16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rex powders I & II
old16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Have any of you had any experience with the Rex powders. A friend and I have tried some for trap just to see if there was any difference. The first thing we noticed was the recoil was very low and it seemed to do just as good of job smashing the birds as RedDot and 700X in the 12ga. We started to use it regular for trap because the cost is about half of what the other powders are.

I seen on the low pressure group ( which I belong ) that there is a load for Rex III. I didn't want to get into another powder so I tried some Rex II with 15.5 grain and it seems to work very well for the 16ga. I know this is not a tested load so I wouldn't recommend anyone to try it but I like to venture on the edge sometimes.

The Rex powder is not a clean powder but that does not bother me as long as it does the job. I will have to say that it burns a lot cleaner in my 16 than my 12.

Just wanted to knowl if anyone has had any experience with it.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

old16-Could you post your load here or pm it to me????I have a one pound of R2 and haven't tried it in the 16--yet.The 12 ga. boys swear by it for light loads
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Old 16:

This is the exact powders we have been shooting all last year .

we are loading Rex 1 as well as Rex 2 in 3/4OZ loads with the Galandie sporting 16 wad and yep it is a super load and quite clean #1 is lots cleaner tan #2

This is what we were killing quail and Pheasants with all season with great sucess look at my other posting if you want to hear something interesting I will post it for all to share in .

Regards Charles
h1tdk00
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

old16,

I've been using Rex 1, 2, and 3 in 16 ga. for several years and really like it. It is a very bulky powder and allows me to load 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads with no filler needed.
old16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:47 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
old16-Could you post your load here or pm it to me????I have a one pound of R2 and haven't tried it in the 16--yet.The 12 ga. boys swear by it for light loads

hoa. I loaded 15.5gr of RexII in Fiohicci and Super-x game load with a sp16 and 1oz shot. I used a .125 filler wad in the bottom of the shotcup.
I see some of the other fellows seem to like this powder also.
A buddy I shoot with has some Rex I. I think I may trade him a can and try it also. One thing for sure, you can't beat the price.

Leighton
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Who makes this powder and where can we find a handloaders chart?

spunky16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:53 pm  Reply with quote

I hear that it is manufactured in Hungary. I think also that Graf's is the distributor but it is available in many areas. I know that Connie's in Washington state sells it. Other sites have suggested that Rex I is like 700x and Rex II is like Green Dot. There is a web site and loading data online but no 16 ga. data provided.