16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  the best over and under
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sure this will cause some debate, and that is what I want. I would like opinions on what you believe the best over and under 20 or 16 gauge is and why? I'm looking to buy one, and I would like to stay under $2,000, but if you feel you know of one that cost $10,000 that is worthy of mentioning I would like to hear about it too.
fastarget
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Under 2000, from what I have been told, you can't beat the brownings.....personally have not had any problems with any of mine...neither has my father in law in the last 45 years....

BUT, ......what ever you buy needs to fit you.....so after you get a few suggestions , got and shoulder the guns you like and see which one fits...
enjoy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

In that range no debate--Browning Very Happy
Scatrgunr
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Alright, alright....I guess I'll throw the match on this puddle of gas. Beretta for a 20 gauge. Laughing
SShooterZ
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
In that range no debate--Browning Very Happy

I would venture an opinion that I think the B. Rizzini guns can hang with Browning in that range.

I've got both and the Rizzini is definitely a high quality gun. Wink
shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:12 am  Reply with quote

When it comes on smaler bores than 12 i prefer the France made Chapuis.They make the shotgun whith the specifications of the costumer in fair prices ! Criss.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Browning, Browning and did I mention Browning. Of course, it depends on what level of serviceability you require as well. There are many guns out there with varying degrees of back up, service wise. Do your research from the backend forward. First, ask all the gunsmiths you can find about the question of warranty work, parts availability, difficulty in smithing issues, dependability etc. They are very good resources as they've seen just about everything at one time or another. I advise Browning only because I shoot them well, they seem to be constructed in a way that mitigates recoil to my body and I know they are very durable, and back the product well. I don't shoot Berettas as well, plus they seem to give me more felt recoil. both my brother and I had 20GA Berettas for about 10 years until I got one Browning Citori and a superposed. I was very impressed with how well I shot them immediately with great improvment form the Beretta. Hence, I badgered my brother how magic they were until he reluctantly succumbed to the pressure. And, it was immediate magic for him too as he went 100% on roosters his first season with his 525 and scored several doubles (which I'd never seem him do with the beretta). I have very limited experience with Rizzini, but admire their looks a great deal. Same with Caesar Guerini which are relatively new. I love the looks of the guerini's and rixxinis so much that I have come very close to buying both of them, but resisted for reasons cited by many folks regarding service and warranty work (Rizzini's only). The Guerinis however, are drawing rave reviews for service and responsiveness of the factory. They are drawing less than rave reviews on their resale value though. Seems they depreciate real fast compared to Browning for example. Although that wouldnt neccessarily bother me too much if all else is in order. I have heard they balance, perform and shoot pretty darn good. The wood on them is beautifull and they are a bit odd and not everyone is out there carrying them - which I like. I'm just kind of conservative and of the mind 'if it aint broke don't fix it' which is why I stay so close to Brownings. Plus, I coveted them from early childhood cuz they were kind od seen as "you have arrived" when you finally got "the best there is". So yeah, I'm biased and a Browning guy down to my undies. Something very American about them that just touches me in a way I can't really explain or justify, since they have never been made in America. I think many Browning offianados are the same way. Old guys seem to really love them - I'm 48 so I will leave that to you to say if I fit that demographic. But many an old codger that I have or still hunt with still dust off there old superposed O/U's and proudly referr to them as "The best there is". I sure can't seem to find anything better in terms of pure shooting performance for me, especially for the money. And trust me I want to love and have tried to love many others. I just wish I couldve figured it all out a long time ago. I would have a huge collection of them if it werent for the fact I didnt belive it until I was about 40. I'm still curious about trying a Guerini though.....maybe just one more.....see? It's a sickness. Also hearing great things about the Merkels which I have already tried one of and it was a stinker with unregulated barrels that I couldnt hit the broadside of a barn with from 10 feet with spreader loads. But maybe a 1620....hmmmm would only be a 5000 dollar mistake. But see I'm very impatient too, if I can't shoot a gun well instinctively, very fast - it's gone, provided it fits. If we could all only try extensively before we buy it would all be so much easier. Problem is, that is very hard to do around these parts anyway. We have one shop that has an event every year where they bring out all the manufacturers they represent at the local range and you can demo at least everything they sell - but what about the rest? Ideally, you should at least attempt to try several guns before you buy. Otherwise, you'll be on a very long journey to find your personal "Holy Grail". But I can't say it hasnt been fun. Expensive, but fun. That's where ressale value comes into play. Wink
jig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Shocked Almost forgot - the other problem is that if you don't try before you buy, you might not really ever know if you shoot another gun better. Therefore, like me you carry on wayyyyy too long shooting something giving you mediocre or worse performance, just thinking all the while that its you and not the gun!!!! I will tell you when youve done that for a number of years and then finally run itno the right gun for you, its amazing and infuriating at the same time Confused . You just shake your head and think....dang, why did I do that all those years???!!!???? Rolling Eyes
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

you gonna start this again? Wink Laughing My vote, Browning Sissytori. What else? However, I'm not going to argue about those B. Spumoni and I. Rigatoni/just fair models with their macaroni shaped barrels. Its a no brainer. Cool
MGF
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
you gonna start this again? Wink Laughing My vote, Browning Sissytori. What else? However, I'm not going to argue about those B. Spumoni and I. Rigatoni/just fair models with their macaroni shaped barrels. Its a no brainer. Cool

Actually, Guy, it looks like you're going to start it again. Just two questions:
(1) Have you ever shot a gun by Batista Rizzini or Isadoro Rizzini?
(2) In your world, does Caesar Guerini fall into the same "B. Spumoni and I. Rigatoni/just fair models with their macaroni shaped barrels"?

And, one more time for the hell of it (and perhaps, just perhaps, for some of my fellow spaghetti-gun lovers): To some of us, Sissytoris are well-made, well-backed Japanese fence posts! Razz
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't shot this gun and have only seen one, but it sure looked nice: the Merkel 2016 over/under. I saw one at Scheel's in Iowa City last November. It was high priced but looked very well made as Merkels are---anyone own one of these? if so, what's your opinion?

MGF
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief, I'm in the same boat re the Merkel 2016 O/U. Would love to shoot one. I can't even stand to look at one very long, because I get a serious case of the "I wants/must haves," and my checkbook just can't handle that kind of "thinking." I believe they run around $6K, no? If that gun shoots as good it looks and upholds Merkel's reputation for quality, it must be one sweetheart of a shotgun.
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

It appears that the 2016 and 2116 may have been discontinued. There is no longer any mention of them on the GSI website. Beautiful guns, but the prices probably sealed their fate.

SShooterZ
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:49 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

Is it? Wink

I own and shoot both. The Rizzini is more "refined" in my opinion. Yet, I love the way my 5 Brownings shoot and I shoot them well.

If you REALLY want to split hairs, I'll throw my 20 Gauge Superposed in the mix and it would probably be the favorite pick from 9 out of 10. Hard to compare the Belgium guns to the Mirokus. Wink

Either way, you should have a quality gun that will last longer than most of us. Very Happy
steveyacht
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Beretta and (miroku) Brownings are, IMHO a coin toss. I prefer a Beretta because it feels better to me. I can also say that Weatherby (by SKB) and SKB be thrown into the mix as being very reliable and functionable shotguns in that category with the Weatherby models being of a better finish quality.