16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Preferred chokes for sporting clays?
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

I got an L C Smith and I want to use it for clays, it is now Imp Mod and FULL, and I want to open it way up..... like .004 and .004? Any advice? What chokes do you all like for sporting clays?

Thanks,

Duncan

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

My Citori Feather takes screw ins and I change them as I see fit for the course I'm on. Sorry.

jig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Really depends on set up but if I had to speak generally and select just two it would be skeet and IM I guess. Shot 5 stand with my GTS Saturday and used skeet/LM and it worked pretty good. This week I will probably go Skeet/IM becasue the long crossers were tough with the LM. I have Briley screw in extended chokes which make switching pretty easy. I would think your depending upon what loads.shot your using your current chokes would be alright. Just load up high velocity/soft shot for open patterns and lower velocity/hard shot for tight patterns. With this methodology I can get full choke performance from modified with hard shot and IC patterns from Mod with soft shot, Then of course there are spreaders if you really want to open them up. Reaming chokes rings of such finality to me when loading techniques can accomplish the same mission without gun alteration. Get Bob Bristers book titled "Modern Shotgunning the art and science".

Good luck.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

IC in the right barrel and mod in the left if a fixed choke side by side; if you have tubes, try IC/IC. Some courses throw birds to ridiculous distances; so far that if it were an actual field shot, you wouldn't take it. I try to stay clear of such courses; the shotgun is a short-range shooter!

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Hey there Duncan,

You sure seem to have been gettin' a lot of guns lately? I don't like to be envious.

I just sent a 16 bore J.P. Sauer out to have the chokes opened to skeet I/ Lite modified. Modern cartridges just seem to pattern better than the older ones. Just like the TV commercial with the hot woman who says "40 is the new 30" -Skeet I is the new improved. What I'm saying is that today, we can get by with a more open choke than in days gone by. I guess I side-stepped your question. What do you expect from a New Yawker?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Here's what Dr 16g decided http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2402

USAFA 71
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

My barrels are being sent off next week, and I plan to have them opened up to SK1 and SK2, or about .005 and .015. This is for an old Stevens 5100 that is now choked .013 and .030. The new chokes will hopefully make the gun better for upland use and Sporting Clays, if I do my part.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,

Thanks for the input....I'm thinking I'll probably do something along the lines of the .005 and .010 (thanks for that post link, doc, that came in about 5 days before I signed on with this outfit Smile ), I agree, Skt 1 is the new IC. According to some charts, my chokes will be a tad tighter than SKT and IC, but will lend a little versitility on some longer clays.....I'll be fine, I can always take a little more out.....

much obliged......

Duncan

PS PGG, where's my light Parker?

16'er
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

With fixed chokes I'd go LM/IM, and carry spreaders for the close shots. Thats enough choke to get you to most targets, and doesn't handicap you too bad on medium close targets. I have IC/Mod chokes in my citori, but I have never switched them for clays. If i were reloading I could definatly see the use for spreaders on close targets and most rabbit presentations.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan,

Wha-wha-what gun?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
jig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:12 am  Reply with quote

I have to correct myself of an earlier statement:
Actually, I perpetuated a myth when I stated "high velocity soft shot equals open patterns and low velocity hard shot equals tight patterns'.
That is not entirely true in and of itself. The first part is true, that high velocity soft shot will give more open patterns from about 20 yards out because of shot deformation. The second part about low velocity hard shot producing tighter patterns is also true, but what I forgot to add was that hard shot at high velocity also equals tighter patterns. Through testing it was determined that hard shot will produce tighter patterns at any velocity compared to soft shot. Obviously true becasue it doesnt deform as much thereby flying truer and not losing its velocity as quick. but the best patterning shells tested were buffered shot. The buffer of course insulates the pellets from blow back deformation as well as down the tube and into one another. Then even soft shot will improve, but hard buffered shot is the ultimate. Soft shot is fine for most quail shooting and clay games that you don't mind faster opening patterns (unless you are competing). But in european live pigeon shooting competition the guns are mostly loaded with the hardest shot available, which is much harder than anything we have access to here in America. We are lucky if we can find 2-3% antimony magnum shot and God only knows whats beneath our nickel and copper coated shot. That said I will continue to use nickel for my very important live game loads where appropriate.Guess i better get out the ol pliers one of these days and do some testing on my stash of shot.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:33 am  Reply with quote

IC/IC. When shooting good ammo (premium shot) you will be amazed at how far you can break a target with IC. The more shotgunning I do the more I believe open chokes (skeet or IC) are almost always the best choices.
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:53 am  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
I have to correct myself of an earlier statement:
Actually, I perpetuated a myth when I stated "high velocity soft shot equals open patterns and low velocity hard shot equals tight patterns'.
That is not entirely true in and of itself. The first part is true, that high velocity soft shot will give more open patterns from about 20 yards out because of shot deformation. The second part about low velocity hard shot producing tighter patterns is also true, but what I forgot to add was that hard shot at high velocity also equals tighter patterns. Through testing it was determined that hard shot will produce tighter patterns at any velocity compared to soft shot. Obviously true becasue it doesnt deform as much thereby flying truer and not losing its velocity as quick. but the best patterning shells tested were buffered shot. The buffer of course insulates the pellets from blow back deformation as well as down the tube and into one another. Then even soft shot will improve, but hard buffered shot is the ultimate. Soft shot is fine for most quail shooting and clay games that you don't mind faster opening patterns (unless you are competing). But in european live pigeon shooting competition the guns are mostly loaded with the hardest shot available, which is much harder than anything we have access to here in America. We are lucky if we can find 2-3% antimony magnum shot and God only knows whats beneath our nickel and copper coated shot. That said I will continue to use nickel for my very important live game loads where appropriate.Guess i better get out the ol pliers one of these days and do some testing on my stash of shot.

I have a stash of copper 7 1/2's.....since I favor more open chokes, seem to do best with them even at longer ranges (out to 40 yds..), I will start loading up some coppers.....experiment on clays with them....

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:56 am  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
IC/IC. When shooting good ammo (premium shot) you will be amazed at how far you can break a target with IC. The more shotgunning I do the more I believe open chokes (skeet or IC) are almost always the best choices.

that's confirming to what I am beginning to conclude from the answers here, and also, my own experiences, both at the course and in the field....thanks....

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
Duncan,

Wha-wha-what gun?

I KNEW it......2 guns in the (your) hand are worth NONE in MT..... isn't that how that old saying goes?