<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  This is the looks of the NEW WAD
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

[imghttp://www.hunt101.com/img/478390.jpg]

This is one of the veiws I will post the other one if I can LOL [/img]
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.hunt101.com/img/478391.jpg

This is the second pic take a look I will give the specs later on what do you think ????
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.hunt101.com/img/478390.jpg

sorry messed up the first pic posting
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

I hope the specs tell me it a 1 oz payload wad Wink
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

I think you will find it to be 3/4 - 1 OZ ??? I know it will be able to do all in between 3/4 and 7/8 this is what I am shooting for already have 1 OZ avaliable to purchace .

Regards Charles
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

The base will measure .650 dia. with the powder migration rings at .660

the shotcup will be .650 tall and the center coulmn will be .825 bottom base to top of top base .

I placed 16gr of Rex II, AA16 Wad and 3/4 OZ shot in both Ched, and Fed . Hulls and filled it out with .020 spacers till I got a good crimp , this is how I came up with the measurments for my print.

Regards Charles
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Charles --your wad looks good I must say. Have you tested the load with Rex that you mention for velocity and pressure ?? Have You patterned with this wad ??
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Hello Captain:

This wad has yet to be built, but I have been shooting the Rex powders in 2 5/16" shells with the gaulandi wad in 3/4 OZ with great results .

If this wad comes to life then we will have all the loads run for pressures with loading data published .

Keep your fingers crossed that the #s all crunch and the designers can get the run times down ie: # of cavitys verses the # of shots per min. for total # of parts per hr.

I just finished the prints and as you can see the para solids last night ( or I should say my buddy did the prints I just furnished the dim. and the design , I can draw a box or circle but I dont draw LOL I use the CAD to pull up prints to look at and use it to figgure out my Trig. easier than doing it by hand LOL

I will give you all a rundown on whats going on .

We compiled the data on an 8 cavity mold , this mold would have a run cycle of 20 sec. thus producing 24 PPM. well this equates to just the labor not including the plastic to 3.5 cents per part too much cost in an 8 cavity ( but this is the size mold that is in my price range to pony up the money for ) so the Mold Builder wanted the prints done in Unigraphics with a Para Solid attached, to send out to a Mold Designer to see if a 16 cavity can be cooled faster than 20 sec per shot and how to design with the latest technologies out there. My Friend the Mold Builder is of old school and is not up to all the latest and greatest designs for thin wall parts and fast run cycles.

I will let you know that the cost of increasing the cavitys and placing the latest technology in the larger mold increases the cost expancially not just doubling as I would have thought , but that is why I know little of Molds, I am not a Mold Builder , just a simple Machinist .

Well that is the News for now will keep everyone apprised of what is found out after the designer gets ahold of the prints and where it leads to next ..

So you can see I am working on the problem , just takes time and dollars is all .

Regards Charles
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Charles,
Wow ! What a project. Sounds like a real expedition onto the world of high-tech manufacturing. I see you load and shoot short hulls as I do. Do you see this wad as fitting into that type of reloading ?? Hope so Very Happy I am excited and eager to hear any progress in your project. BTW, a lotta "justa simple machinist" guys have built a lot of things in this Country of Ours. GOOD LUCK
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Sorry Captain:

This wad is for the 2 3/4" hull .

BUT THIS IS THE BEAUTY you can use the hull with your 3/4-7/8 OZ loads till the crimps wear out and then trim them down to the short hull lengths and use the guandlai wad for more life from the hulls should get cheaper on the hulls this way , with everything going up on prices it is the best way to be cost effective on at least one componet.

I purchaced shot the other day at $29.30 a bag , Grafs didnt have a bag in the house so had to go down to the little stores boy oh boy this hurts ,

I will be getting my shot machines back out and running my own shot untill the prices come down cant afford much of this LOL

Thanks for the well wishing Captain I will need it with all of the cost going up on all areas of the economy ie: steel , alum, tooling , ect .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Charles, just a suggestion. If you want this wad to be universal for use in both Remington and Cheddite hulls, perhaps a .645" base diameter with .655 compressable rings might work better. .650-.660 will be too tight. One of the problems with Gualandi and B&P Z2M wads is that the actual wads usually run .007 to .010" over nominal projected moulded dimensions. Both Gualandi and B&P claim their 16 ga. wads are designed to .655" diameter. However, its a rare wad that is ever under .662". Most are .662 to .667. This is the actual moulded dimension.

