sbs470
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

FANTASTIC

THE 27.5" barrels began in the 1930s

good shooting
sbs470
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

...what a gorgeous little Coggy, should serve you well.....is it a self opener? (at least until you pull the trigger, then self opening springs divert to ejection...) is it one of those that springs open on the break if it hasn't been fired?

Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Britgun, it does have assisted opening. I wasn't aware that it did until I started to assemble it. The ejectors were out fully and when I went to push them in I noticed that they were under spring tension. I would like to know everything I can about the gun. The serial number is 47020. Is there an online database where I can get the information like manufacture date and possible name and location of original owner? Truthfully, any information or opinions from anyone on this gun would be greatly appreciated.

Skip
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:51 am  Reply with quote

Snipe Hunter wrote:
Britgun, it does have assisted opening. I wasn't aware that it did until I started to assemble it. The ejectors were out fully and when I went to push them in I noticed that they were under spring tension. I would like to know everything I can about the gun. The serial number is 47020. Is there an online database where I can get the information like manufacture date and possible name and location of original owner? Truthfully, any information or opinions from anyone on this gun would be greatly appreciated.

Skip

sniper,

All I know is that this partial self opening feature (as opposed to a Purdey, which kicks your action open regardless of fired or unfired) is a phenonmenon specific to a few Coggy models, and from the outside of the pic, it looked to me like one of them. I never ran across any other English guns that allowed the ejector springs to assist in opening the UNFIRED action like that, though a couple French Robust guns I own have that feature too. It all changes however (as you will discover) after you fire the gun. Then it opens as any other, for the springs divert back to the ejectors to kick out your empties.... there is a fellow who posted earlier that seemed to know a bit about Coggy's, and I even recall a book on them written a few years back. Do a google search, or maybe somebody will pipe up with the info. I handled so many various Coggy models, they changed their models often over the years, and found the one you have to be about the sturdiest. The most frequently encountered model is the Avant Tout, not sure if yours is one of those, and would say so on the top rib if it were. Some of the models were a little touchy or finicky, and weren't wildly popular with the British, but we Americans gobbled them up. I could not keep a Coggy in stock very long when I had the gunshop 1997-2002, and when in the UK on buying trips, bought all I could because of the warm reception they received over here, plus I could buy them cheaper than most other makers' guns on the whole, due to a perception in UK of unreliability which I must say was never backed up in my experience shooting them, or hearing back from customers that the thing seized up or somerthing.... again, yours looks like one of the good strong ones.....

have fun,

Duncan

sbs470
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:00 am  Reply with quote

snipe hunter
your serial number appears to the last gun produced in 1914.
the action frame looks so much like a Cosmos which is the bore gun but I think it is an Avon Tout but what quality I dont know.you can go to C& H web page and order a historical sheet of your gun www.cogswell.co.uk.

good shooting
sbs470
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:04 am  Reply with quote

sbs470 wrote:
snipe hunter
your serial number appears to the last gun produced in 1914.
the action frame looks so much like a Cosmos which is the bore gun but I think it is an Avon Tout but what quality I dont know.you can go to C& H web page and order a historical sheet of your gun www.cogswell.co.uk.

good shooting
sbs470

thanks sbs470, glad you showed back up with some directions and data, Smile

Duncan

britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:07 am  Reply with quote

....incidently, those springs are housed in that long rectangular box on the underside of the barrels themselves, rather than in the forend.... it is the same with the French guns that do the partial self open job, the springs are on the barrels.

Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:51 am  Reply with quote

I appreciate all of that information. I requested information from Cogswell & Harrison.

Quote:
The most frequently encountered model is the Avant Tout, not sure if yours is one of those, and would say so on the top rib if it were.

The only writing on the rib is "Cogswell & Harrison Ltd. 141 New Bond Street, 226 Strand, London".

Skip
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Snipe Hunter wrote:
I appreciate all of that information. I requested information from Cogswell & Harrison.

Quote:
The most frequently encountered model is the Avant Tout, not sure if yours is one of those, and would say so on the top rib if it were.

The only writing on the rib is "Cogswell & Harrison Ltd. 141 New Bond Street, 226 Strand, London".

