16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  field commander vs trap commander
rowengarner
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two wads is? and can they be used interchangeably?
RWG
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

rowengarner wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two wads is? and can they be used interchangeably?

Marketing. Those are the names given to the same B&P (Italy) wad by Ballistic Products ("BPI"). Presently BPI calls it the Trap Commander 16. In older catalogs they called it the Field Commander 16. Or Z-16.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=020Z16

(I've edited this post to clarify an error I posted last night and to add information.)

Precision Reloading also sells this wad. Its in their "International Supersonic" listing as the TUWZ2M16GA.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/2004catalog.htm

Last edited by RWG on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rowengarner
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

I was beginning to suspect that but was not positive. Thanks for the quick confirmation.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sure where the field commander comes in. The BPI web site catalog does not list a 16 ga field commander. They have but one Trap Commander wad. It is a Baschieri & Pelargri Z2M series wad, and not a Gualandi design. I think the B&P wads are far better than gualandi wads for a number of reasons. As to who actually makes it is anyone's guess.

I am presently opening up a line of communication with B & P. I hope to get us a better price direct from the source. If I can, I would like to know who is interested in buying some so I can put together a large enough order to keep the price per 5000 down well below what we can get them for now.

I hope to include the Z2M 20 ga. 22mm wad for light 3/4 to 7/8 ounce loads in a Remington GL and SP16 hulls and the Z2M 16-19mm wad for 16 ga. Cheddite type hulls. The more confirmed orders I can assemble, the better the price will be.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I hope to include the Z2M 20 ga. 22mm wad for light 3/4 to 7/8 ounce loads in a Remington GL and SP16 hulls and the Z2M 16-19mm wad for 16 ga. Cheddite type hulls. The more confirmed orders I can assemble, the better the price will be.

As you open a line of communications with the Italians 16gg, you may want to reconsider what is highlighted red above......

I don't think we want another 19mm wad. We already have wads for the heavier shot charges...

I have attached a photo of the B&P label from a wad case of the 16 gauge Z2M wads as sold by Ballistic Products..... Please note these are 21mm and even these are somewhat short! Also see a case is 6,000 units and 20 gauge may be more yet......

Again,,,,,,,,,,,,, as you open this line of communications with the Italians what we really need is a 25mm or even possibly a 26-27mm height if our 3/4oz-7/8oz wad sans spacers is ever to be......

As our American friends waffle over the 16ga wad subject... Pondering necessary volume; even talking price increase before design! Just maybe B&P could furnish or has available the 25mm height wad we really need......

Slidehammer

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:44 am  Reply with quote

This is the only 16 gauge wad B&P makes. If I can cultivate a decent relationship with the importer, then maybe I can ask for it. I am going to take this one step at a time for now.

In the mean time, the 20 ga Z2M-22mm wad will work in the Remington hull nicely. you can use the 16ga. model in the Cheddite type cases with filler wads under the shot like I do with the R16 wad in the Remington hull. The Z2M series have an ample shot cup to contain the shot and card wad about as well as the R16 too. You can contact Circle fly wads directly for a very reasonable price on 28 ga. filler wads. Buy in bulk and you can't go wrong. They are on the web.