dbadcraig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
I'm looking for Pros/cons of each - please discuss

I'm leaning towards a Sterly - for now.

I like the way you are leaning-

"The Classic American Shotgun
By Jim Carmichel

Picking the classic American shotgun is a lot like being the judge at a beauty contest: You end up making a few people happy and a lot more unhappy if you don't happen to pick their personal favorites.
November 2006

….

The double-barreled shotguns made by Ansley H. Fox in his Philadelphia factory are classics for the simple reason that they are the most beautiful shotguns ever made in America and, for that matter, among the most beautiful boxlock designs ever made anywhere. Whereas the customary practice of gun invention was to design from the inside out, often enclosing the mechanism in a plain outer shell that required engraving or other embellishment to be presentable, the seductive lines of the Fox receiver suggest that it was sculpted by an artist. Like a lush maiden shed of her arrayment, the Fox needed no engraving to accent its sensuous contours and, indeed, the unadorned lowest grades perhaps best showcase their elegance of form. Small wonder that when the Connecticut Shotgun Mfg. Co. set out to recreate an American classic, its choice was the A.H. Fox, making it the only turn-of-the-century American double still being made and, for the record, better than ever. …"

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/gear/gunvault/article/0,19912,195481-2,00.html
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Sprocket,

As most know I'm a Fox guy, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. For some there's that sidelock mystique (sp?); I don't happen to be one of them, but that's not to say anything bad about the Smitties. I agree with Craig's post: to me the Fox guns are the most beautiful American double guns ever made. One thing that's cool is that the Sterlingworth is the same gun inside as the graded Foxes, which mean po' folks like me can sort of afford one! Though I guess the field grade Smiths are the same too, so... heck, I don't know. Enjoy the search; that's the most fun part!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

WHAT Shocked No serious ribbing yet?????
fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

I own both and they're both good. In all honesty, the Fox gets afield quite a bit more. Sterlingworth would get my vote if (perish the thought) I could only have one. Very Happy

Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

Personally, I like the Fox. Beautiful design and you give nothing up with the low end, the Sterly. They are beautifully balanced and a great handling gun. Elsies have no flies on them either. I would guess that the Fox would weigh a little less than the Elsie because of Elsie's sidelocks. Elsie's biggest downfall is the very sidelocks that make her so sexy. Over the years, they can act like a wedge and split the wood behind them. Another American beauty that should not be overlooked is the Lefever. You can't go wrong with any of them. Very Happy

Enjoy your quest - - Hc

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:56 am  Reply with quote

What HC said: "You can't go wrong with any of them"

As painful as it is to admit in a public forum-they're all great; Trojans, LC Fields, Sterlys, NID Fields. My S. Dakota pheasant gun is a 12g (oh the shame Embarassed ) 1915 Sterly because I have more confidence that the wood (not the action) will handle 1 1/8 oz. Federal Wing Shoks-but I still don't use Fiocchi GPs or the 1 1/4 oz. Wing Shok boomers. My hunting behind my setter pheasant gun with 1 oz loads is a LC and my quail/fun skeet gun with 7/8 oz loads is a LC-because they are 'a thing of beauty and a joy forever.' Very Happy (And just have SOOOO much more class than those Putz Parkers Wink )

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:47 am  Reply with quote

I was avoiding this topic until I seen what the Rev had to say.
I think I'll sell all my Parkers, and start collecting 16 gauge model 12 Winchesters. Wink

sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:22 am  Reply with quote

OK folks I appreciate all the comments and all - I know we all have our favorites too - currently the topic is on Sterlies vs. Smiths

I know the Ithicas and LeFevers are solid, etc. but thanks, no thanks. Aesthetics just aren't there for me.

Parkers are out of my range and the bank turned down my application for a mortgage so the Win 21's are out too.

My one maker I might sub in though would be Baker...

I'm looking for more info about the weakness of each - like the way the smiths tend to crack themselves. Any info on good years and better years would help too.

