16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sterly or L C ?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Fox shotguns: from the outside looking in you don't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it Very Happy !

Nothing special about Sterlingworths, really. The appeal for me is that I really like Fox shotguns, and the Sterlingworths are all I can afford! Someday I'd like to have a nice Fox AE in 16ga, but I probably won't. So, I'll muddle along with these old SW's!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
Alright-I'll take the heat.

What is so special about a Sterly? I've seen more than few and I don't get it. They're not especially good looking-materials were nothing special-fit and finish was average and most guns really had no upgrade work. Nice working gun but I don't get the prices. Considering that quite a few were made, where's the "pop". Is it just because its an affordable s x s?

Really-I'd lile to learn.

There's guys that will have a lot more to say than me, that know so much more, but for me, it's a true 16ga on a 20ga frame, making Fox the lightest American double made, the Sterlingworth the cheapest model....it is a classic and yes, it's reasonably priced (compared to "graded" model Fox's, Parkers, graded Smith's, Model 21's, etc), but prices have escalated a lot over the last few years even on these basic Sterlys, so they aren't plain cheap anymore, and 16's have gone up a lot, it's just basic supply and demand economics....it is such a classic lightweight American field gun, and guys love them that shoot them.... kind of a classic woodcock/ruffed grouse down east thing to start with, but they work pretty good out here on the prairie, too..... I have a friend named Dave Carty, outdoor writer/hunter, and he loves that thing.... they handle well.....also, they are real simple inside, kind of fool proof, making them dependable and reliable.....the innards don't break down much on them, fellers tell me...

However, note.... for the SAME MONEY, you can find really nice non ejector "no-name" English boxlocks with fit, finish, wood, engraving, etc.....that is much nicer than the Fox (but in 2 1/2" 12 bore as 16's command quite a PREMIUM).....I know where some really good deals are if you are interested...

Duncan

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan . . . the initials of that place you're talking about with good deals on Brit doubles wouldn't be HR&G, would it? And I agree with you. If you don't mind shooting a 2 1/2" 12, you can get a gun with much better fit and finish than a Sterlingworth 16, for less money. But the Sterlingworth is a piece of "Americana", and they are pretty simple and dependable guns. I suppose the Model 21 fans might argue, but I think the Fox action is the best design of all the American side by sides.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
Duncan . . . the initials of that place you're talking about with good deals on Brit doubles wouldn't be HR&G, would it? And I agree with you. If you don't mind shooting a 2 1/2" 12, you can get a gun with much better fit and finish than a Sterlingworth 16, for less money. But the Sterlingworth is a piece of "Americana", and they are pretty simple and dependable guns. I suppose the Model 21 fans might argue, but I think the Fox action is the best design of all the American side by sides.

no, and thanks for the book I got today..... but I'd never flog Charlie's guns on this site (since my name's still there, folks might raise a brow and smell kickback...), actually, it's another place where there are a couple of ejectors for around $800 that are good guns....PM me for more info.... and I agree with you about the Fox being best yank design FOR THE MONEY, but yes, the 21 IS better Very Happy

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
If you don't mind shooting a 2 1/2" 12, you can get a gun with much better fit and finish than a Sterlingworth 16, for less money.

There's always a "what if..." ain't there, boys? Let me say this reeeaaaal slow: here's an apple, and here's another apple. If you want to talk 2-1/2" 12's, head on over to the 2-1/2" 12 site. If ya wanna talk 16's, bring it on. Thanks for playing.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:37 am  Reply with quote

I left after the Fox SP didn't hear about the nitro special. I have a western arms .410 just like the nitro special it was my grandmothers first gun. I would never sell it but it was twice as nice as the nitro special that was in the sale. I only live 8 miles from the auction site. It is pretty much a junk auction you never see anything really nice just shooters that go for collector prices. I thought the SP was nice as a shooter to use for skeet and grouse I thought is was worth $900-1200. I would have paid $1500 because I'm a 16 gauge nut and like 26" barrels and a straight grip stock. It best I didn't get it the decision on which gun to take would have gotten tougher. There was a chrome receiver trashed Parker that sold for somewhere around $1200. I hardley ever get over there for the sale I'm usually hunting I guess I can cross it off my list permanently.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:50 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Larry Brown wrote:
If you don't mind shooting a 2 1/2" 12, you can get a gun with much better fit and finish than a Sterlingworth 16, for less money.

There's always a "what if..." ain't there, boys? Let me say this reeeaaaal slow: here's an apple, and here's another apple. If you want to talk 2-1/2" 12's, head on over to the 2-1/2" 12 site. If ya wanna talk 16's, bring it on. Thanks for playing.

Fin

oh Fin, lighten up, it was just an aside....me and Larry are so totally ruined for anything else other than 16ga, you know that.....in my opinion there IS no other site but this one!...... but out of respect for you, kind sir, and anybody else offended by the mere whisper of any of those other inferior gauges wielded by the ignorant and misinformed, I shan't ever let a casual reference to one ever pass my lips again, oh the shame...... do have mercy on me..... Smile

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Hey Brit,

It was supposed to be funny; sorry if it didn't come off that way. You know how 16ers are always quoted as saying 16's "carry like a 20 and hit like a 12"? I just thought it was funny that you guys are sort of saying those 2-1/2" 12's are "like a 16" Very Happy ! Anyway, all in fun...

Fin

britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:19 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Hey Brit,

It was supposed to be funny; sorry if it didn't come off that way. You know how 16ers are always quoted as saying 16's "carry like a 20 and hit like a 12"? I just thought it was funny that you guys are sort of saying those 2-1/2" 12's are "like a 16" Very Happy ! Anyway, all in fun...

Fin

....oh, what a relief, I thought you were still grumpy about the names those guys called you on that other nameless site and takin it out on poor old Larry and me, and I sure don't wanna get on the wrong side of you Very Happy ..... but if the truth be told, I guess I gotta say you may be (I say MAY be...) right about the Brit/Continental 2 1/2" 12......about the same weight and performance as our beloved gauge, I mean, heck, I made my living on them for 5 years.....oh crap, there I go again, already breakin the promise I made up in my last post Very Happy.....but guess what, I don't even own one (the only 12 I have is a Model 21 and I'm even considering tradin that for a 21 in 16 bore and daring to go "twelveless".... what do you think? Can it be done?) I think that might even make a good discussion topic......