sauer, a grade 8 16ga.ejector gun with 29 1/2" barrels, the seller said "it's a shame its not a 12 ga." He practically apologized for the gun being a 16.

The 20 ga. will continue to surpass the 16 among the masses, because the 20 is available in a 3" shell. Please don't argue with me on this next statement, but I think the 3" 20 ga. is the biggest hoax played upon the uninformed consumer in the longest time. Like I said everyone has an A-hole and an opinion. and this one is mine. I really don't want to spark a controversy on this subject. There, now I've gone off on a tangent.

Basically, back to my original point, as long as the 16 remains the underdog, I THINK (maybe "hope" is a better word) we as consumers can get a better deal. With regards to the more collectible pieces, 16's may be more rare, driving prices up. That I do understand.

That was what I meant by my prior post.