16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  The best over and under
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote

I might be wrong on the names, but isn't this mini-inquisition being mis-directed at B. Rizzini? Shouldn't it be F.illi or FAIR Rizzini that has had the above mentioned problems?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Not clear at whom the "mini-inquisition" is directed, because at least one poster CLEARLY confused B and I Rizzini--different companies with different importers. That difference should certainly be clear on a 16ga board, because ALL the I. Rizzini (FAIR) 16's are on true 16ga frames, whereas the B. Rizzini 16's--at least perhaps until very recently--have been built on 12ga frames. F.illi Rizzini is, however, in the clear--I think. They're yet a different firm, dealing only in higher dollar guns. Guido Rizzini used to be involved with them (has since died), and I think the last inexpensive gun he had a hand in were the Zoli-Rizzinis imported by Abercrombie & Fitch in the 60's and 70's as "knockabouts"--but which, in fact, were pretty darned good guns. Both sxs and OU, no 16's (sadly!), and it seems there are more of the sxs around than the OU's.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

Larry,

just for the record I know the difference between the Rizzini guns. I thought this thread was "best O/U"
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:25 am  Reply with quote

In fairness to Larry, this happens nearly every time anyone recommends one of the B.Riz or FAIR guns.

Guy doesn't like 'em. A lot of guys who have had one or more do like 'em ... Larry and me included. And around we go.

I've ordered my third FAIR in 16 ... a Verona, which was pretty much the plain Jane or entry level of the FAIR-made O/Us. Obviously, I like FAIR. I also love my Sig/B. Riz in 20. While FAIR may not have the fit/finish of B.Riz or Caesar Guerrini guns, IMO they are hardly a second-rate O/U. Guy has his experiences and opinions; we have ours. So be it. Personally, my freezer's got a bunch of pheasant in it and and my low-gun skeet scores are respectable (well, at least for me, anyway). All in all, I'm pretty happy.

One fact often ignored in this much-visited debate, IMO, is that Citoris, as good as gun they are and as good a company as Browning is, just don't work out well for some of us. They don't fit, feel and swing all that well for some of us. So, they may be a one hell of gun and a solid value, but they're not the universal O/U for everyone, at least as I see it. For some of us, the Italian guns become a logical option (and especially for those of us W/O the cash for a Merkel or any experience with German O/Us.).

For anyone interested, here's a thread that includes a good explanation of the Rizzini families of gunmakers.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=69662

Just my POV on this debate; no bores aimed at anyone. Good shooting to all.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:52 am  Reply with quote

No. You're wrong. you HAVE to buy the gun I recommend!!!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
jig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I came so close to buying a FAIR and seemed bent on it.
But in the end, I once again went to browning. I want to like the FAIR's/Rizzini's but something or someone is conspiring against my ownership of one. I really want to be convinced they are excellent European alternatives for mid priced doubleguns. Every time I've gotten close to pulling the trigger (pun intended) someone talks me out of it. I think they put out a great looking product that obviously has enough curb appeal to attract airly discerning buyers. Problem is, they also have just enough detractors for me (and my hard earned money) that I just can't do it.
I end up staying with what I know is a safe purchase - Browning.