16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  North East 16 shoot
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

I am sure we can set up lodging nearby.
Silvers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

For the gent who wants to reserve the club (any club) just for the 16 gauge guys, how are you going to guarantee X people to make it worthwhile to the club? That is usually a problem with affairs like this. Lots of people say they are coming but many dwindle off when you ask for a deposit or the time gets short. IMO, it's better to try to gather at an event that is already scheduled. Also, spring turkey season is weeks long in most eastern states. Surely our members are not planning to hunt every single day of their season. If we wait for later in the year we're going to run into conflicts with bass season, baseball games, family vacations, etc. There is never a good time for everyone.

There are plenty of lodging places nearby. Check out the activities link. Silvers

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

Well I think we just get a head count and see how many would come. If 20 -25 show up at a planned event that should be enough.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

What about addivelle, in Ri? they do a really nice deal

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

I don't want to "push" my preserve on anyone, but they don't usually open for sporting clays. They could easily accomodate a small or large group anytime.

The place is Lido's in hillsdale, N.Y.about 2 hours noeth of NYc. 1/2 hour west of Great Barrington, Mass. 1 hour south of Albany. Lido has 6000 acres. In May, only turkey hunting and field trialing going on.

Just note, Lido runs a no frills camp. As his sign reads... "This ain't the Waldorf astoria". But, with 6K acres, the fields always look "wild".

Whereever you decide, schedule permitting, I'm in.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

They taking members, or is it a public place?
I'd like to try there, more than Pa, which would be a long a*s ride for th kid from liberal land

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

They have memberships and offer "walk on" public hunts. The public stuff is still better than anywhere else I've been to.

I'll be there Saturday afternoon... three guns, 20 Chukar, $320.00. They don't release the birds until the day of the hunt. And, you can watch (and count) if you wish.

If you're a member, they have accomodations, and members get to Deer hunt there. Over the past few years, they took out between 200 and 500 deer per season. They don't offer sporting clays, but you can come up off season with your own thrower and play, no charge. (members only).

Dogfox
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

I don't want to get anyone's dander up but we all can take a lesson on organising things from the boys on the Parker site. Last fall a group of them maybe 20 got together for partridge hunting in Michigan. Very few of them knew each other but they were able to room together in a cabin, cook meals, clean up, and have a grand time besides. yep some of them couldn't make it because of conflicting hunting seasons and plans at home, but those that could make it did, and them that couldn't, didn't. I have followed this site for a while now and there are a few men here who seem to make most of the postings in the hundreds. Maybe one of them can take the lead, pick out a place, set up the dates for a shooting weekend, and get a head count of who will be there. Otherwise nothing is going to happen besides wishful thinking.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

We did a shoot at Addiville last spring from a couple of the other sites. Had 25 guys show up, good time. I'm guessing we can manage to make this happen.

PGG send me a email with some details. I'd be intrested in a membership. And I think your club sounds like it might be the place for our little get together .
Ya'll want to email me , we'll pick 2-3 sites get a feling for where most of the respondents are from and pick a site. then dates.

Lets make this happen

TJC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

PGG,
That sounds good but the time we are talking about will be outside the hunting time I believe. So I think we are looking at a clays get together or something along those lines.
That's why I asked the question above.

Huns had a good little get together for hunting this year at the place he visits as well I believe a good get together last year for a clays/trap type shoot. Right Huns?

We need to figure out exactly what we are going to be looking to do and establish what it is that these different clubs offer. No sense in going to a hunting club in May/June when you can't hunt anything. On the other hand if we are talking later in the fall I'd rather hunt and shoot than shoot clays. But that is just me.

sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:36 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
We did a shoot at Addiville last spring from a couple of the other sites. Had 25 guys show up, good time. I'm guessing we can manage to make this happen.

PGG send me a email with some details. I'd be intrested in a membership. And I think your club sounds like it might be the place for our little get together .
Ya'll want to email me , we'll pick 2-3 sites get a feling for where most of the respondents are from and pick a site. then dates.

Lets make this happen

this is close to the original intent - if the PA & NY guys have a different get together - great!

The point is to get together, have a shoot of some sort and enjoy the day. If logistics demand 2 or more shoots, so be it.

Majority rules and all that. depending on date and destination, I'll try to be there.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Lido is in the Berkshires, in Hillsdale NY. His phone # is 1.518 329.1551. Call during the week after 12:00 noon, before 3:00. (Weekends are too busy). Ask for Francine. Mention my name if you want. Or don't.

From April 1st til it gets too warm, Lido runs field trials. To me, a Lido style field trial is just a hunt with a different name. (They plant Chukar, you hunt with your own dog or a guide and dog).

Or, you could bring your own Clay throwers and make your own clays course.

Good luck putting this together,

Peter Weber

Where ever you guys decide to go, if I can, I'll be there. I'll bring my 12 ga. (only joking)

hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 am  Reply with quote

the clays get together was pulled from the shooting sportsman site, the upland journel , the parker collectors and a couple of guys from here. It was a good time. a round of s/c then a whole load of 5 stand, trying everyones stuff out. this year they are offering a driven style clays shoot. they did it a couple of times last year and had great reviews.
they also had grills and covered picnic tables. It's just out side Providence, so let me know.
Hudsons in jersey has a awesome facilities as well. S/c, zz birds , and some other games that I don't remember
thats about 2 hrs west of NY city and 4.5 south of boston.
PGG I'll call out there today, thanks

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Jersey would be a good central local.TJC you shoot over at Lehigh valley once in a while don't you? Let me know when your headed over again I think I owe you a round for some hulls.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Jim mentioned this place in an earlier post:

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/1342

Mid Hudson Sporting Clays.

I have no idea what's there but it gets pretty good reviews on the clay targets site. No bird hunting but like TJ said, we may be too late to hunt anyway. This place is sort of central to the region. Northern NJ doesn't really have any good public sporting clay courses, except Hudson Farm which is outrageous and not really "public." The only other place I can think of but is not really central to the region is Pocono Manor. That's a bit far for the eastern guys in the NE.

Anyone been to Orvis Sandanona? Would that be a stretch on $$? I've never been there but I'd like an excuse to go one of these days!