16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Texas 16 Ga event - proposed NOW SCHEDULED for 21-22 Apri
txshootist
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

I live in Richardson, so Elm Fork works for me.

Marc

Last edited by txshootist on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

The votes favor Elm Fork in the Dallas Area.

OK, That's the location

The date is April 21-22

Do we have a volunteer to go by there and see what can be arranged for somewhere between 4 and 15 shooters of the 16 ga on those dates?

It's a little far for me, i'm tied up the next 2 weeks going in the opposite direction from that area.

Any volunteers??

Thanks

rayb

wingshooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

It's only 20 minutes from my house, so I would be happy to do it. What questions (besides availability and group discount if any) do you want answers to?

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

For those who've never been there, a very basic description on how to get there.

Do they stock 16 ga ammunition?

Any place to eat at the range? or nearby? A post shoot beer & burger?

Spouse activities for non shooter wives (or husbands, as the case may be?) that might make the trip?

How shall we identify ourselves to each other as members of the one true shooting gauge?

That's all I can think of now. Anyone else? Surely someone is thinking more clearly than i.
rayb

txshootist
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:49 am  Reply with quote

wingshooter wrote:
It's only 20 minutes from my house, so I would be happy to do it. What questions (besides availability and group discount if any) do you want answers to?

Mike

Wingshooter,

I'm in Richardson and could lend assistance. I am new to clays and the shooting environment (30 years ago last shoot), however I make a pretty good assistant. I have the two days off and am prepared to make it a go.

Marc

Last edited by txshootist on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Ray-

That was a very helpful elucidation of items to address. I shall post the answers shortly.

Shootist, I shall try to get hold of you tomorrow (Monday)

Hopefully this link to google maps will work. I don't know of a restauant on site (there may be a cafeteria in a separate building, but there are good eateries not far away). Here's the link, let me know if it works.

Mike

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Elm%20Fork%20shooting%20range%20dallas&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

The range has areas to BBQ, covered I believe, and if my local 16 ers could help, it would be great to have Texas BBQ after the shoot. IMHO, a whole lot more fun than a restaraunt. Might also see if we can have plenty of ammo on hand.

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

This is going great! If anybody would like to ride down with me I would like the company. I dont' care if it is out of the way some.

Best,

Mike

wingshooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Talked to Jeanie at Elm Fork briefly today. She was going to check the dates and see if we could carve out a corner of the covered area. If so, we can bbq there, and I can set up a sign identifying the gathering spot for the "gentleman's gauge." She had been dealing with her mother in the hospital, and did not have her calendar with her. I doubt if it will be any issue for us to shoot as a group, only what events are already planned and if we will be able to use the other facilities. I will be shooting there Saturday, and will try to touch base with her in person.

Many activities for spouses and non-shooters are within 30 to 45 minutes of Elm Fork. The Kimbell Art Museum and Botanical gardens (don't forget the great zoo) in Ft. Worth, the Galleria shopping center in Dallas, Bass Pro, Cabela's and more.

Will keep you, uh, "posted."
Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
wingshooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Left a message with Jeanie at Elm Fork, as she had not got back in touch with me after our short conversation a couple three days ago. Looks like the cost will be around 39.00 to 40.00 with tax for a hundred birds, plus a couple free "show me" targets to your squad.

TXShootist and I think it would be great to BBQ on site, and we would get all the fixin's together and do it all up, with a suggested reimbursement amount to those who purchase everything, that amount to be determined. Should be cheaper than a restaurant, and a lot more fun. While it is a given that no guns and alcohol would mix, I do not know if Elm Fork allows alcohol on the premises. I will find out, for those that have to have a beer with their burger.

Shootist is working on links to hotels/motels in the area for those of you desirous of such accomodations. A new member to our society in the Arlington area has also offered his help, with a new 16 sxs to try out.

I need to see a show of hands for serious participants, so I can give Jeanie an idea of the size of our group.

That's today's update. Again, I will be at Elm Fork Saturday, and will get some photos and hopefully some answers.

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

wingshooter wrote:
Left a message with Jeanie at Elm Fork, as she had not got back in touch with me after our short conversation a couple three days ago. Looks like the cost will be around 39.00 to 40.00 with tax for a hundred birds, plus a couple free "show me" targets to your squad.

TXShootist and I think it would be great to BBQ on site, and we would get all the fixin's together and do it all up, with a suggested reimbursement amount to those who purchase everything, that amount to be determined. Should be cheaper than a restaurant, and a lot more fun. While it is a given that no guns and alcohol would mix, I do not know if Elm Fork allows alcohol on the premises. I will find out, for those that have to have a beer with their burger.

Shootist is working on links to hotels/motels in the area for those of you desirous of such accomodations. A new member to our society in the Arlington area has also offered his help, with a new 16 sxs to try out.

I need to see a show of hands for serious participants, so I can give Jeanie an idea of the size of our group.

That's today's update. Again, I will be at Elm Fork Saturday, and will get some photos and hopefully some answers.

Mike

Mike,
I drove by the yesterday and they DO NOT allow any alcohol on the premises. Looks like a lot of lodging near Loop 12 and 35E plus all the popular eateries. I'll get more details Monday. I am on the road this weekend. Sounds like a lot of fun in the making.

Marc
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy TX 16ga group,

Since you asked for serious "will be there's", put down the following two. Will this be a one or two day event? We'll be there for at least one day.

H.H. Hipshot
D.C. Bonecrusher

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I will be there!

Thanks,

Mike

wingshooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Will this be a one or two day event?

As it stands, we'll be shooting Saturday and eating there (I hope!), and we could all get together for breakfast on Sunday. I have commitments the rest of the morning. That doesn't mean that those who want to shoot on Sunday couldn't....

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Well, we are on the calendar at Elm Fork for Sat. April 21st, and they will make sure we have a place to do some BBQ. We had a group of about 25 from our church shoot the course today, and during our safety refresher before things got going it was asked if there were any 20 ga. shooters. Lots of shaking heads. "Everyone then shooting a 12?" was the next question. I shook my head. Mike, what you shootin'?

"16, so don't even try to borrow any shells, and it looks different than everything else in the rack so you won't pick up the wrong gun." Very Happy

Here are some visuals for ya.

Carts for the old guys

Jeanie, one of the owners

Yours truly with the Arrieta, barrel set "2", fixed IC and Mod. Even though it is Texas, the brush pants weren't necessary for Elm Fork, just the only jeans that were clean. Confused

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5: