16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Win Model 24 - 16ga
JT
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

What can you guys tell me about a model 24? I saw an ad for one, haven't called yet. Really doesn't say much about it, but he's asking 500. My book shows that to be a tad high, but were these good guns or not really? Thanks, JT
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I'd rate them somewhere between a 311 Stevens and a Nitro Special. They've been described as a sausage shaped action on a piece of military grade walnut. Nothing fancy but a solid gun. I found one with a straight grip a couple of years ago, didn't jump on it right away, and I've been kicking myself ever since. As always, condition will dictate the price on a used gun.

old16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

I've had 2 of them in 16ga. Very well rugged gun. I would rate them easy with a nitro specail. One gun I completely recondition and turned out very well. In fact the gun shop I traded it to kept it after he closed the Business about 10yrs. ago. The fellow won't part with it I would like to have it back.
I would say the way these sxs are going right now 500.00 isn't bad if the bores are not pitted. If you don't take it e-mal me and I would be interested. Good shootin

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen them sell for more in worse condition
grouser47
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

I aquired a 16 ga model 24 last summer. Had a 12ga & didn't like it (a real boat paddle) The 16 ga is a very different story, it's a death wand in my hand --- can not think of another gun that I'v shot better. Shot down gun sporting clays at a RGS shoot last fall and won the side by side class with a 68 out of 75. In fact came in 3rd overall. The only negative thing I can say about my 16 ga model 24 is that it is very fussy about the sizing of it's ammo. Mine is tightly chambered so I plan to correct that by having the chambers polished accordingly. Really like the different picture when looking over the rib.
If the gun fits you -- buy it -- you won't regret it!
Cheers.

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:41 am  Reply with quote

Save your money! Very bulky gun not well suited as a game gun. Poorly designed cocking and ejection system. Don't be fooled cause it has the old (used to be a gun company) winchester name on it. IMO it rates well behind the 311,Nitro Special and Western ASrms SxS's. Don't mean to be negetive but to me it is" the King of Klunkers". Yikes, gotta stop.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Hey Capt, tell us how you really feel. Razz

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:56 am  Reply with quote

TJC and Guys
Sorry to be an "old fart on this one !! Embarassed but them win.24's are my all time least favorite SxS. I get this way when the ground is frozen- My Wife says!
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Win 24's are not exactly pretty. In fact, a lot of people think they're downright ugly. But the advantage they have over many vintage American doubles is modern stock dimensions. I've owned a few 24's, handled a lot more, and they all seem to fit pretty well when I throw them up. I don't think the 16's and the 20's are bad field guns, although I have seen a couple with extraction problems (they don't have ejectors), and I agree that they can be fussy about shell size. (It's mostly a matter of finding which brands don't work, and not using them.) From what I've seen recently, $500 is a good price for a 16ga 24 in pretty good shape.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Gee, I've always kind of liked them Embarassed . Never owned one, only handled a few, passed on a 16 years ago and have always been sorry. The 12's feel like a cannon, but the smaller gauges felt pretty good to me. They are one gun that brings out strong opinions, however!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:19 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16ga Mod 24, that belonged to my Grandfather. I had it completely reconditioned and it serves me very well. I enjoy its weight and feel. It's not as pretty as my Parker or my Elsie, but its fun to shoot, nonetheless. I would give $500 for another just like it.

Regards,
Charles

JT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

He still has it. 28" Mod/Full. Said to be in good condition but the bluing is "worn". He did say it's worn evenly, not rusted or anything. No cracks or chips in "nice wood". It does have a recoil pad installed, but he got it from a guy who is 6'4" and he isn't sure if the stock was cut or just the pad added to lengthen it for the guy. He says the bores are good....anyway, he is going to send me a pic...JT
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:36 am  Reply with quote

it's a good price.....if that's what you want......I think I'd buy a 16 bore Nitro before a 24, however (you should be able to get a good Nitro even cheaper than $500)......the guy above who said "king of the klunkers" wasn't just whistlin' Dixie.....but truly, opinions vary on this model as much as I've seen on any!! One man's drink is another man's poison, right?

rayb
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:58 am  Reply with quote

I paid a little less than that for mine about 2 years ago and really like it. What i like is that it's a plain working gun without a lot of fancy stuff (i think the current term is bling-bling ???) or scratching on the sides of the action.

I often shoot mine using 20 Ga chamber mates when i find a bunch of promo 20 gauge ammo on sale cheap. Works ok at the trap range for me, haven't tried it in the field.

To me it seems fairly light, others apparently feel differently (as stated above)

Would i buy another??

If i had the cash on hand and there wasn't anything else available that day that interested me where i was shopping, yes i'd get a second one.

There have been some previous posts on this gun, might do a search.

I'd say buy it, shoot it a while, if you don't like it then trade it off on something else more to your taste.

Just my opinion, your results may vary.

rayb

JT
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

You guys that have one, have you ever put it on a scale? Wondering what it weighs...Thanks for all the input thus far...JT