16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  the best over and under
870wingmaster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sure this will cause some debate, and that is what I want. I would like opinions on what you believe the best over and under 20 or 16 gauge is and why? I'm looking to buy one, and I would like to stay under $2,000, but if you feel you know of one that cost $10,000 that is worthy of mentioning I would like to hear about it too.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

You can spend any amount you wish----There is a breaking point where you are paying for more attention to hand detailing/wood/engraving than to actual design function and reliability Wink
jd6729
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:09 am  Reply with quote

If I was going to buy a new gun and want to keep the costs down I would go with the Dehaan. I have a SXS in 28 ga. and it's a nice gun. Fit and functiion are fine. Only drawback, the 16 ga. is available only with fixed chokes. But you can get into a nice gun for under 1m.

If I was going to spend closer to 2m, I would look for a decent used Beretta 682. These are excellent guns. I would much perfer a good used Beretta 682 to a Browning. However, Brownings are good guns and loved by many. I have owned several and always ending up trading them off. I think it might be how they fit me. Come to think of it the 682 may not be available in 16 ga. if that is what you are going for. I'm a skeet shooter and think in terms of a 12 ga. with tubes.

My two cents. Good luck. JD
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Beretta does not make a 16 ga. O/U or SxS at this time, at least for the American market. Who knows what they make for the European market. However, they did make a pretty nifty SxS in the 409 and old style Silver Hawk style guns with the double underlug and cross bolt lock up. These babies now command one heck of a premium in value but are well worth it IMO. They typically weight right at 6.5 pounds and handle beautifully.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

To my knowledge, Beretta never made a 16ga OU for import to the States. As Guy said, the last 16 they made and sent to this side of the pond was the 409 series. The Silverhawk was actually a 409 made specifically with the American market in mind. They came with a pistol grip and beavertail forend, which back then was thought to be what American shotgunners wanted--rather than the little round knob and splinter forend seen on the 409, which was a very European-looking gun. Some (I think most) of the Silver Hawks had a Greener crossbolt, but some--maybe later ones?--did not.

As discussed in the other thread with the same title, lots and lots of choices when it comes to 20ga OU's in your price range. Very few 16ga OU's.