Oh and as far as the trash talk, I figure now that Feb is over folks won't take it personally anymore. And if anyone knows how to shave a half pound off a gun let me know, the Fulton I have got heavier over the winter somehow Wink
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Sprocket, okay the topic is on Sterlies vs. Smiths.
In my opinion they are both a very good gun, and one is no weaker than the other. If the head of the wood is not allowed to become oil soaked, and is not already cracked when you buy it, and you shoot common since loads in both guns. Neither one will crack. They say the workmanship is better in the pre 1913 Smiths and the Philly Foxes. If I was looking to buy one of these guns, I would buy the one that fit me best and not look back. It's just a matter of whatever makes you happy. Wink

txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I solved this dilema. I bought one of each, both 16's. The Elsie is choked rather tight and the Sterly is more open (the best of both worlds). Both are later guns '39 and '35 respectively, and neither has cracked wood anywhere. I know this doesn't address the issue of which one is best. But I am betting you will find a place for both in due time. They are both gems.

Marc
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:43 am  Reply with quote

I guess it's true that the Philly Fox workmanship is better. I have two SW's: a 16ga ejector and a 20ga (OK, sue me). Both are Utica guns; I figure they're more likely to have better shooting dimensions and 2-3/4" chambers, since I don't reload and wanted to shoot off-the-shelf ammo.

I've never compared them side-by-side with a Philly Fox, but I'm betting a dead bird wouldn't know the difference! If I was looking for closet queens I might care, but I'm not.

Ever since I saw Roger Pickney's article about his visit to an old duck club in DGJ a while back, in which he talked about taking a duck with his 1935 Sterlingworth 12ga and a paper shell, I've wanted to find a 12; if I find one at a decent price I'll buy it (sue me again!); it'll be Utica too. Then I'll have a set!

Anyway, they're as a good a gun as I deserve, for sure. I'm a field grade guy both in budget and philosophy, but I have to admit I like the simple adornments of the SW over the plain actions a lot of field grades have.

How much does your Fulton weigh? My SW 16 weighs 6-1/2, the 20 weighs 6 even.

Fin

Last edited by fin2feather on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
I guess it's true that the Philly Fox workmanship is better. I have two SW's: a 16ga ejector and a 20ga (OK, sue me). Both are Utica guns; I figure they're more likely to have better shooting dimensions and 2-3/4" chambers, since I don't reload and wanted to shoot off-the-shelf ammo.

I've never compared them side-by-side with a Philly Fox, but I'm betting a dead bird wouldn't know the difference! If I was looking for closet queens I might care, but I'm not.

Ever since I saw Roger Pickney's article about his visit to an old duck club in DGJ a while back, in which he talked about taking a duck with his 1935 Sterlingworth 12ga and a paper shell, I've wanted to find a 12; if I find one at a decent price I'll buy it (sue me again!); it'll be Utica too. Then I'll have a set!

Anyway, they're as a good a gun as I deserve, for sure. I'm a field grade guy both in budget and philosophy, but I have to admit I like the simple adornments of the SW over the plain actions a lot of field grades have.

How much does your Fulton weigh? My 16 weighs 6-1/2, the 20 weighs 6 even.

Fin

Fiin,

I don't know who you were directing the question to, but I will tell you that my Fulton Elsie FW weighs 6lb 12oz. I have no idea why so much.

Marc
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:31 am  Reply with quote

txshootist wrote:
Fiin,

I don't know who you were directing the question to, but I will tell you that my Fulton Elsie FW weighs 6lb 12oz. I have no idea why so much.

Marc

Marc,

Sprocket said his Fulton "got heavier over the winter"; I just wondered how much he'd save with a SW.

Fin

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 am  Reply with quote

What Dave M and Fin said Wink

Just FYI-my 28" brl 06' LC weights right at 6 1/2 # and my 30" 11' weights 6# 10 oz. The post-1913 guns, even with the Featherlight frames, tend to weigh more.

And as painful as THIS is to admit, LC's do have a bit less wood at the head of the stock and are prone to cracks around the sidelocks. I guess my point is that one probably needs to be more careful getting a LC-but there are a whole lot more out there. More than 250,000 LC Field grades (more than 40,000 16s) and only 33,000 Trojans. Gave my Fox book away-how many Sterlys were made?