16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My first 16 ga, Williamson & Son questions
Northern Bob
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

I just picked this up last weekend. Its my first 16 ga. The maker is Williamson & Son of Ludlow, England. I've checked the Internet Gun Club's database but the dates seem a bit off. According to the DB the name was changed to T. Williamson & Son around 1868. This gun has fluid steel barrels and the left barrel is marked "choke". It has the Birmingham provisional and definitive black powder proof marks as well as the Birmingham view marks. The 16 over C in a diamond on both barrels and a 17 on one barrel and an 18 on the other. The action locks up extremely tight and the bores are very good with a small patch of roughness in each about 2/3 of the way to the muzzle. The trigger gaurd is a little bent and a hammer screw has been replaced. I haven't had a chance to weigh it but it feels under 6 pounds. I bought some 2 1/2" Gamebores but I see from a post on this site the pressure for these is 8122 psi. That was more than I expected, but I think these are the only low pressure shells available in Canada. I bought them for the hulls to reload low pressure shells as well as to shoot. Are these to much shell for this gun? I realize its only proofed for black powder, but the barrels are fairly stout. Sorry for the poor pictures. Thank you for any comments, good or bad.

xtimberman
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Bob,

That's my kinda gun! Thanks for posting.

Report back after you've shot it some.

xtm
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking gun.
Your description of the marks would point to a date from 1887-96.
The 16 over C indicates a 16 ga chamber, the 17 is a nominal bore size of .649, the 18 @ .637, both measured 9" from the breech.

I would suggest keeping loads at or below the 6500 psi level.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Northern Bob
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Under 6500 psi, or less if I can find a nice load, sounds good for this one. I don't need alot of speed or power for what I want to use it for. I'll join the low pressure group and pick up a 16 gauge reloader. Its too bad there are so many good low pressure factory rounds sold in the U.S. that aren't available in Canada.