You might want to go a bit smaller than .645-.655" when the mould is machined. injection moulded plastic articles tend to fatten up as they cool, just like ice expands. The folks who do this stuff professionally have their moulds cut on the minimum side to avoid size issues with the finished product. I'd ask around before having anything machined. you can always recut the moulds bigger, but not smaller.
jim18611865
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

When you are in production, and making millions, then your next project should be an ACTIV type hull!! In 16 ga. of course.
Are these hopefully going to be for sale??
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

You might want to go a bit smaller than .645-.655" when the mould is machined. injection moulded plastic articles tend to fatten up as they cool, just like ice expands. The folks who do this stuff professionally have their moulds cut on the minimum side to avoid size issues with the finished product. I'd ask around before having anything machined. you can always recut the moulds bigger, but not smaller..

Hello Guy :

I let my buddy the Mold builder read this post today , Well he got real tickled and Cackled quite a bit about your comment on PLASTIC EXPANDING well plastic as molded shrinks at a rate of 1-6% dependant upon the type of plastics used , his comment was that SOME PEOPLE STILL THINK THE WORLD IS FLAT .

This is where I keep saying that we all need to be able to SEE TO THE ESSENCE OF THINGS , TO WHAT IS. NOT AS IT WOULD APPEAR. This is a clear example that we all need to watch what we say as it could be taken out of context that opinions could become misguided facts when we mean well we need to make sure of our facts and state it is an opinion as such when we are unable to substanciate the facts from hypothetises.

My measurements will be right on the ball park after shrinkage but I thank you for pointing out that I need to look at the Rem . hull I discounted this hull after shooting approx 500 of these and the crimps were burnt and torn off so bad that I totally discounted this hull but I gather from your comments and others that I should diasect one or two of the hulls and take the internal dim. and make sure this wad will work for all the hulls mentioned . But I feel that Remington will soon discontinue the 16ga loading all together and the supply of hulls will continue to come from overseas in the form of Cheddite and Fiocchi .

Regards Charles
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:

My measurements will be right on the ball park after shrinkage but I thank you for pointing out that I need to look at the Rem . hull I discounted this hull after shooting approx 500 of these and the crimps were burnt and torn off so bad that I totally discounted this hull but I gather from your comments and others that I should diasect one or two of the hulls and take the internal dim. and make sure this wad will work for all the hulls mentioned . But I feel that Remington will soon discontinue the 16ga loading all together and the supply of hulls will continue to come from overseas in the form of Cheddite and Fiocchi .

Regards Charles

I commend you for your efforts Charles.

I certainly hope we don't "spoil" a good thing by making it undersize right out of the chute!
You could be very correct about this Remington black hull disappearing either from lack of demand or realization of the junk that it is! The fair weather boys would find out what they have if they took these hulls out in the bitter cold. Heck, put some loads in an ice chest with a chunk of dry ice and a thermometer and normalize then around five below or so... Then shoot them in summer....
This winter has been an eye opener with this "black beauty" for me! Whatever the plastic formula, it seems to get brittle as glass when cold....

Another thought Charles........ Perhaps a flared over-powder cup could be incorporated at this point of design?? If the lips flared outward a few degrees from the solid base section of the over-powder cup, the wad would still seat easily in a tighter fit (smaller I.D.hull) yet still touch the hulls walls with a little compression in the hulls that will eventually be all we have...

Thanks for your efforts Charles....

Slidehammer
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Slidehammer wrote:

You could be very correct about this Remington black hull disappearing either from lack of demand or realization of the junk that it is! The fair weather boys would find out what they have if they took these hulls out in the bitter cold. Heck, put some loads in an ice chest with a chunk of dry ice and a thermometer and normalize then around five below or so... Then shoot them in summer....
This winter has been an eye opener with this "black beauty" for me! Whatever the plastic formula, it seems to get brittle as glass when cold....
Slidehammer

Slide, et al,

A good friend of mine is a plastics engineer working in product development - his older brother is also a formula guy and very well known in the materials business for his talents.

I've talked with my friend, and he with his brother, about the materials of a black rem hull - they both had the same thing to say and I'll paraphrase so forgive me if it's not exactly 100% correct or accurate WRT the rem hull:

"Most manufacturers using black colored plastics understand that the materials are not always 100% virgin materials - scraps formed in production, floor sweepings, malformed/imperfect parts, etc are often ground up and re-used for the black formulas - especially if the parts being made are one-time use, disposable, etc."

Perhaps the plastic seems like junk for a reason Wink but to many of us, it's what we're still using until our supplies run out (Win AA who?).

Charles - thanks for looking at the Rem hull too - until I can get access to a readily accessible supply, I'll be using them in my reloads. I'm not really looking for cheap/inexpensive components, just readily available would be nice