16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Coyote 1, 16ga. 0
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Decided to head to a local conservation area to try and find a fox I had spotted rabbit hunting with my French Britt. I grabbed my Sweet Sixteen since it has a mod. choke and some #1 buckshot. I tried to not let my pup know I was going hunting but she figured it out, no way to sneak a gun past her. She started doing her were going hunting dance and I couldn't say no. Figured I let her run in another area I hadn't hunted in a while. I didn't think I'd get a shot at any bunnies with the mod. choke but found one suicidal bunny. I was walking in grass less then a foot high on a little game trail. A bunny popped up and headed straight down the trail. My pup was to my left and froze when I brought the gun up. I let him get about 30 yards out and fired as he got to heavy cover. Abbey found the bunny about 40 yards from where it was shot. I don't know how it went so far both back legs were broke. About a half mile away came to a pond and noticed some coyote scat and decided to try calling. I set up behind some brush by the pound with the woods about 30 yards away and grass in between. Got my pup to lay down next to me and gave a few calls. I blew this call all last year and never called in anything but crows, blue jays and a angry doe. So I was quite surprised when a coyote popped out of the woods about 60 yards a way. It came toward me for a few yards then turned around trotting for the woods. I aimed a little in front of him and fired and dirt and twigs went flying up just in front of him. He didn't stick around for a second attempt. I put Abbie on a lead and went to the woods to make sure it was a clean miss. I didn't have to worry about her chasing the coyote as soon as she got wind of the coyote she wanted no part of it and decided I could take the lead what can you expect she's French. No blood or fur so after a look around closely followed by my nervous britt I headed back to the SUV. She got her courage back and chased a bunny and even found a covey 2 weeks to late. I put her in the crate and drove to the area I had seen the fox but he must not of been in the mood for bunny. I need to find a better load then the #1 buck but that's all I could find in 16ga. #4 buck would of been ideal.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

wonderful adventure, I am after the coyotes too, and a guy on this site gave me a recipe for T shot (a bit smaller than No. 1 Buck) good out to 85 yds plus according to him...., if you're interested, PM me and it's yours.... actually, I think it's posted on the reloading thread, as he gave it to me this month, do you reload, i guess is the first question.... thanks for sharing your adventure....it's fun, callin in them dawgs....

budrichard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:53 am  Reply with quote

HeviShot doesn't call it's 12 gauge 3" T load 'Dead Coyote' for nothing! We use them goose hunting for pass shooting. I wouldn't hesitate to shot a coyote at 80 yds with one.
But if after coyote with the 16 gauge, unless a point blank shot, I would suggest a more substantial shot and possibly gauge for coyote. The coyotes have eaten all the rabbits around us!-Dick
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

I have been going after them with a .223 for a year, but two areas I hunt are shotgun only and 16ga. is as big as I've got in a shotgun. I had been hoping to get one in closer but you know how that goes. I figured #4 buck with a tight pattern would be good out to 40-45 yards. I knew I was stretching that shot but darn it took me forever to finally call one in. I started predator hunting to thin out the coyotes in my favorite hunting areas and to extend my hunting season. In Missouri coyotes are open almost year round. The strangest thing happened so far was calling in the Ozark's late last spring and got charged by a very pissed off doe. She must have had a fawn near by, I decided to give up calling and went fishing instead.