Skip

let us know what they tell you, we are interested,

thanks,

Duncan (brit)

Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I got my reply from C & H. The only information they gave was that the gun was completed January 21, 1914. They stated that there are full original records in their archive section for that year. They also mention a second record in a later year. It was mentioned in one post that the gun would not have come with 27.5" barrels until the 30's so maybe the second entry is for the fitting of the current barrels. If I want to get the full records the fee is $88. I'm not sure if knowing original owner, measurements, price paid, and a certificate registering me as the current owner is worth that to me. Sometime down the road it might be and if so I will do it then. Now I can focus my attention to finding a light load to shoot in it.

Skip
britgun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Snipe Hunter wrote:
I got my reply from C & H. The only information they gave was that the gun was completed January 21, 1914. They stated that there are full original records in their archive section for that year. They also mention a second record in a later year. It was mentioned in one post that the gun would not have come with 27.5" barrels until the 30's so maybe the second entry is for the fitting of the current barrels. If I want to get the full records the fee is $88. I'm not sure if knowing original owner, measurements, price paid, and a certificate registering me as the current owner is worth that to me. Sometime down the road it might be and if so I will do it then. Now I can focus my attention to finding a light load to shoot in it.

Skip

cool, thanks for the update, rebarrelled, eh? it would be nice to know if it was rebarrelled by Cog themselves, but that costs eighty eight bucks....

take care,

brit

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Snipe? Ya boy! We have them up here in Ma in the borderlands just above Cape Cod. Season opens the first Monday in September and goes through to the end of November. It is the longest non-waterfowl migratory bird season we have. The other thing is I'm probably the only one who hunts them regularly in the whole state.

Snipe are both challenging and fun. I find them in good numbers around partly inundated cow pastures, abandoned cranberry bogs, and wet grassy areas bordering woody swamps and river bottoms. That's just about anywhere these birds can find semi-aquatic snails, slugs, worms, and crustaceans like tiny crawfish, grass shrimp, and pill bugs yet have dry areas to rest up in.

A good low nosed versitile breed pointing dog like a brit or shorthair who is exposed to them early on is always an asset. My old Hiedi dog lived to hunt them. She would rather hunt snipe than anything else and she was good at it too. The first bird I ever shot over her was a snipe. Once she mouthed one, that was all it took. She'd work them from then on and soon learned not to crowd them like a quail. They are touchy.

Since you have a 16 now, and it looks like a beauty I wish to add, here is a load recipe I use that works like death on wheels for these little speedsters. I load a Remington GL16 or SP16 reprimed case with 16 grains of Green dot, one R16 Remington one ounce wad, two 28 ga. .135" thick card wads in the shotcup under 3/4 ounce of Number 9 or Number 8.5 shot. any standard primer will do. I use an STS or a CCI 209 interchagably.

These little poppers do not kick at all, pattern well, and drop these little birds perfectly. Your gun chokes will work fine for just about any shot you will get from low outgoers to those high overhead fly bys they always seem to do after being flushed. Snipe are fun, and about the best kept secret in my neck of the woods. I think because they are not so easy to hit unless you can shoot well, it thins out the ranks pretty much. Works for me. Welcome to this zany little ship. I think you will fit right in.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Snipe! Beautiful gun. Question: Who makes the bird straps that you show in your pics? My new hunting coat does not have a game pouch, and those look like just what I need when I don't feel like wearing a vest over the coat. Thanks.
Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter, I have a few different straps. The first one below is from Dunn's. I haven't looked through their catalog in years and don't know if they sell them anymore. The second one I made myself before this past season. It is from soft deerhide which draws up better than cow leather. I put a clip on it so it is easy to put on or remove from a cartridge bag. The one in the bottom picture was given to me by a snipe hunting friend from the Phillipines. It is made from para cord and also has a clip so it is easy to disconnect. With the clip in the middle instead of the end the birds don't hang to the ground. However, for a photo op the clip is better at the end.

Skip

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you Skip. I will check Dunn's. Haven't researched it much, this is the only one I've looked at........

http://www.theduckstrap.com/sys-tmpl/door/

By the way...so sorry to see you don't get many of those Snipe!!! LOL