16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  B & P 16 gauge Shells
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the 1 1/16 ounce loads offered by B & P?
I have been shooting 1 ounce Fed/Rem/Win promotional loads and have been unimpressed. Are these truly a premium shell worth the few extra $$$

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Hal: Based on lots of positive press, I bought a case (8 boxes) of 5s for my Sterly but decided they were a bit stout for my LC and sold them to Dave M-he should be along soon.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:57 am  Reply with quote

Hal, I have no experience with these loads. I have not shot them yet.
I sold my heavy DHE Parker, to help pay for my 28 gauge. Laughing
So, the only fluid steel barrel gun I have now is a 0 frame 16 Parker. These shells may just kick the snot out of me in this 6 lb. 5 oz. gun. Geez, that means I have to buy another gun, just to shoot those shells in. Wink
Hal if you want a box to try, I'll send you one.

Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Hal, I used to shoot both 20 ga and 16 gauge #7 shot. I thought they were great shells in that shot size for Chuckars. I used to order them when the distributor was in Texas. Now the distributor is in Illinois and they will not ship them to me because I live in the same state. If you live in Illinois, they can only ship to an FFL. I'm hoping to pick some up if they are selling shells at the NRA cinvention in St Louis. I think they are great shells.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:48 am  Reply with quote

I was going to attempt the promotional use of these shells at my Sweet 16 Festival this August. perhaps including these shells as part of the entry. Perhaps they will prove too 'stout' for clays?

bigkev
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:18 am  Reply with quote

I have a couple of flats in 7s and 6s. They are a very good shell, but very hot. We chronoed them at close to 1375, 1 foot from the muzzle. They will reach out and kill birds dead though. I love the load, but think that they are a bit hot, even though I am not recoil sensitive.
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

I too have used the B&P loads--the 7's and the 10's--- and found them, as others have reported, to be pretty hot. The shot appears to be polished and the performance was good but in a light gun they'll move both your eyes to the one side of your nose.
Wads are available to reload if you're so amind.
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hal, I forgot to mention they are stout for a light gun. You will probably notice it shooting a lot of shells but not so for hunting. I also shot some #6's for hunting. The guy who used to sell them in Texas would allow you to mix gauges and shot sizes. I ordered a mixed case of 20's and 16's in #6 and #7 shot. That was a nice feature with the old destributor. The new distributors will not mix a case. You will have to order a whole case of the same gauge and size.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't used them in my 16 but used B&P High Pheasants last week in my Jeffrey 2.5" 12. They list at 1280 fps and although the gun weighs 6.5lbs, the recoil in their 12 loading isn't bad at all. You might want to try Charlie at Hill Rod and Gun for mixed cases. He sells 2 5/8" loadings.

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/ammunition.php

Hc

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:59 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. Appears they are a premium game load--but perhaps too much for a game gun clay event. Perhaps they would serve better as door prizes for hunting trips!

pbalser
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have to agree - as a game load they are fantastic, but they are too hot for clays. I shoot the brand in 12 for clays, and they are about the best I've ever used. they are also willing to deliver to my place in the country, and UPS leaves 5-6 flats on my back porch - pretty cool.
JonP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot these 16 guage loads for several years now. I buy 5's and 7's and use them everywhere from ND pheasants to NY grouse. They are effective out to 45 yds and I killed more than a few sharpies that jumped at distance this year. I like them-low noise-light recoil and for a short shell, very reasonable. The only thing I've noticed is some inconsistency in the shell circumference-some of them chamber tighter than others.
dpandorf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

This is my first post to the 16 ga. site. I'm new to shotgunning and the B&P brand was the first I shot through my new Browning White Lightning 16 gauge. I don't live in an area where I can readily find 16 gauge shells and ordered a flat of 8 shot for practicing at clays.

I have also shot the high brass Fiocchi and Estate Upland Hunting load. In my very limited experience I have found the B&P to have less recoil than the Fiocchi and about the same as the Estate shells.

I'm about to order a flat of 6 shot and 7 shot B&Ps since they are offering free ground shipping plus I don't pay any sales tax either.

Out of the 4 boxes of 8 shot of the B&Ps I have shot I have had one shell that failed to fire. Hopefully this was just a fluke.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:41 am  Reply with quote

Hal,

I have been shooting B and P No. 5's 1 1/16 (is the designation F2? I think?) for several years now on pheasants..... they are fabulous for me. I don't know what sort of pressures they are serving up, don't feel too stout to me, but they really work well in knocking down those roosters.... they are a really good load and they pattern really well in my shotgun and I have great confidence in them, which psychologocally makes me a better shooter with them, I'm sure. I take shots that I wouldn't take with unproven loads, and make many of them.....for late season huns, I have used the No. 6's with OK results, but there's something about those 5's (it's probably all between my ears, anyhow)....

Duncan

sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:50 am  Reply with quote

no comment on the shells mentioned but

Duncan - I've found a load that just plain old works way better than any other shell in my 16-4 gauge rem 1100 - I think, from what I've read about patterning etc., that some loads compliment certain chokes better than others...don't ask me to back it up with facts, I've just noticed the results first hand and by other verbal accounts...

your mileage may vary.