16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Gauge Information wanted
mkrporte
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, I just purchased a Browning Citori 525 Sporting in 16 Gauge. I plan to use it for skeet, as well as hunting. I'm looking for advice on a reloader, as well as reloading information i.e., powder, wads, load data, etc.
What kind of reloader is recommended? I just plan to reload 1 oz. of 8 for skeet, and I'll just purchase 1 1/8 oz. 6's for hunting. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich Wink

Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I have the same gun as you and I use it for skeet and hunting. It's a great gun and it fits like a glove. You'll love it. Did you by any chance buy it from Bill Hanus?

First, skeet. 1 oz. of 8's crushes clay birds. I am currently gathering material to load 7/8 oz and see how that load works. It should pulverize those little clay things just fine. I'm still finding my way on a trap field with it so I can't tell you much about that game but I hit so well with my 12 that I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to figure out a new gun. That should get some blood boiling somewhere, talking about a 12 ga on a 16 ga forum.

I had the gun about two weeks and went to South Dakota with it for pheasant. The firs bird that got up, in range, dropped stone cold dead. After that the birds were getting up so far out in front of us that I switched to my 12 ga and some heavier loads. That being said, if it was earlier in the season and the birds were getting up a bit close the 16 would have gotten a good workout.

As far as a loader goes, I bought a MEC Sizemaster and the loads I have put together look just as good as the factory loads. I think if ytou look in the reloading forum here you will see a sticky for the Low Pressure Group. Join it and you will get pages of different loads that you can choose from.

See ya later.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

I just now got back from the club using 3/4 oz loads in my Spartan---they even cycle the auto's Wink Loader choice boils down to two questions---How much are you gouing to shoot and how many different loads.In your post you stated that you would just buy factories--this may/may not be possible and when you do it will surprise you of the costs.I would start out with a MEC sizemaster then goto a Grabber/9000-The 9000 is an excellent loader when fully tweaked--gain your experience on the SM.Down the road set up the proggresive of your choice and lock it down for the most often used load-skeet-.The SM can be used for field/trial loads.Trap?????folks still shoot that game?????????? Embarassed Embarassed
citori16guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

i've shot nothing but my 16 citori all year long in skeet league as well as annual iowa pheasant hunts, since 2001. have gone through plenty of shells, loading 95% of them. the most helpful data has been from BALLISTICS PRODUCTS, they sell a dedicated 16 gauge manual, the load data from hodgdon is nice too but very limited... for my money a mec 600 jr is the most flexible because if you load a 16 long enough you WILL end up playing around with fillers, overshot cards etc. to build lite loads. being non progressive th 600 jr is easy to do this with and they dont wear out or break. once you get hooked on the 16 you may find the other gauges in your cabinet gathering dust like mine do. good luck to you !!

mkrporte
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:37 am  Reply with quote

I ended up ordering a MEC 650 progressive through the local skeet club here in Ogden. It's on a military base, so we pay no sales tax, and we get really good discounts. I'm paying $183.00 for the 650 progressive. Cabela's has the same loader listed at $245.00. I talked to several guys at the range who own 650's and they say they are a dream to work with. Can't wait to get mine. Should be here late next week. Thanks for all your input.
Rich