16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  FS: 1930 26" Sterlingworth
jig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Fantastic mechanical condition. Top lever well to the right with some case color left on the top tang, underside and inside. Bores are in dire need of a re-rust blue you will need to have done ASAP. No buggered screws, wood is used, but has no cracks etc. Finish is decent to good for a 1930 gun.
Choked IC/F. LOP is 14.5 DAH I think is 2 3/4 but will verify tonight later.
Dogfox
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:03 am  Reply with quote

This gun sounds very good indeed. Price is good too. I'm sure you'll have little trouble selling it.

Last edited by Dogfox on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Look, if you want to buy the gun and have questions about it (the gun) thats one thing.
But, don't get personal about quoting something I said about guns etc.
I reserve the right to make any decisions about ANY gun I see fit and don't feel compelled to justify it to anyone.

This gun is going to be a fantastic deal to anyone that wants what it has to offer. I posted it here first to allow this (mostly) friendly community I have had the priviledge to hang out with the first opportunity to buy it. It isnt posted anywhere else. I know there are folks here that love the Fox Sterlingworth, I however have decided I'm not one of them.

And even if I was, does it matter? The only thing that should matter is that the gun is for sale, otherwise I would have posted on a different thread to illicite opinions as to something else. With the tone you have set with your questions I would feel more than reticent to make a deal with you as you are complaining already and sound like a disgruntled buyer before you even have the gun. Therefore, I wouldnt sell you the gun for any amount of money. I will sell it to folks who start the process with friendly jargon with true intents as to make a mutually satisying deal.Or, maybe you don't really want to buy the gun at all, but are just trolling to excite and/or piss me off. Well, looks like you were successfull - hope you are happy.
jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Here's a pic of top lever:
Parkerman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Jig do you have any side shots of the receiver, looks as if there is quite abit of case color on the tang and from what I can see the barrels don't look that bad or is the blueing worn off further up the barrels. Thanks Eric
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Parkerman,
What brings you over this here way? Did you buy a 16 gauge I don't know about? I could use your help. The L.C. Smith guys are trying to take over this site. Wink

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, the Sixteen Gauge Sterly Society probably trumps both of us (you Parker Putz) but we're gaining on em' Very Happy At least Parkerman is demonstrating some good taste and discernment Wink

Parkerman
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Dave I lurk over here too and no I haven't bought anymore 16's, keep hoping to find a 16 ga barrel (O frame) for my A grade since that is what it came with from the factory.

I always like to look at nice doubles and this Fox fits that catagory. Eric
jig
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Gun is no longer for sale.
Thanks for inquiries.

Jig
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

This is not the first time a fellow has posted a gun and felt picked apart for doing so. I realize we are all enthusiastic gun lovers of at least one type of shotgun. However, I think there is a venue for it under Guns. I've been just as guilty as anyone for highjacking a thread now and then. However, I try not to do it under the guns for sale venue, unless there has been a problem with the vendor in the past that we all might like to know about before venturing into a deal.

In this case, it would seem someone asked some pointed questions or inferrals that might have been better done as a PM or not done at all--in spite of the fact that this gun seems like it is a fairly good deal from what I can see although I'm no expert on foxes. However, perhaps there is a Fox fan out there amongst us who would have liked to know about it and have a shot at buying it. That is a shame.

Jig, this same thing happened to me a few monthes back. I'm sorry it happened to you. Perhaps you might reconcider and offer it again here as well as on other sites. Then perhaps we might all take a lesson and improve our manners a bit for the good of the community. What say you gentlemen?
jig
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for that 16GG - but the post from Dogfox which he graciously edited, wasnt the reason I took it off the market. I wouldnt ever allow someone to bully me in that way -or alter my course. Especially when I know 99.9% of the folks on this site are solid people. Cool

I reconsidered becasue I really don't need the money and the gun can just sit and rot in my gun case until its time to retire. By then it will have come back from it reblue and thorough claenaing and dissassembly. Hell, by then maybe I will have enough knowledge to do it myself. Idea

The gun is like having a savings bond tucked away in a corner.
In 20 years, if the earth and me are still around, I will cash this thing in for 20 grand Laughing

The again, maybe someone will step forth that really likes Foxes and offer to make me a trade for something I really like, like a superposed in any guage, a superlite etc. Hell, I'd even consider trading it for a nice stack barrel Rizzini/sig/FAIR etc. Surely someone has a surplus of middle of the road O/U's laying around the house collecting dust Wink
Hell, someday if I hold onto the fox long enough I may even prove to the wife that my gun habit turned into a good thing Shocked

I will close by stating to all that you can consider the Sterlingworth in the status of "trade bait" whjere any offer will be entertained - bring em on. Surely one of you gun nuts have something you'd part with in an effort to out fox my fox.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, then I feel better too. I'm happy if your happy.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

well boys, I bought jig's Sterly...it came today and it is SWEET...just shy of 6 pounds, he described it to a tee, right down to the abysmal skin desease the barrels picked up somewhere along the line in it's 77 year old life.... but the wood finish is original and pretty good, and the thing handles fast and light.....can't wait to shoot it.....it is as close as I THINK I can get to a real light 16 in the USA....someone correct me, steer me towards lighter lightness if this ain't it.....

bottom line:

it was the most pleasant, fair, smooth gun deal I've ever had the pleasure of being involved in....as a buyer, that is, and ol' jig is a class act and a first rate good guy....

plans: reblue asap, bend stock a little to the right, the up and down is perfect....need a little length, must do some sort of pad.... then....voila, good to go......oh yes, gotta open those chokes a tad, ESPECIALLY full left tube...... (factory IC/FULL) 1930 Fox, 1st year of Savage production, wanted the Savage because it's not as dainty and finicky as the Philly, I can shoot mostly whatever I want in there 'cause they beefed it up a tad to accept modern (like Super X) hotter stuff, yeee haaaaa....

very pleased with this light, tight, right little sixteen..... thanks for reconsidering jig!!

Duncan

jig
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

The pleasure was likewise. I guess you (we) can be thankfull that a class act stepped forward to buy this gun. No other type would desrve it. I was prepared to make a fair deal with a person of integrity and good intent. Fortunately, someone that fit that description stepped forward.

Thats the kind of person that finds good deals, or they find them.
For thems that arent men of depth and integrity, consider this a lesson as Karma steps up and punches you in the stomach.

Thanks Britgun
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:59 am  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:

I can shoot mostly whatever I want in there 'cause they beefed it up a tad to accept modern (like Super X) hotter stuff, yeee haaaaa..
Duncan

Just remember, you still have 77year old wood on that 'ole gal. Many a stocks have been cracked "shooting mostly whatevere someone wanted" in these guns. Wink

I have an older Sterly in excellent shape and I wouldn't consider the hotter Super X etc loads. Strictly lower pressure stuff in mine.

Tom