16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need advice on 16 ga citori (quick!)
Setterchaser
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Just got had a chat with my favorite gunstore and wonder of wonders they have a standard grade Citori 16 ga with 28" barrels. they want 1500 for it and while my gun running money is not at a high peak, I may spring for this little gun. What do you think? I especially want to hear from 16 ga Citori users on how you like yours. Question
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Setter - I personally do not own a Citori, but it is the most popular currently manufactured 16ga on this board. Those who own them love them, and Browning stands behind their products which is not necessarily a sure thing with other imports. Cannot speak for the price but if you can stomach Gunsamerica's "improved" website, check it out for a comparison.

Good luck in your quest - - Hc

Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Seems high last year Cabelas had a new one on sale for $1400 however the prices have gone up. I ended up guying a nice used one for $1000. Each time Browning makes a last time "special Run" of 16ga. there are some that don't sell and they can be had for a good price. Now if it was a feather weight I would say jump on it at that price. If 16ga. aren't popular in your area he will deal later on.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have a lightning feather with 28" bbls, paid 1300 for it about a year ago, it was almost NIB, completely immaculate and only slightly used.

I use it for clays, trap and bird hunting. Great all-around gun since I bought a whole set of extended chokes.

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

I like WW have the Feather version of the Citori in 16ga. Great gun. It was my always go to field gun until I discovered Merkel SxSs. Now the Feather is my clays and trap gun with an occasional walk in the fields.

Not sure about the $1500 for a standard Citori. Sounds like list price to me. I saw a Feather the other day for $1750 or there abouts. So the standard for $1500 isn't so great in my book.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

Setter: I have a standard grade Citori 16 ga., 26" barrels, factory as-issued, invector choke tubes. I really like the gun; have shot pheasants, ducks, sharptails and skeet with mine. It is noticeably lighter and quicker, for me, than the 12 ga. version ! Wood is standard, nothing particularly special, but I like the way it carries, points and handles. It was NIB and cost me $1,150 about 16 months ago.
I'd recommend it if you can buy it without it costing you a divorce....honestly, $1,500 does seem about $150 too high anyway...

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Its all too easy for us folks lucky enough to already own a 16 ga Citori or two, or three, to start reminissing about prices from yesteryear--and not really fair. We already own one. I confess. I was one of those folks until recently. However, I've begun to realize its not fair for me to laud what I paid for mine over new buyers. I'm not in their shoes.

All Citori models have gone up in price to the dealers. Trust me, they ain't going to sell it for a loss. Last year was then. This is now. If this is a new in box gun, $1500 is below average by about $100 or maybe even more. Used, its a little steep, unless it might have a few extras with it and its just new looking.

However, if you can put your hands on it, and you like how it looks and feels, $1500 is money well spent. You can't buy a better new O/U 16 in that immediate price range. Procrastination just might end up biting you in the keister when the market drys up and the sharpies begin scalping folks who waited too long for the dream bargain. You will probably be shocked in a few years just how much a clean used one will bring let alone NIB. So if you have the dough and it won't break the bank, what are you waiting for?
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Setter: There's a sucker born every minute, as PT Barnum used to say. Don't be one of them---Too much is too much ! Now if you really want it, can't live without it, etc. that's another story---but at my local dealer I just Friday afternoon saw a 20 ga. White Lightning,NIB, priced at $1,349 and a 12 ga. standard grade I (again, NIB) at the same price. Somewhere there is a new, or maybe better yet, a used but like new Citori 16 Grade I with your name on it that's priced reasonably. Bird season, in most locales, is ending/has ended. It may be a good time to check the Gun List, GunsAmerica, Cabela's, etc. to see what's out there. Retailers don't make any money until their merchandise is SOLD....

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Time to add boot to that deal with that price-----