16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunted Bobs this morning
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

Went with my friends Tubby and Chubby AKA Charles and Stephen. The three of us left Amarillo at 5:45 this morning and were out hunting by 7:00AM. We hunted till about noon when it became too hot. They have a lease south of Clarendon that we hunted on. We found three covies, had some points and put something in the bag. It was 29 when we started hunting and about 60 when we quit, We might have found more birds if we had enough dogs - we only had two Brittanys, two Drat Haars, one GWP, one English Pointer, and one yellow lab.

Right out of the box a bunch of hogs ran through us and my hosts told me to shoot them. I carry a few Double-Ought buck shot shells for hogs. I killed one - it was a 150 yard crossing running shot, the pig was doing about fifty. Tubby and Chubby claim it was a 30 yard shot and the pig was only doing about 15. Anyway here is a pic of Tubby holding my pig:

Here is nice pointing shot of Chubby, Hunter the Lab, Toby the GWP, and my Brie. Brie pointed, Toby honored, Chubby told Hunter to sit, and I shot the pic.

Here is a link to my photobucket - you are welcome to look around:
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/AmarilloMike/PigOnTheJAfeb2007/?

I shot the pig with my usual - Parker VHE 16 gauge with 30 inch barrels, cyl and 30/1000, 6-13oz.

Going to be a long time before I get to go again - tomorrow morning.

Best,

Mike

Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, looks like you had an interesting hunt. When I had a lease around Albany, I got a point on brush pile and flushed a sow that weighed about 200 lbs. Fortunately, she ran away and not towards us, and my dog didn't pursue. I was carrying a 20ga with 7 1/2s which might have worked at 5 feet but probably not at a 150 yds. Laughing We did shoot some large hogs there in the river bottom with rifles and heavy pistols. It was a neat lease.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

They won't back up your facts and you still call them friends Shocked Embarassed Wink
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

HC that was the first hog/pig i killed. Their lease is very nice and lots of game. Three seasons ago my dogs pointed a Bobcat. When he ran out I was too dumfounded to shoot.

HOA with my personality I have to take what I can get - besides they have a really good lease.

Best,

Mike

Aek29
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:03 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for posting the pics. That sure sounds like an interesting hunt. I spent several months with some friends in Guymon,OK last year and I forgot how nice the country was down your way.

I had the chance to hunt some quail and pheasant and we made several trips to Amarillo and I loved it. I miss the trips to Gander Mountain....always seemed to find something to buy there. If you find yourself at Blue Sky in the near future have a burger for me.

Aek
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Aek you are welcome and I love this part of the world myself. I can make a living and the availablity of hunting is very good.

I last ate at Blue Sky a couple of months ago and am anticipating going to Gander and getting a new reloader with a gift certificate sometime this week.

In the fall of 2005 I spent 12 days in the Swift Current area hunting Huns, Sharptails, and Praire Chickens. What part of Canada are you from by-the-way?

Best,

Mike

Aek29
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

I live on the east coast of Canada in Nova Scotia. I was in OK in Sept. '05 until april '06. Spent 5 months in Guymon and 2 in Tulsa.

I always jumped at the chance to visit Amarillo with the hopes of spending some time in Gander Mountain and Riverfields. I missed the chance to go to the gun show during that time. I heard that it was a good one.

I hope that your hunting trip to Swift Current was a great one.

Aek
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Aek it was an excellent hunt. Friendly people and unlimited places to hunt. It was really fantastic.

If you get back to Tulsa there is a giant gun show twice a year there.

Best,

Mike