16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  SG16 wads
woodcock hunter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:17 am  Reply with quote

I see SG16 wads listed in the LPG recipes for Remington SP hulls, Are these SG16 Ballistic products wads ? I had heard the SG16 Ballistic products wads are to large in diameter to go into the Remington tapered hulls. Is that correct?
I have been using them in Fiocchi hulls and have a larger supply of the SG16 wads but want to switch over to Remington hulls.
Remington Black ,Green , and SP are all the same hulls ....right ?
Can the SG16 wad from Ballistic products be used in them ?

I will get this straight one day ???
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:26 am  Reply with quote

The Rem hulls are effectively all the same - for recently mfgr'd hulls - data for one is good for another - black, green, gold

I can't say on the wad questions though.

Also, please correct me if I am wrong.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:33 am  Reply with quote

Gualandi And B & P European wads are too big for Remington hulls. they can be forced in, but this will cause other problems. I would either get some Remington wads, or simply stay with the hulls with bigger inside diameters.
Dopey Fudd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:59 am  Reply with quote

I thought the gualandi and sp16, and tc-16 were the same thing, and the b&p fit better? so which is the better fitting of the 3? I don't know if I am reading into this all too much, but it seems like everyone has a different answer. and it is really confusing! Shocked

proud member of:
OHIO WATERFOWL ASSOCIATION (official division 3 recruiter)

finger lakes western new york waterfowl association
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Wad Data per BPI, "The Sixteen Gauge Manual, 5th Ed., p. 16

Wad SG16 Z-16 MM-16 SP16
Diameter 0.665 0.666 0.664 0.642 inches
Length 1.440 1.459 1.618 1.538 inches
Cup Depth 0.655 0.721 1.400 0.995 inches

The SP-16 and the R-16 are Remington wads, and are smaller in diameter. They are to be used in the tapered wall hullls. Like Rem.

Dopey Fudd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:19 am  Reply with quote

of th e tc-16, and the b&p which fitt better?

proud member of:
OHIO WATERFOWL ASSOCIATION (official division 3 recruiter)

finger lakes western new york waterfowl association
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Popski
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Some time ago I put together a little Exel spread sheet tabulating the dimensions of the 16 ga wads I have. Unfortunately I do not know how to import that into this thread. If anyone wants it they can e-mail me at: paul_niedzielski@earthlink.net and I will send it to you.

Basically, the ST-16/Gualandi wad measures 0.655" at the powder cup and 0.670" over the little molded ring.

The Z-16 Trap Commander measures 0.660" over the powder cup.

The Win WAA-16 measures 0.619" over the powder cup.

The Rem R-16 measures 0.635" over the powder cup.

The Rem SP-16 measures 0.635" over the powder cup.

The Activ G-32 measures 0.660" over the powder cup.

Do not yet have the Multi-metal.

P

These measurements were from my retained samples. Yours might differ slightly but shoud be close. Dias over the shot cup were similar.

RWG
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Dopey Fudd wrote:
of th e tc-16, and the b&p which fitt better?

They are the same wad.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Dopey, once you learn to seperate the opinions from the facts (basics from the bullshit), you can learn a bunch here. However, until then, you will probably remain as confused as all get out. The other thing to realize about this site is that anything you say or ask may or may not degenerate into a pissing contest and/or hooting match. Rolling Eyes

The T-C (Trap Commander) wad is a slick trade name Ballistic Products (BPI) hangs on its imported Baschieri & Pelagri (B&P) Z2M series wads for 12, 16, and 20 gauge hulls. The Gualandi wads are the SB wads for the same dumb reasoning. Remington makes an SP-16, 1-1/8 ounce wad and an R16, 1 ounce wad designed for their smaller inside hulls. They just simply call them the SP-16 and R16 wads for no particular reason. BPI has not yet coined a slick name for them yet. They just charge you up the gazoo for them without the BS.

A basic rule of thumb is use a wad designed for the hull you want to load. This will avoid a lot of problems with crimping, volume, split hulls and crimps etc. If you have no other good alternative, use what might work and accept the hassles graciously.

We 16 ga reloaders have had to learn to adapt to certain unorthodox practices, because the 16 gauge is generally overlooked by our domestic ammo and reloading componant manufacturers. One of these practices is to use one of the bigger based 20 ga wads meant for big inside 20 gauge hulls in the Remington 16 gauge case for light 7/8 ounce and 3/4 ounce, 16 gauge loads. The Remington hull inside diameter runs between .637" and .645" depending on the lot. A 20 ga wad with a base diameter of at least .615" will work as a 3/4 to 7/8 ounce shot wad in the Remington 16 ga hull. Once you fire the shell, the wad base skirt will plump out (obturate) to fill the hull and the bore as it travels out of the gun. It works fine.

Trying to figure out why will just pester your head. Don't go there. Just accept it as part of the 16 gauge experience and welcome to the club. I hope I have solved the mystery for you. By the way, say Hi! to Elmer for me. E-bidee! E-bidee! E-bidee! Thats all folks!!! Wink
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Folks:

I will have to agree with 16gg about using the smaller 20ga wads , this will work ( a few drawbacks but nothing too far out ) I have done extensive testing with the 12 big bore and most but not all wads will expand to a dia. of .820 upon ignition this is taking a wad that was designed to travel down a .729 tube but due to the soft plastic expansion it will seal the bores of the .780 -.800 big bores .

So 16gg is very knowledgeable indeed and able to distinguish WHAT IS , AND NOT WHAT IT APPEARS TO BE.

I have been working at the wad problem and perhaps one of these days we will all have the appropiate wad for our needs. But the cost is going to be higher than the 12ga or 20ga for sure , I can see that now , still working on making the price attractive for all ,

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:17 am  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:
Dopey, once you learn to seperate the opinions from the facts (basics from the bullshit), you can learn a bunch here. However, until then, you will probably remain as confused as all get out. The other thing to realize about this site is that anything you say or ask may or may not degenerate into a pissing contest and/or hooting match. Rolling Eyes

I've reread this thread a couple of tmes and can't understand what prompted this preamble. Please, 16gaugeguy, can you be a little more specific about which is basic and which is bullshit?

Mike, its a bit tongue in cheek. Read the the post, the whole post and nothing but the post. Laughing