16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori Firing Pins !
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:30 am  Reply with quote

You Browning Citori guys might want to check this out. Wink

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=89866

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:37 am  Reply with quote

A little maintainance goes a long way. I use canned air and a tiny squirt of WD-40 every couple of monthes. It 20 years, I've not had a problem in any of my Citori models. however, this post is a great one for those who might have missed blowing out the crud for too long.
quinletc
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Um, I've NEVER taken my citori or my 686 apart. Embarassed

I guess that's pretty dumb, but I don't shoot them very often. Probably less than 5000 rounds through each, and they've never been particularly wet.

Still, I should probably check their guts. Thanks for a great, informative post. Very Happy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Great thread---after shooting A-5's and 1100's forever I realize the importance of maintenance/being able to repair your own gun-----WD-40???NOT IN MY GUNS Evil or Very Mad
rpm
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I recently had to replace the lower firing pin in my 16ga Citori after I noticed the primers had holes in them as the pin was pitted. It's a fairly simple operation and parts aren't especially expensive but routine maintenance will go a long way towards keeping this from happening in the field.
quinletc
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Why does everyone rip on WD-40? I have used it extensively on all types of guns, but only as a water-dispersant and cleaner. It's not a lubricant and it's not a particularly good long-term rust-preventative, so I don't use it for those tasks. It has a place, and it's quite good at what it does.

Next time you get your gun wet on a 20 degree day, you'll wish you had one of those little spray bottles! Rolling Eyes
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

I use WD-40 for exactly the same things. It is not a lubricant persae. It does dispell moisture if used judiciously and it is an excellent solvent of old grease and crud. It will dissolve caked up grease and conjealed oils without leaving the exposed steel dry and set up for rust like some solvents and degreasers will. Nor is it acidic or corrosive like acetone.

Notice that I said WD-40 and canned air. The compressed air blows the crud out of the pin channels. Otherwise, it will just reconjeal as the WD-40 evaporates and go right back to screwing things up. Come on folks. This is not rocket science. If you sweep the floor, you don't leave the dust pile sitting there do you?Rolling Eyes

WD-40 will remove surface rust and cold blue touch ups equally well like ducks remove june bugs from the june bug population. Laughing Gun traders and used gun peddlers just hate the stuff. It has apparently turned too many 98% percent perfect collectors back into 85% shooters with one swipe of a saturated wipe rag. This can be most embarressing if it happens right at the trading table. I've seen this happen more than once. Its always very entertaining and enlightening to observe the peddler back peddle. Laughing
quinletc
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Interesting point about the cold blue; I didn't know that. Maybe that should be S.O.P. for potential buyers of used guns! Laughing