16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I keep getting into trouble.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Oops, I did it again. I went preserve shooting with my friend this past weekend. My friend brought along his 6 year old son, Anthony. Dad even took along a little .410 for Anthony to shoot at balloons. after the balloons, Anthony wanted a bird for dinner. I was surprised, because up 'til then he was naming the birds. You should have seen the look on his face when he fired and that big rooster folded and dropped 40 yards away. We didn't tell him he had a little help hrom the left barrel of my 16 ga. Sauer.

First oops... Anthony was so proud of his bird, he wanted to bring it home to mother. feathers and all. Now, some mothers have no problem with this type of behavior. Anthony's mother had big problems.

Second oops. Young Anthony tells his entire class this morning that he went hunting. Anthony attends schooling in New York City. The teacher is definitely NOT a hunting enthusiast. Mother gets a phone call, and has to go to school, and answer some questions. I had to go along, and let me tell you this... it wasn't pretty. They were talking "child welfare" issues, and I had to keep my opinions to myself. In the end, they decided to not investigate, and I cracked my dashboard with my fist on the way home.

By the way, Mother, is also my sister. Dad isn't in nearly as much trouble as me, and Anthony won't see his uncle until his 21st birthday. And, it wasn't even my .410!!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

There you go, turning some sweet little kid into a savage. You oughta be ashamed! Very Happy

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hey PGG:

I admire and respect your decision to keep quiet.

I grew up on a farm near Amarillo and shooting rabbits, pheasant, quail, ducks and geese were daily occurences almost. We raised and slaughtered chickens. The first part of the story doesn't seem odd to me at all. The part where Mom is in trouble at school for what her boy reported to the class is very alien to me.

Once when I was visiting my Mom on the family farm in 1988, my 6 year old son killed a cotton tail (BB gun) while I watched the football game. We took it home, cleaned it, and his mom fried it up. He took one of the feet to "show and tell" at school the next day along with a polaroid showing the typical pose of hunter, gun and trophy.

What a difference in cultures!

Best!

Mike

jim18611865
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

BIG OOOPS!
Seriously though those NYC types will brainwash this poor kid into thinking he and you did something seriously wrong. But this probably violates the rule on no politics, so I will end this thought here.
I'm sure he had the time of his life though, otherwise he wouldn't have told all his friends.
Now go do some sucking up to your sister.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

Naw, the referance to 16ga sauer made everything OK. PGG you showed great restraint. It would have been the teacher, and not the dash I was punching

Mod 97
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Did I miss something?! Why are you in so much trouble, but Dad isn't?!

Guess your story is somewhat of a reality check - makes me glad I live in the midwest with real folks who don't flip out about hunting . . . or at least, the folks I come in contact with don't! Hope it doesn't change.

NR
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

I had a teacher raise the issue and said if nothing else that my son should not talk about it at school. I said why not, it's lawful and natural. She dodged pretty well and said it was because the other kids "just might not understand".

So I said that's a shame to not understand where their 3 meals a day come from, so I offered to teach the class about how someone kills all the animals they eat. And for the vegetarians we kill all the animals, even the ones that are not good to eat, to make room for crops so they can eat veggies. I offered to bring pictures I'd shot in the big meat packing plants I've been through in as part of my job.

She declined.

Drat.

Jeff
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Why am I in trouble and Dad isn't??? Well, lets see.
Dad's idea to take junior. (The only way he can get away these days).
Dad's .410.
Dad drove.
Dad picked the preserve.

All I did was come along.

But, I go away every weekend with Dads cousin, a single guy. dad hasn't gotten away in years. Anthony has twin sisters (a reason in itself for dad to go prematurely grey).

You can see now why its all my fault.

As far as a reality check... Its amazing how different things are 120 miles north of the city. But where else can you get a pizza at 3:00 in the morning?Who cares. I'm asleep.

TJC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

PGG,

Don't take this wrong but I think the only mistake you made was keeping quiet. I may not have said anything while the Mom and son were there but that teacher needs to be addressed.
Keeping quiet for good is condoning her/his actions in this matter. I don't know how you feel but nobody is going to push their beliefs on me, especially anti hunting.
I would make an appointment to meet with that teacher and the Principal and make my views known, in an organized and proper way.

To keep quiet is just WRONG.

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

PGG,

Don't take this wrong but I think the only mistake you made was keeping quiet. I may not have said anything while the Mom and son were there but that teacher needs to be addressed.
Keeping quiet for good is condoning her/his actions in this matter. I don't know how you feel but nobody is going to push their beliefs on me, especially anti hunting.
I would make an appointment to meet with that teacher and the Principal and make my views known, in an organized and proper way.

To keep quiet is just WRONG.

You know, I am not normally one to back down from a fight. Neither is my sister. But, this sitdown really scared all of us. Maybe we over-reacted to our fears. I don't know. Right now, i will shut up.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

D$mn! A little different than driving into Gunnison, Colorado or western Kansas during hunting season where signs are displayed saying "WELCOME HUNTERS". Where do these NYC folk think their food comes from - - grocery stores! Laughing

RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have a client who is an old-time rancher in rural Dallas. As a fun activity for the local kids, he hosted an annual invite to have them out from a local school on a field trip to see a working ranch, feed the horses, cows, and fish in the pond. One particular steer that he had was rather rough and loved to chase people and work them over if you weren't cautious around it. On the afternoon of one of these events after the kids had left, he was working in the field and that particular steer had run him into the fence and tore him up pretty good for the last time. He walked over to the truck, pulled out his ranch rifle, and shot it in the head. He hooked on to it, pulled it to the house with the truck, and started to dress it out with one of his ranch hands. About 20 minutes into the "cleaning" a local sherrif pulled up the road to his house. Apparently one of the kids that were at his ranch that day had been walking up the road while walking home from school and witnessed the "shooting" near the fence of the properaty and was described as being "Traumatized" by the kids parents. It took several thousand dollars in legal fees and a near arrest before things were cleared up. The ranch days were cancelled at his property forever. Had he known the kid was there, he wouldn't have killed it in front of him. Although the kid was basically tresspassing he still almost got into serious trouble for exposing a kid to extreme violence. 50 years ago, the kids would have been involved in the whole operation as helpers. Its amazing how things change. That kid probably went home and played video games more violent than what he saw.

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting