16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  TROUBLE WITH THE NEW BROWNING
mkrporte
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Well, the new Browning Citori 525 Sporting showed up at the club yesterday. I took care of all the paper work, then tried to put it together to go shoot a couple rounds of skeet. Barrels went on fine, snapped the forend on...but the lever to lock the forend on would not close. Every guy in the club house (about 12) tried to figure out the problem...but we never did get it to close! Evil or Very Mad Anyone got any great ideas? Idea Luckily for me, I live about 20 mintues from the Browning Corporate offices. I will be making a trip there today. Hopefully someone up there can fix it for me Exclamation I'm not about to ship it off for months to Missouri. Any help is appreciated Confused
Rich - Ogden, Utah

Equismith
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Check the small screw that holds the locking lever on the forearm. Mine works loose often and causes this very same problem.

Last edited by Equismith on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Miss Libby
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:49 am  Reply with quote

Had the same problem with my White Lightning about a year and a half ago. Posted here and found I wasn't alone.

Solution I finally found was to tap it down VERY GENTLY with a rubber mallet. It's just tight because it's brand new. I was sweating it, but it worked. Now it works like a charm (like it's supposed to--no mallet Cool.

You can probably find my old thread to see the repsonses I got.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Every Citori I own...three, were like that to some degree when new. With a little pressure or a light tap, it will close. Just take your time and don't force it. It becomes easier to close as it breaks in over time.

You think that's difficult? You should try to get the foreend OFF a new Merkel!!!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

The problem is the wood 90% of the time. Wood swells and shrinks. These guns sit unassembled for monthes in shipping containers dockside waiting for government inspection and clearance. The wood will absorb the humidity.

Just go easy and tap it closed slowly and carefully. You do not want to split the wood. Be careful not to ding the wood. Leave the forend on the gun for a few days so the pressure and compression helps adjust the forend. If the problem persists, then send it back to Arnold. Its fully warranted. They will make it right. Don't let an un authorized repairman work on it. Its okay if you screw it up though. You are the owner. Browning loves you. Wink
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

I could walk into McDonald's holding a hamburger, but that might not work at Browning.....

Let us know if there is anyone in their headquarters that:

A) is willing to work on the gun

B) knows what they are doing

Jeff
mkrporte
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts helping me out. I live here in Ogden Utah, and the Browning corporate offices are about 20 minutes from my home. I drove up there this morning...without calling first. Checked in at the reception desk. The sweet gal there put me in touch with Kirk Jensen. He was heading to a meeting(remember the part about me not calling). He took my gun...and in 15 minutes was back...good as new with the lever closed. I asked him what he did to fix it. He took a wooden dowel about the same diameter as the forend chanel, wrapped the dowel with very fine grit sandpaper and lightly sanded the inside of the forend. I guess this is a common problem. After the guns are made in Japan and then sit until they are purchased the wood does swell. And that was my problem. Glad I didn't have to ship my new Citori off to Arnold for a month. Hope this may help anyone else with the same problem. Note: all three screw in the forend were loose when the gun arrived. KUDOS to Kirk Jensen and BROWNING for fixing my Citori in a very timely manner. Now if I can just work up a good 1 oz. skeet load...I'll be in business.
Rich - Ogden, Utah Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

That's a great story! Glad it worked out, and glad to know of the proper fix. (I never did feel right with that mallet n my hand . . . Shocked )
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

guns & carburetors - 2 items in a long list that should probably not be fixed with hammers...
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

You would think SOMEONE before the buyer gets possesion it would be checked to avoid the above situation.Recently one of the shooters was having trouble with his Browning-brand new--I pulled the stock and was shocked at the amount of metal shavings in the action Evil or Very Mad After a quick flush and relube he was back in business Wink For the money these bring there is absoloutely no excuse for the buyer having to deal with these problems.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

Thats nice to hear.

It's too bad that we dont all live within 20 minutes of Browning HQ. If we did we might all get great service.

Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Considering the thousands upon thousands of Browning guns out there, I think the Browning repair facility in Arnold, MO does an excellent job. I have no idea how many guns go through in a year, but it has to be an incredible amount.

I once was told by one of their reps that the biggest problem they have is folks waiting until 3 weeks before shooting season to send a gun for service, then getting pissed because they have to wait their turn. I have always sent a gun to them in the off season. They have always done an excellent job for me. However, it sometimes takes 3 to 6 monthes, because of the sheer volume of business they do. Plan for the wait and be patient. Also, keep tabs by calling every so often and ask for the same contact every time.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:07 am  Reply with quote

A large part of the work is on out of warranty guns and therefore is a for profit business. If a for profit business takes over 3 months to complete work in the "off" season then something is radically wrong.

The only reason I can imagine on why this kind of opportunity is not capitalized on is that they have trouble figuring out how to do the work profitably.

Perhaps the warranty work is always first in line and the billable work is just used as filler. As a business person I'd separate the two functions and give them different missions and budgets. Warranty work would be a cost center, billable to the manufacturing center which would result as a "non-profit". The billable work shop would be a for profit business, that had to compete with the independants smiths and respond to the customers service expectations....

Jeff

Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain Browning contracts quite a bit of its aftermarket work out to qualified smiths and refinishers. Most easy jobs like minor repairs, cleaning, and adjustments are done in house. Most refinishing and custom work is contracted. The work is held to a high standard. If the work is inspected and found wanting, it goes back for correction or gets placed with another firm. I understand this happens often enough to cause delays.

I had a BT-99 which went in for a simple repair come back with the box rifled and the gun cosmetically damaged by what ever was used to probe the package via some curious UPS handler. The gun went back for a total refinishing. The delivery date was set at mid-March. I was informed in early April the gun was not yet ready and would not be shipped until mid-May. I was told the first job was unacceptable. I waited. The gun came the 3rd week in May. For all intents and purposes, it was a new gun once again. Not only that, it was better than standard and glistened end to end like a new dime.

I've also had experience with several other companies about repairs and work. Ruger is also excellent, but cronicallly tardy. Smith and Wesson service depends on who you know in house. Winchester USRA was abismal. They were cronically late and as slipshod as can be. Remington? Well, we all know basic warrenty work gets billed pre hour unless you can prove it was warrenty work. It also takes longer than a year often as not. Beretta? Slipshod.

My point is that none of the major companies are noted for their speed. Browning and Ruger rate close in reliability and willingness to please. However, Browning has always gone the extra mile to make sure things are done very well to exceptional in my experience. Have they beern perfect? No. Show me anyone who has. But they are still the best at the service end of it IMO.
mkrporte
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I was very pleased with the service I recieved from Browning. But then, I've never had to ship anything off to them. Recently I puchased a Smith & Wesson model 422, .22 LR pistol for my son. This thing would misfire on the average of 50% of the time. For every 10 round clip, 5 would misfire. I sent it back to Smith & Wesson with a detailed letter of the problem and the different brands of ammo that we had tried in it (five different kinds - Remington being the worst offender, and CCI mini-mags shooting the best).
They were quick in the turn around time...however, the repair order didn't say anything about the problem. It just said they adjusted the slide. And it still misfires 50% of the time. You would think they would shot it before shipping it back with the same problem still present! I guess there are good and bad stories about every company, and their service record. Rolling Eyes